wildgirlnewbie
14 posts

Posted:
Well, I just need to vent...I must do something wrong with the five beat reverse...I don´t know how this happens, but every now and then the poi comes right for my face! I almost lost my teeth the last time, not to mention the bruises on my forehead. Luckily I never broke my nose...;) People already think I get beat up by my man wink
While I NEVER hit me while doing other stuff , including the three beat reverse, and by now I´ve almost cracked the three beat behind the back (only my butt is in my way at times wink but that doesn´t hurt...)..so that damn five beat reverse bothers me to death!!!! So...any ideas anyone? S.o. who had the same problem?? Is that about practise or am I making a mistake somewhere? It doesn´t relly FEEL right, if you know what I mean!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
There's plenty of threads about this if you search but two important tips...

1) really make sure that the hand that you're twisting the other around (i.e. left hand when going right->left and vice versa) is pulling the other hand across your body. Otherwise you'll smack yourself in the face as you've noticed wink

2) try doing it with the backs of your hands touching - I've found it makes it easier to keep them properly split time

"Moo," said the happy cow.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Point 1 above is good.

Also try moving/rotating your whole body to the side; again shifting it out of the way of the poi.

Give 2 a try, but for me 5-beat is more akward with backs of hands touching, and I find it less nice looking.

I found myself hitting in the face on one side of the five beat only. I got round it by forcing myself to hit in the face on my good side (took time to do that)- that gave me understanding of what I was doing wrong and I could then do 5 beat on my weak side without hitting.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Well for point 2 either backs of hands touching or front of wrists touching I guess - just as long as it's the same bit on each arm that touches smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
MAKE YOUR STRINGS LONGER,,,

that's all you need.. the hand motions are EXACTLY the same, and the poi won't hit yoru face, the string will.. as a bonus.. the longer strings make it spin slower so you can work into the motions better..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Well for point 2 either backs of hands touching or front of wrists touching I guess - just as long as it's the same bit on each arm that touches

I dont know that this will help much. I never used this method, always went with the bottom touching the top with no problems. Its just a matter of preferance methinks.

I found it a good thing to kind of move my body out of the way when learning the reverse 5 beat. IE when your poi are crossing to the right side, shift your body to the left a bit while turing your upper body to face the right. And vice verce.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, in fact i couldent do the 5 beat untill i relaised that the tands shouldent be back to back.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

wildgirlnewbie
14 posts

Posted:
Thank you!!!
Well, my strings are already as long as possible, so longer Strings won´t do it. frown But There are a few nice ideas. I´ll try to shift my body even more...and I gotta really concentrate on my hands...I´ll fill you in on how good things worked out tomorrow! smile