Forums > Social Discussion > Tips for dealing with personal aggression?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'm not an outwardly aggressive person, yet I do have quite a bad temper at times. I often feel angry or annoyed by very small, very insignificant things which seem like a big deal at the time.

I obviously don't like this at all and I wonder if any of you guys have tips for venting your anger, frustration or aggression in a non-harmful way? Or perhaps another way of dealing with things.

I think at my heart I'm quite a bad-tempered person so I know the aggression will keep coming - I'd rather be able to.. I don't know, do something to it than let it just sit inside of me until it either comes out (never good) or gets pushed down.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

My 2 cents:

It is natural to get angry. Anger is a survival trait, as in fight or flight.

However, it is what we do with the anger that makes the difference.

Cheers smile

Absolutely: in a survival situation anger (and fear) can, by causing such things as adreneal 'dump', save our lives.

However, I think most of the anger referred to in this thread is not in survival situations, as such, it is 'inapproriate' in that the effects of the anger are far more negative than positive.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Wraps work best rather than gloves

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I hear what you are saying Dave. The point I was suggesting is the trait has carried over into the modern world, and it’s important to know how to deal with it when it surfaces.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

funky_hatseating apples with chopsticks can be rather difficult
167 posts

Posted:
screaming actually works really well for me.... REALLY loud... smile oh yeah and blasting my ears off with either marilyn manson or some hardcore.. i know i have wierd music tastes!! lol

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Written by: DoktorSkell

Yet for some reason i listen exclusively to Death Metal music.
it seems to calm me and cheer me up

The mind is a strange thing my friends

ubblol I really only get angry/really fustrated when I'm driving - there are a lot of bad drivers in Guildford so I find what helps the most is putting Slipknot on really loud - for some reason it calms me down completely!!

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Oh cor.

I get this sometimes.. its one of the most annoying things.. vicious coicle (as they say in NY).

I get anrgy or worked up for no reason about something, then get even more worked up cos im getting worked up.

I usually go and have a spliff whcih sorts me out.

smile

No i dont.
I didnt say that. wink

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
See, this is why I shouldn't have given up the weed.

Although I'm glad I did smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sakura_moon

Wraps work best rather than gloves

agreed esp if you think the gloves they supply with the rather expencive bag would do frown found out the hard way, now when i do it it looks like i am ready to go into the ring...lol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unattractive Cranky Old Freud

Oh cor.

I get this sometimes.. its one of the most annoying things.. vicious coicle (as they say in NY).

I get anrgy or worked up for no reason about something, then get even more worked up cos im getting worked up.

I usually go and have a spliff whcih sorts me out.

smile

No i dont.
I didnt say that. wink

ok and because you didn't say that i can't agree with the said no said statement but if it was said then i might be able to agree

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I get real angry sometimes. I dunno wether its the puberty, or if tis just me, but I can get really, really pissed off over nothing. I used to punch walls and stuff. Now I just close my eyes, and breath. Hypnotheray also helps. It really relaxes you. Try it out.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i do find if i listen to bumble bee tuna by Mephiskapheles i go all jumpy jumpy rather than grrrrrrr

Page: