Forums > Social Chat > How old would you like to get?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I work with elderly and disabled people. One of my clients is 103. She said to me, "You don't want to be 103 you know." When I asked why she said, "Because everyone I ever knew is dead. When all my friends died I made new friends and now they're all dead too."

It got me thinking about how old I'd like to get and I decided that about 80 would be my limit, unless of course some clever scientist (Mike ) found out how to reverse the ageing process.

What about you how old do you really want to get?

Are we nearly there yet?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
It depends entirely on how my body and mind decine.

I saw my grandad who had alzheimer's gradually lose the plot (I'm trying to come up with ways of saying it as inoffensively as I can).
It didn't help that he was in the RAF and posted to various places around the globe - he kept thinking he was somewhere he'd been posted. He was eventually moved into a nursing home after trying to break through his double glazed windows to escape his house.
He also managed to climb the 6 foot high walls and escape from the nursing home twice - not bad for a 79 year old .
Anyway, because I've seen what can happen when someone's mind starts to decline, I really don't want that to happen to me, partially because I don't like the idea of not having control over what I do, and partially because I don't want to be a burden to my family (assuming I have a family of my own by then).

Actually, I also dislike thinking about being bed-ridden for the same reasons. I think it all comes down to wanting to go out gracefully and being remembered for what I was like for the majority of my life, rather than at the end.

That's going to have to be it from me at the moment, I'm finding it hard to keep writing after talking about my grandad, I might be back with a few more thoughts later though.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DRAGULAmember
70 posts

Posted:
i'd say aboot 80-90
Me, i have no friendz only servants who yell at me anywayz.

Are you okay?I don't Know.....I'm generally f***ed up so it's kinda hard to gauge-Rainbow Randolph

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
if I happen to make it to 70-80 years old I think it will be aboot time to shoot up a vial or two of LSD, cause either I'll end up dead, or have one helluva ride til the end.

dont think I'll actually do it, but its fun to say now.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Thistle:
]
It got me thinking about how old I'd like to get and I decided that about 80 would be my limit, unless of course some clever scientist (Mike ) found out how to reverse the ageing process.

It's gonna cost ya!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I sold my sole to satan, so i will live forever!!!! *muhahaha*

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
I'd like to live past 30, but then obviously the "old bastard" jokes would get overwhelming, and my chances of getting laid would be seriously reduced unless I got mar*ied or something.....arrrrrrghhhhhhhhh - what a horrific thought!!!

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i actually have 80 something (above 85) year old great-grandparenst that are very active still. both are fit for their age, can walk easily, clib stairs wander around town, drive, fully mentally capable, etc. great-grandma-s english is deteriorating a little (she learnt it in her 30's) but other than that they are about the same. great-grandfather is in better condition than many 50yo's i know, and looks fitter than many 20yo's! so... my answer? if i can hit 90 looking like them i'm all for it! after that, well,..... we shall see then, eh?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Alliemember
30 posts

Posted:
I think so long as I could still do what I wanted it would be cool to be really old!

My Great Grandad is nearly 101 (birthday in a few weeks) and he can still cook for himself and do what he wants - he gats some help from relatives but still has his own house n stuff.

However if I am going to be ill and have to live in nursing homes etc I don't think it would be much fun

Besides by then I may have learnt enough genetics stuff to have whole armies of me - what a scary thought!

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
I think it would depend on how I am mentally and physically. I have met people in there 90 who don't look it or act it and I've met people who are 70 and can't do anything for themselves.
As long as I am healthy and can take care of myself I'll be good for life.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'd want to live as long as possible. I mean just THINK how good the video games are gonna be!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
If I feel that I cant make it to the bathroom without

A) pissin myself

B) needing help

Then I want to die!

Untill thing life is good

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Am I the only person that really, really would be quite happy to live forever?

Assuming it's possible (maybe through science, maybe through eating spinach) to maintain a healthy mind, body and soul, yes, I really would like to live forever.

I wouldn't bother hanging around as a brain in a jar, but I'd be quite happy spending eternity with the level of health my grandmother seems to maintain. She's travelled more than I have this year, and is generally alert and active.

Magnus... pay it forward

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
If u have the person of your dreams at your side then 4ever isn't long enough.

If not then who cares..........

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
I'd agree with the first part but not the second.

[ 19 September 2002, 02:42: Message edited by: Kurobei ]

whats up with all the limitations?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I intend to live forever.
So far...so good!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I'm with the forever crowd. I'm hoping technology will advance, before I die, to the point that I can upload my brain to another piece of hardware. preferably one that won't keep forgetting where I put the remote.

NYC...sometimes I look at babies and realize that what the Nintendo was to us (in its pixelated, 8 bit glory), the Gamecube will be to them. lucky bastards.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I just don't want to die before I die.

So, I try to make the most of my time while I still am able to.

Raph

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
im right there with Borvil and Tika. so long as i am able to take care of myself and still have the mental capacity to learn, then life can go on as long as it likes. seeing as how my two favorite things in the world are (other than spinning of course) learning anything new and cooking. so as long as i can do that and live my life without the restrictons of a wheelchair (no offence to those who are disabled mind you, but i had to spend 8 days in one after a severe head injury, and the thought of not haveing the ability to walk scares the hell outta me.) and can think with a clear mind, then ill still be here playin with fire and living the most enjoyable life i am able to. but i dont think whats important is how long you live, but HOW you live. i know people who have died at the age of 15 that have had a more enjoyable and fun life than some who have died at 95. so its all about making sure you just have fun being alive, not worrying about when you wont be.

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
If I had my say, I would stay 21 forever. I turn 22 in precicely 24 days (23 if you live in Oz, or Kiwi) and I am really freaked out. I don't want to be old pretty soon I'll be twenty five with next stop thirtiesville and then life as I know it will be over

Jesus helps me trick people.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
im not nearly as scared of dying as i am of getting old......
seriously!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
There are some very interesting answers here which give me food for thought. Some of you obviously have a clear idea of how infirm/disabled you would be able to tollerate being.

When I asked the question I was not really thinking about disability. I was thinking about the loneliness and isolation that the elderly experience. That is why I would not want to get any older that 80. The loss of all my friends and having no one left to share the memories with would drive me mad. Sitting at home every night with no one to talk to and going days without seeing a single living soul except the post man would be more than I could bear.

This brings another question to my mind. Euthanasia, should we be allowed to make a provision, like a living will, that if we lose our minds or become too infirm to take care of ourselves then we would like to be put to sleep? I am all for it. Obviously not mass killing of ppl who are infirm/disabled as in utilitarian bioethics. But that you are able to make a choice about what happens to you when you get older or if you have an accident which leaves you disabled.

Bovril Monkey, I'm sorry about your Grandad. My Grandma went the same way it was tragic to watch, and frightening as I was only a young girl. The only thing we can console ourselves with is that they had absolutely no idea of what was happening to them.

Master sodium I realise you were probably having a laugh. But i know of someone who died of an LSD overdose and he was screaming non stop for about six hrs before he died. There are much better ways to go.

Flynt, I am with you on that.

Onelove Thistlefirepixie

Are we nearly there yet?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
BM and Thistle, my grandfather also had alzhaimers mixed with parkinsons, tragic and horrifying. I agree that at that point, put me out.

Thistle, I think euthanasia is a perfectly acceptible means of controlling ones own life. If I get a disease where I need to be hopped up on morphine everyday, or can't remember who I am and how do get out of bed, then absolutely sign me up.
As for physical disabilities, I think I could accept any. Technology is doing wonders, even for quardoplegics, and so while it would be immensely difficult to go on, I would.

As for the age thing, at what point do you become afraid to friends? It sounds like this woman has.
I am not sure I would. Loneliness is a terrible thing, especially in a room full of people.

Paddy...Nintendo? Growing up (here is dating myself!) I had an Atari 2600!

Sickpuppy, for most people I have talked to, Life after 30 actually gets better. I'll let you know in a couple years when I get there!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
With Alzheimers, Parkinsons and senile dementia running rampant in the older generation of my family there is a fair chance that should I live long enough I'll wind up drooling in my tapioca pudding....and I hate tapioca pudding.

All the more reason to enjoy the time I have now!

Raphael

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
on mom's side, grandpa got to 89/90, grandma's 97, on the other side bleh. . .

my answer to Thistle's q?

anything over 200, spread over a few more centuries or millennia if i may.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

bountymember
33 posts

Posted:
i would never ask that question b/c if i say 100 when its 11:59:59 pm im done and i woudl know that im going to drop in the next second and i do not want to know that.

follow what you feel...you alone will decide what's real...anyone can be your brand new love

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
i dont wanna grow up im a toys r' us kid..la la lala la la la lalala!!

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I agree with Xtrem. Toys-R-Us has such great toys!

*remembers rolling down the aisle in a driverless shopping cart*

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
quote:
Sickpuppy, for most people I have talked to, Life after 30 actually gets better. I'll let you know in a couple years when I get there!
I don't believe it for a second.

Jesus helps me trick people.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Believe it sickpuppy, believe it

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Yes Sickpuppy, believe it. Life does improve when you hit 30+, I got a huge confidence boost, felt like I was much more happy to be me, more accepting of others, more patient, more willing to try new things I had wanted to try for years and suddenly I have direction in my life.

Onelove Thistlefirepixie

Are we nearly there yet?

Page: