Forums > Social Chat > Today I had a random urge to make a bird-feeder. So I did. Here's how.

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Ingredients:

1 large (2 litre) clear rectangular bottle which tapers to the cap at the top (I used a squash bottle)

1 pencil

Lots (2m at least) string

A convenient thing to fix it to outside your window (ie drainpipe)

Birdseed

Sharp knife (WARNING - be careful and get an adult to help you. I did. My mate)

*Remove any labels from the bottle so it's as clear as possible (so you can see birds through it)

*Take knife and cut front panel out of one side of the bottle. Have this an inch or so from the bottom to about 3-4 inches from the top.

*KEEP THIS PANEL SAFE - you need it later smile

*Cut a cross in the sides of the bottle, one either side of where the panel you cut out meets the bottle. You're aiming to push the pencil through these to make a perch for the birds about half an inch above the bottom of the open section you cut.

*Push the pencil through

Now take the panel you cut out. Very carefully cut a tab into one of the long edges by removing a section from either side of where the tab will be:

LONG EDGE OF PANEL

BEFORE = ______________________

AFTER = _____\----------------------/____

(Hope that's clear.. so you've basically got a trapezoid projecting out of the back of the panel)

*Cut a slot slightly smaller than the long edge og the tab in the front of the feeder, just above the open section.

*Slot the panel into this. Then reach inside and bend the corners down. This will help keep snow/rain out of the feeder and stop the food from getting wet. You may want to cut the corners of this so it's nice and rounded.. it looks a bit better if you do smile

*Make some more little crosses at various points towards the back of the bottle. In a minute you'll thread the string through these, so try and make some near the top of the rectangular section of the bottle, and some near the bottom.

*Very carefully (if you're doing it out of a window) tie the bottle to whatever you're tying it to. try and get a few loops around the lip beneath the lid of the bottle, and make sure you tie it at the top of the bottle and the bottom so the bottle sits as vertically as possible.

*Tie it very firmly. You don't want it to slip down to the floor, nor do you want it to fall off and hurt any birds who are in it frown So be careful!

When it's done.. enjoy! biggrin

Right, that's killed 20 minutes. What else can I do before my essay? ubblol

EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1109245090)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
wink

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
tongue biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I voted yes, it's a good idea but no, I won't try to make one.

That's mainly because we have as many bird feeders in the garden as there are spaces to hang them already smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
i wouldn't bother with the essay, you should be able to get a great job on blue peter with that bird feeder ubblol

that is very random, but i like the way you are re-using non-biodegradable waste in a environmentally responsible way..... tongue have a gold star!

Non-Https Image Link

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: NOn

Non-Https Image Link

YES!! See, it was entirely justified for THAT.. wink ubblol

Thoreau

1,643 posts

Posted:
I'm glad, that is one heck of a gold star after all, you don't get nothing as flashy as that in school!! biggrin

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
We hope you enjoyed the last episode in our gardening series. And after the break on BBC2, nearly_all_gone presents the hit television series, Procrastination St!

Stuart discovers he's too late to hand in his essay, but does he strike gold with a new business venture with the gardener? Stay tuned biggrin

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ry'

Procrastination St!

Stuart discovers he's too late to hand in his essay, but does he strike gold with a new business venture with the gardener? Stay tuned biggrin

ubblol

My mum's a Garden Designer, actually biggrin

Thoreau

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Stuart discovers he's too late to hand in his essay, but will a shocking revelation about the identity of the gardener mean that it doesn't matter? Stay tuned ubblol

How did the essay go?

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Handed it in on time. So tongue

ubblol The bird feeder's still up! Woohoo!

Thoreau

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
A picture! Taken through a dirty window on my phone, but meh:

Non-Https Image Link

biggrin *pride*

Thoreau

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
You get a medal if you get a picture with a bird in it wink

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'll try!! biggrin

Thoreau

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
dude, no offence intended, but at first glance i thought it was a bong with really dirty bong water in it... ubbloco

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
he's so silly! bounce

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ry'

You get a medal if you get a picture with a bird in it wink

Non-Https Image Link

Ok, he may be looking the wrong way, but..

Do I get my medal now or later? biggrin

Thoreau

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Well done trooper! ubblol

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol
I couldn't have hoped for a better medal, or presentation of it ubblol

Thoreau

1,643 posts

Posted:
clap

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
*bows* We need a smiley for bowing.. although it would just look like it was falling over ubblol

Thoreau

1,643 posts

Posted:
mmm... it's a little bit difficult to make a body-less smiley bow....!

I hope all these tiny birds you're attracting aren't going to get massacred by the evil Brighton seagulls!! Your next mission, should you chose to accept it, is to create an impenetrable seagull barrier with only biro lids and chewing gum.... tongue ubblol

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Pah, easy. As long as I'm allowed to use the foil from the gum..

I'll create a sun-powered sea-gull death.. well, scorch-ray! Mwa-ha-haa!

Thoreau

1,643 posts

Posted:
ermmmm.... okay, you can use the foil, remember though: no innocent bystanders, i shall send my evil team of spy mice to make sure that mini tweety birds do not suffer by the so called 'scorch-ray'... if they return tiny bodies... well.... let us just say, there' will be consequences..... *laughs menacingly, strokes cat and swivels chair round in order to laugh some more* (hmm... there's no smiley for that move either...)

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
ubblol NEED MORE RANDOM SMILEYS!

Thoreau