Forums > Social Chat > Any Rock Climbers out there??

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Gday all!!

Im from australia and i love a bit of climbing. anyone else climb??

if so, where abouts? indoor/outdoor? toprope/lead/boulder? Grades? Fav climbs??

Gotta love a good chat about it tongue
Me... i love a good boulder, in or out. Havent done much outdoor toprope or lead but would love to do more.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hehe found it..
QLD, recreation climber, outdoor if ever, have made it up Lesbian Printshop Workers (22-23) at Kangaroo Point Cliffs, Brisbane, and dogged it up Wages of Fear (24) which if anything, put me in my place- over with the 16's and 17's hehe.

A favourite climb done is Looking for the Sun (19) at Brooyar, QLD (did it at sunset too! amazing) and if I climbed enough, I'll one day complete The Great Devoid (22), I slipped off stupidly when I was down there and didn't get a chance to go again. The next guy did it faster than a demon. I was suitably humbled. biggrin

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Hey there I used to climb quite alot, was the president of Cardiff Uni climbing Club . . never got that good but really enjoyed it been to alot of places round the uk and some places in france . . . Not sure how british grades compare to the australian ones . . . ah here you go

https://www.magwag.plus.com/jim/climbing-grades.html

The bouldering in Fontainbleau is awesome - the cardiff lot go there every easter , now in its 11th year.

Have climbed british HVS, seconded E3 but indoors we use french grades and lead about 6c on a good day .... but haven't done it for the last year

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I've done most of my climbing around the French Alps, usually somewhere between 6b and 7a French grade (according to the table that's Ausy 20 - 24)

I like to do a wide variety of climbs, so I don't get stuck in a rut.
In France, everything and it's mother is bolted, so I end up doing lots of sport climbing, and sometimes top-roping.
I've solo'd a 5+ out there, and the area also lends itself very well to bouldering.

In Britain, I've done a bit of climbing around Snowdonia, where I did my SPA award.
I also had a very cool day climbing Pembrokeshire sea cliffs (but I had to change my underwear afterwards!).

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
I've climbed in and around Tennessee and Washington, both indoors and outdoors climbing. I think the toughest I've tried was a 5.9 climb out in Washington State, in basalt along the Columbia River Gorge. I struggled with that one. Most of the stuff I've done was between 5.6 and 5.8.

I'm not a great climber, but I have fun.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
i know burning brain did when he lived in TN

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Not rockclimbing specifically, but I've been canyoning a few times in the last couple of months. Bouldering, rockclimbing, abseiling, hand-over-hands etc.

Actually, as I type this, I have a large bruise running down my right forearm from a waterjump I did in a canyon on the weekend. Was about 5 metres into a small but deep pool, and silly me left my arm sticking out, SLAP! hehehe.

I'm fairly crap at rockclimbing, but am getting better. As my buddies keep saying, I gotta trust my toes!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
I live about 20 miles from Smith Rocks, and I used to climb there when I was in high school. It's been a while, but I've been thinking of getting back into it by going to a local climbing gym.

Anybody have any idea how long it takes an out of shape girl to develop halfway decent upper body strength? ....Wait don't tell me I'll just get depressed, heheh.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

YexBRONZE Member
97 posts

Posted:
this is mostly where i go. not the hardest climbs but they're fun and close.

https://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=6992

https://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=3664

"Not all who wander are lost. "

J.R.R. Tolkien

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Random bump grin

Hooray for Mr Search wink

Been climbing for a while, just starting to venture into bouldering too.

Not up into any particular impressive grades yet - but my it's fun smile
No Trad for me, only Sport climbing, can climb 6b on a very good day, lead 5+ most days.

Sadly I live in the worst area of the UK for climbing (except possibly Norfolk) so have a 2.5 hour drive to get to the nearest rock-rock (Have soft sandstone 45 mins away, but that's just weird)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Mainly boulders for me but a bit of trad when i can get a belay.
Did some sport climbing in Thailand a few years ago too.
Dont get out as much as i would like though as i have the same problem as Durbs As i live in Lincolnshire wich is actualy probably worse than Norfolk.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
i do tree climbing, not tryed propper rock climbing but i would quite like to smile

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I climb.

Mostly indoors sadly due to lack of time. My highest grade is 21 South African, which is about 20 Aussie I think. I am climbing considerably better than that at the moment though, probably closer to 24. Whether I can do that on rock is another story....

Not done much bouldering, although the gym is mostly that....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Yup, I've done a fair bit of climbing. Used to be comfortable on 6C boulder problems indoors, 6a outside. Not done a huge amount of outdoor roped climbs, a few weekends doing trad in the lakes is about it.

Save the trips out for special occasions now though as it destroys my fingers for days :s

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I find indoor trashes my fingers much more than outdoor - though only have limestone and sandstone here which is quite forgiving.

Got my first flapper this week and everything grin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Need to get you out on some grit at some point Mr Durbs, that'll show you skin-trashing wink

I mainly boulder myself, and send stuff somewhere V3-V5 depending on the style. I also climb trees at work, which is too much fun for me to call it work with a straight face really.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Oh gods.... Gritstone. Never. Again. Ever.

Although, the way that you can stick really manky slopers is cool. wink

I climb on dolerite a fair amount. Also tends to shred your fingers a bit. Especially when jamming.

Apparently there are some pegmatites in the Katberg (I think?) that are awesome for bouldering, setting elimination problems with single crystals as holds for example....

I seem to avoid flappers, luckily.

Mr Joe: Are you a lumberjack? Because then it is ok. tongue2 (Sorry, could not resist....)

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I used to climb very week (indoor) and I've been outdoor twice, once in some random Perth Quarry and again in Thailand.

I loved it. I was super small and flexible and wasn't afraid to just jump to the next holds. I found though after a while I got to the 18-21 and the limiting factor was my arms bredth (?). Sometimes I could stand on tip toes on the last hold and still couldn't reach the next one.

My favourite ones were the chimney. I can get up chimneys without holds. SO MUCH FUN!

Hopefully I'll get back into it when I move to the 'big smoke'.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*Goes to check out grade comparisons*

Cool smile
It's mildly frustrating I only really got into climbing after the round the world trip... So much rock! ubblove

Off to the soft-sandstone this week for me.

Apparenly Dave Graham went out on the Grit yesterday and loved it... I think he's my main current inspiration over Sharma (9b?!!) - skinny dudes give me hope wink

Maybe a Portland spin-meet should be planned wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Used to love indoor climbing. Would have been on my school team, but the inter-school comp was on the day of my debutante ball frown

Stopped going because it's too expensive frown

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Why go indoors in Oz when you have so much gorgeous rock?

(Aside from the risk of sticking your hand into a funnel-webs home...does this affect the grading?)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
This thread really makes me want to head up to Ilkley quarry. Beautiful gritstone climbs, loads of nice boulder problems, and a good pub less than 2 minutes walk from the climbs.

Perfect weather for it at the moment too.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*shakes fist*
Curse you and your good quality local rocks!

The best i have is a sideways sandpit 45 minutes drive away.
EDITED_BY: Durbs (1223563936)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Sandstone is some of the most awful stuff ever. Had a couple of nuts rip out on me doing trad on a sandstone climb - it was the first and last time I've climbed the stuff.

Shouldn't you have a fair bit of limestone down there?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Only on the Dorset coast which is a good 2 hours drive away, 2.5 for sport climbing.

You're not allowed to trad climb on Sandstone anymore - top-rope or solo only... It's odd.
There's always the option of chalk - if you're a mentalist.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DurbsWhy go indoors in Oz when you have so much gorgeous rock?

(Aside from the risk of sticking your hand into a funnel-webs home...does this affect the grading?)

Because as a 16year old highschool students it's largely impossible to get to those places after school for practise and then for the day trip for the competition.

Even as a 22 year old uni student juggling a part-time job with no drivers license it's largely impossible to get to those places even for a weekend trip away.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Tasmanian Seastacks. I *really* want to be let loose on those babies....

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Rougie - i hear you smile Time is a rare commodity...

I did some climbing at Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, and some exciting soloing/scrambling at the Glasshouse mountains near Brizzy.

Bouldering Wave Rock would be a challenge wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Rouge DragonOriginally Posted By: DurbsWhy go indoors in Oz when you have so much gorgeous rock?

Because as a 16year old highschool students it's largely impossible to get to those places after school for practise and then for the day trip for the competition.

Even as a 22 year old uni student juggling a part-time job with no drivers license it's largely impossible to get to those places even for a weekend trip away.

*nods* nods*

I find a big thing is, if I went outside I would have to have my own rope and harness (which I do) and shoes (which I have) and all the other little pieces that go with it (which I don't have) and you also have to have someone comfortable with lead climbing...

It's just easier going indoor.

And I only know of one place near Perth where you can go outdoor... Other places would be hours away... we're pretty flat down here.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I do not have rope, but have a harness, shoes and helmet. I also have some quickdraws. A good friend of mine has some draws as well as a rope and the basics.

Together we can do pretty much any climb we want to, unless it needs a stupidly long rope....

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
*bumpity*

I bought a dvd called 'The Sharp End' yesterday. Probably the best climbing film I've seen. Some people be crazy. My favourite was the highball bouldering stuff, but theres also some huge big wall stuff, crazy guys climbing sandstone columns in, um, Austria I think, and a bloke who climbs the north face of the Eiger with nothing but a base jumping pack.

Highly recommended smile

Page: ...