Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
There are LED sticks that entirely shift colors in such a way that they make variegated paths through the air as they change. Some fade between relatively slowly, and those seem fairly common.

Some change fast so you can hardly tell the colors going by if the stick is held still, but stripes show up when it moves. (example) (and another) Anybody tried those?

There's a kind that strobes really fast and makes dotted lines when they swing.

I'm wondering-- are there any that strobe from top to bottom really fast? Like, the light traveling up and down the length of the stick, so that if you spun it, the line of light would be a zigzag instead of a circle? That seems like it would be pretty cool.

Is there an easy place to look up the different types of patterns and names/explanations of them?

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Not sure if the video is still online somewhere but do a search for "Illuminati" for the best glow poi available (almost). Chances are, they have any pattern you can imagine and then some.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

186 posts

Posted:
I can't hardly find anything in searches. According to [Old link], no further info will be available on Illuminati till March.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
""Illuminati" for the best glow poi available "

They're not available yet. wink

Until then, theres always Aerotech stuff.

Have a look in my gallery for some beautiful aerotech pictures.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
the illuminati have been funded now, and will be released soon

Step (el-nombrie)

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Where the hell can you get aerotech from in the UK? This has been plaguing me for a while now

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
direct from aerotech them selves as they are based out if the Wirral... [liverpool].

there will be an illuminati video back up as soon as i can get this database running again for poiinthepark.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I see... there was me being wrong.

Is there a website anyone can point me at?

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
yep, just gone and ofund it for you, trying to preempt it

https://www.globall.com/

Step (el-nombrie)

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
smile Thanks so much. Please excuse my foolish ways. I am, after all, only a padawan biggrin

Thoreau

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
if you are padawan

dont buy techs

they are costly, and break and make you cry when they do!

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
NO!

LIES!

DIRTY STINKING FILTHY LIES MECH!!!

I ubblove my aerotechs very, very, very much.
As do 99% of owners*

Nearly: If you search on here for Aerotech, you will get loads of results. Have a look through them to find out what others think of them. I would do a search, but you know how to do it yourself wink

*not able to be disproven

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
how many times have your techs gone back jon, and how many times ahve otjer popel techs had to go back for repairs?

Step (el-nombrie)

186 posts

Posted:
*le sigh* rolleyes

In checking that website, it would seem Aerotech poi are out of commission till Spring as well. They don't even have any pictures.

Guess I should've waited a couple months before asking this question, eh?

186 posts

Posted:
......That plus Aerotechs only seem to come in two colors at a time anyway. Who the heck wants to sit around with just two colors? I DEMAND SEVEN!! SEEEEVEEEN!! ubbloco

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
you can custom order tech with up to three colours in them,

and tech poi have been saying for two years now they will be released in a couple of months

but if you cant wait for the poi, then you can order a pair of loverly meteor poi head from tech, and they are proper bo!

Step (el-nombrie)

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
so, this zigzag pattern would be more expensive than a simple strobe, because a strobe can be dont with a simple rc circuit (if i remember correctly) but a zigzag would require some logic gates i.e. an ic

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

186 posts

Posted:
Aerotechs don't seem to do fades either, just flashing. Hmm.

Well I'm still just starting out, and broke, so I'm not going to be able to get any for a while anyway. I was just hoping to study some of the available stuff.

The types of patterns I have in mind (especially the pictures-in-air stuff) would be pretty darn complex, so yeah it'd be more expensive. So worth it though.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
What is the recieved wisdom for padawan glo-buyers these days anyway? I'd build my own but then I'd have to be a jedi... and I haven't quite mastered the grip yet, let alone the lightning..

Thoreau

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Newbie glow poi? Beamers most definately biggrin

No, really. Beamers are great for beginners. Sure, they could break your legs... But then again, youll be much more careful bout hitting yourself right?

I learnt on beamers and I wouldnt have done it any other way. School of hard knocks represent!

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

186 posts

Posted:
Forgot to mention this in my post to the Skunkworks thread, but... isn't there SOME way to make glow poi nonlethal? It's too bad beamers aren't smaller, if they were you could just stuff them into a translucent rubber ball... and in a shop once I saw a pair of LED poi where the lights were tucked into little net bags full of transparent beads, that felt like beanbags. That'd help with diffusion, too. Maybe there's some kind of spray-on foam goo that would work? Liquid silicon type stuff would still be pretty hard, not good for a padded coating.

crazycarlSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
Dudes and dudettes, the best glow poi that I have seen are Rav'n Photon lights https://www.photonlight.com/ravn/
I bought two hollow, bouncy, clear/transparant glow-in-the-dark balls from a dollar store (the balls are made up of a conglomorate of little rubber beads all melted together with little holes in between that allow light to escape) and I poked holes in them, installed the rav'n lights inside, and then started spinning. They look AWSOME, and they are sturdy. I do lots of wraps, etc, and EVERYONE who sees them freaks the F*&$ out!

They are WAY cooler than beaming poi, and all "streetlight" variations, but admittedly cant compete with illuminati/aerotech products.

A bird can fly, but a fly cant bird...

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i don't really think rav'ns cut it... a cheaper replacement for the strobe version I use rainbow in motion funsacks from house of rave... much cheaper... for the ribbon version there are psychobrite rainbows... used to be from psycholights.com... but there are many cheap alternatives... i also adore the strobe pattern of streetlights and raverods

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I saw some really, really cool looking glo poi from www.feraltechnology.com, they do seven or eight different colours. I can't afford any but in the pictures they look sooo awesome, they have different strobe effects too. I want some!
I learnt with beaming ball poi, I agree they're great to learn with but the feral ones have so many pretty colours...
Does anyone know from experience if these ones have any drawbacks (apart from the expensive price)? Are they really as good as they look?

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan