Forums > Meet Others > Where are all the South Africans????

Login/Join to Participate

dancefirenewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hi to everyone out there! ubbrollsmile

Well i'm a "normal" guy from Cape Town in South Africa and i seem to be the only one on the mad2 internet!

This looks really bad on South Africa's part,. the only forum that used to be empty untill,.,.,now,.,.,!peace

Whats going on guys? Show S.A & Cape Town some respect ,.will ya! : weavesmiley

Hope to meet some cool people through this forum,. so keep chatting! bounce

let the gaurdians of the light scent the wind's with parrafin and paint the skies with fire!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i'm reliably informed that net access is rather extortionally expensive in SA (about 90 uk pounds a month for 3Gb capped ADSL), perhaps that's a reason?

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I know there's a woman in Durban (sp?) that's taught at least 100 people there to spin... so there ought to be some spinners in SA.

NadishomeLiving life to the full!
177 posts

Posted:
My family come from SA and still have family out there!! Taught a cousin how to do it while in Malawi at Crimbo (I know its not SA but is in that part of world!!)

I know about some girlies up in Joburg, still learners though but a great laugh!

So wana be back in Cape Town! Love the place!

Life is short!
So lets leave a mark,
for people to remember!

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Oh theyre out there, but youre right, most South African's on the net are in different countries now, I'm one of them! And I dont know if I'm talking about the same woman as flid, but I also know a lovely lady who makes poi for a living, does all the festivals, holds workshops and generally lives poi, in the Durban area. If you seek, you shall find...

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
From Cape Town here smile

It is a growing community. small, but growing. you'll see lots of us in the future! there are a few other guys on HoP who signed up, but the forums move way too quick [for me at least] to keep up with all the conversations!

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

RAZESILVER Member
How much for a truckload of feathers?
108 posts

Posted:
There are quite a few poi spinners in SA, but I don't think they know about HOP. I'll be back in Jo'burg at the end of July and then I'll look for others. Instead of complaining that there aren't any spinners, why don't you generate interest. that's what I'm gonna do - spin at malls and stuff with "soft poi" and see if anyone's interested. I wanted to do poi for 3 years but there wasn't anyone to teach me... so I taught myself. a lot of people are scared... so you gotta show them it's not so bad smile

If you eat your dessert before your dinner, you will live longer. Living longer means more fire....

Flåmëdüdè¿!member
7 posts

Posted:
JO'BURG REPRESENTATIVE:

Been spinning for 3 years now,back when i started there were never any
S.Africans on here so i havent been to the forums for a long time.

We have a weekly gathering every sun nite at the Sandringham Boy Scouts hall from 7:30 - 10:30. Not this week (5 June)

If you guys ever feel like chilling come check us out wink

We need to really need ti raise awareness of poi,staff etc. in S.A

l8r

I Like Fire -- It BURNZ

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Hi there Dancefire.

I was in Cape Town over Christmas, and there are two regular meets every week that I know about. I don't know, however, if they meet over winter, though I don't see why not...
The first is every Monday night, on Clifton 2nd beach, from sunset onwards. You have to take your own everything, drinks, poi, etc, then just plop on the beach and enjoy.
The other meet is every Wednesday at Cool Runnings in Observatory, this one is loads of fun, lots of talented people there. Its run by a guy called Jean Pierre (sp?) (JP), he provides paraffin, and if you don't have fire poi somebody will happily lend you a set. I think you can contact him at firetribe dot co dot za.

I will be over there briefly in October, so if you want to meet up for a spin, let me know.

There are a number of talented spinners where you are, but as someone noted earlier, not many of them seem to post...

Hope this helps, enjoy

Ryan

Don't worry, be happy...

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
*very-hopeful-but-not-too-expectant bump* umm

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

JLRnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hey

I'm from Cape Town, I am currently in the UK. Coming back for good in April. I am really sick of the [censored] weather here. I can't wait to go back, to start with my fire dancing, I have not done it before and didn't really know that there were a communtiy in the cape, that does this of thing. Guess I wasn't really looking. I will see you all in April. Does anybody have any tips for Cape Townian returning, how to get into this and where to go?

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Yes - Send me a PM when youget back to Cape Town. and check out www.firetribe.co.za. It isn't up to date, but gives you a bit of info about the Cape Town fire scene. The guy who runs Firetribe (J-P) makes other (fire and practice) toys as well as the poi advertised. he makes really good stuff.

But, while you are in UK, start learning there. those damn Brits are very very good! bring some tricks back home for us:)

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

Kahiataynewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Hiya, going back to a lady mentioned in Durb's that makes, teaches, sells poi etc, I dont know her name, although I think her surname is Tasker, I went to college with her son Lew. My mother and I used to go to poi lessons on a Monday night at Fulton School for the deaf, based in Hillcrest, (Durban) perhaps, if you look up the school you may get a link, she is bound to have connections in Cape Town and Jo'burg. Also Essenwood market (dont know the spelling, I cant remember), in Durb's there should be people who know people.
I hope S.A is as beautiful as it was when I left, I hope to return with in a few years, I hope we can all keep in contact and get together.
All the best anyway weavesmiley

Love*Peace*Harmony*Joy

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Ive got my flights booked and will be back in SA for most of December and a bit of January. I will be in the Joburg and Durban areas for most of it and would like to meet up for one or two spins as I am bringing some other english spinners who have never been to South Africa before. I will hopefully be meeting up with the lady you mentioned Kahiatay (Thina Tasker is her name) if she is around the Durban area at the time for this very reason. Speaking of which, I have her contact number as she makes and sells a lot of poi too if anyone would like it, PM me and I'll send it to you. If there are any big spins happening then, please let me know.

I know its very much in advance, but spinners are generally a slow bunch when it comes to replies, and SA spinners even more so!

Much love all.
EDITED_BY: blu_valley (1141125563)

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

RAZESILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
do you mean December - January 2006 / 2007 ?

I guess it will come around just as fast as last year and this year did wink

Please keep me in mind - I've got a little group going and we could use some outside influence (in Jhb).

South Africans? slow? never.... wink

If you eat your dessert before your dinner, you will live longer. Living longer means more fire....

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
ubblol yes Dec/Jan 2006/2007, and I do not dount it will come around fast, I mean, its March already!! eek

Defenitly keen to meet up with some of you guys, I'll email you closer to the time and we can sort something out. The scene here is all very much the same and I'm keep to put some SA vibes back into my spinning!!

weavesmiley

RAZESILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
excellent. e-mail me any time... got an amazing spot in the mountains to poi around a pit fire. Easily accessible and closer to civilisation than you'd think wink

yay!

RencSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
Hi guys! I'm from New Zealand & I'm visiting SA for a few weeks in April. Anyone know where the spinners get together in Durban or Pietermariztburg??

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Woohoo! Great to see so many SA people oh HoP. Im gonna keep an eye on this thread, been looking for other poiers for ages! Im in the Joburg area btw
EDITED_BY: JonnyRok (1143301651)

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

SkwirrelleSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
I'm from Australia but moving to Burundi in June and hope to travel around a bit while I'm there. Really want to check out SA so hopefully I'll be able to meet up with some people on my travels smile

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
great ppl...
be sure to include Pietermaritzburg in your travel plans!

smile

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

RAZESILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
*ahem* If you need a very cool and beautiful place to spin fire and chill out with some like-minded people, just PM me. The South Africans are scarce, but we're here...

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
yup yup, we are here, not as many as we wish, but we here, like raze sed, we trying to generate interest, and slowly accomplishing our mission, slowly but surely

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
Just for the South African's in the Jo'burg area that don't know.

There is a weekly meet on a Friday at Submission on Beyers Naude drive.

You can contact me, RAZE or StainedWhisper for more details.

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

MagicStuntsBRONZE Member
stranger and stranger
19 posts

Posted:
A category for fire performance has been added to the S.A. National champs for performing arts. winkThis competition's been around for years and they have categories for just about everything showbiz (exept fire dance, up to now). biggrinsemi finals start early Feb all over the country leading up to the finals in Rustenburg 19 - 27 April. I'll post more details about prizes, judging and all that as i get to know it. I've got entry forms (info@magicstunts.co.za) or keep an eye on our website https://www.magicstunts.co.za juggle
NOW GO PRACTICE

Got a brand new gallery

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
There are a few people down in Grahamstown, at the university.

Need to join up with them more often and find someone on KZN's north coast for the rest of the year.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FireWillowBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
Hey there to all,

Capetonian here. One question - i am new to this and only got my poi set this weekend past. Ive always wanted to do it but never knew anyone who did it.

One problem i have is i dont drive frown so im kinda stuck and cant really go anywhere far with public transport - especially at night...

Are there people out my way - milnerton/tableview etc that go in groups? confused Just so that i could participate too and of course contribute towards petrol etc...

weavesmiley

Willow
EDITED_BY: FireWillow (1198746238)

***Sleep when youre Dead***

snowbeastieSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
Hey. To all those spinners out there. I'm starting the ultimate group but need to know if i can expect support. Message me and let me know. This is for the JHB area

Faut souffrir pour être belle