mirabelismember
11 posts

Posted:
howdy smile i am new to the board but am working with a few friends here in texas and was wondering if anyone else out there goes to pennsic !!!! we were first introduced to poi at pennsic last year and would like to meet some folks who might go there again this year. cheersmira

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Oh, no... Not MORE Pennsic Poi-ers... (I know they're going to ban fire at XXXI...) I'm almost of a mind NOT to take my poi to Pennsic, just so that I'm not contributing to the complete JAM of people all trying to perform with fire at Pennsic... Not to unsettle anyone or make them think that I'm against them taking their own poi and doing what they want... But remember the year the game VAMPIRE came out and everyone was wearing fangs? And they banned Kindred's Vampire party and elf ears and all that other fun stuff, just because there were SO many people trying something new all at once, that it SCARED the event coordinators into DOING SOMETHING...? Please be responsible, people. Have insurance. (Think of all those flamable nylon tents!) Practice your safety. (CROWD CONRTOL...) (/rant)Anyway. I'm Jesse. I camp over at Vlad's. Rowan is the poi-er responsible for the whole Pennsic/fire phenomena. She camps at Vlad's. Spryte evidentally knows some of the same people as us, but hasn't answered my email to her yet, so I haven't figured out if I know her. Gypsy is also working on poi/staff for next Pennsic. I don't know where he'll be camping this year. Pele knows (at least) what Pennsic IS, but will need to be convinced to go back... My friend Kie, (who does not frequent this board) is learning fire stuff with a whole group of his friends up in CT, for next Pennsic...I love fire. I love sharing what I know. I just don't think that everyone I know should all try to spin fire at an event which is not supposed to be about fire... Thus getting ALL fire banned from the event... I'm ranting again... Anyway. Email me. Really. I'm a reasonable human being. I'd love to talk. Love to see more people with even more things in common with me around... epickens@freemarkets.com

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Good heavens... For a second there I sounded like a period Nazi complaining about the Tuchux... Don't worry though... I'm better now.

Rowanmember
6 posts

Posted:
Well, hell...I didn't realize I would start such an east coast uproar about fire poi at Pennsic.I agree a bit with Jesse, though. Last year was the fire Pennsic saw of fire. I am really really afraid that it will be banned for XXXI. I am excited that I inspired so many folks to do poi, but I think that before Pennsic this year, there NEEDS to be some formal discussion and organization so that there isn't any amatuer fire folks that will set fire to the swamps. We as a whole need to look like professionals out there. Else it will be banned, if it is not banned this year, that is. I know suddenly this may start a riff with people, and that is sad, but I can't let such a wonderful thing be banned because SO many people are out there doing poi and making it dangerous. It is out in the trees and not much room in many areas to do it, so the likelyhood of an "accident" is directly proportional to the lack of organization. I beleive we should have a group discussion with any folks who want to do poi or fire there and come up with just a few things we need to abide by. I know it sux to have rules set to something that is so fun, but this is fire, and those are heavy woods and there is a lot of booze flowing. PLease contact me @ etyrniti@hotmail.com if you want to discuss things for Pennsic XXXRo

mirabelismember
11 posts

Posted:
agreed with all the above points....one has to question the periodness of the whole thing and how it fits into persona....and i did see quite a few spinners at a few parties and i have to admit that it was scary...alcohol, trees and fire do not mix....thanks for the thoughts...mira

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey wait a minute!!! An evil plan to get me there again Jesse???? I just love being part of intrigues!!!! grin

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Yes, Pele! And Evil Plan. (So far it involves a few hired representatives from NinjaBurger.com -a hilarious web site, by the by. A large crate, carefully baited with some chain, kevlar, and a boom box. And....)Anyway. Does anyone have any ideas how we can cause less impact this War as a Fire Hazard, and more impact as group of thoughtful, helpful, and fun-to-watch individuals? Any ideas that people would like to throw out will be happily considered. I've been toying with the idea of trying to get together a group of volunteers to act as fire marshalls and safeties for fire shows. That way people who would like to have a fire performance will have people they can go to to:1. Have their camp inspected for possible fire hazards before the performance.2. Provide trained safeties for the performers.3. Provide crowd control during the performance.What does everyone think? Pele? Anyone?

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Hey mirabelis,Sup man... i live in Houston. I have been spinning for a few months, but only with glowsticks. I want to see someone spin actual POI blazing...oh yeah.Do you hook up anywhere with people to practice??Im trying to find some people in the area to learn from...Clue me in..Super' ------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
Hi GuysI'll be either camping with the Godwiesels at the timberwolf Camp or at Ealdormere Royal! my SCA name is Naimh. Yep I'm HOPING to be a Pensic Poier... I didn't get to be last year and I'm told me being involved is all ROWANS fault,I'm trying to document Poi I've been finding SOME eveidence with juglers in France, Also I've found a couple things on How it may have traveled up to Japan.As per Pensic possibly BANNING fire, why don't we see what we can do to talk to the people in charge to make it possible to do it safely in a designated area, or for a few fire performers to get a pensic permit or authorization to fire performances??? theres no use in making somthing not possible. instead why not make it saffer? and maybe a little well known? smile We should see what we can do to stop a banning of fire dancing right... Afterall I think staff is period.Talk again soon~spryte~P.S. Pele... You gotta come if only for the last weekend. Its a one in a lifetime experince. Scratch that .It will be a yearly experience!

Rowanmember
6 posts

Posted:
*lol* My fault??? Umm that a good thing or a bad...?? *grin*Really though, it's really cool I helped you get involved in fire poiOK, I am currently contacting the Autocrat about fire dancing (poi, staff, others) at Pennsic this year. I am suggesting all fire performers have either 1. Fire insurance (that may be 100% nessessary anyways)2. Proof of pressionalism (perform in front of other fire folks to show they can handle the fire w/o burning down the landscape maybe?)3. If done in camps, make TRIPLE sure the area is clean of debris.4. DFS (designated fire spotter) one per performer.etc. I am open to ideas right now, So if any fire performer has an idea/opinion, let me know! Again, I still really want this to be fun for everyone and everyone who wants to do fire given a fair chance!I hear there are going to be 5+ fire troupes this year. Thats a LOT. So, let's play nice and keep pennsic char free!Has anyone talked to the fire folks from the Tinkers? I'd like to talk with them as well..--Ro.ps. spryte- are you part of the Timbrewolves???

sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
No I'm not timberwolf, I'm Godwiesel, ( Sir Gunter's (Nero's) House ) Godwiesel sounds like they are camping with the Timberwolves this year.There was Very small talk about uniting the households but I don't know I'm new =) Areyou with a household Rowan? Do you go on the Black pages ? I Have ICQ if you guys wanna add me 38235911I think that getting help with the Autocrat would be great, Its important to have safe Fire performances with crowds as big as pennsic, People were too close to the show I got to see. Also If all these rules are gonna come into play, Then a Class should be offered for the saftey, People who attend the class should be fire spotters and people who want to perform should have to take the class AND then have a second part where there is a performance saftey test. kind of an Authorization.Just simple but yes that would be a good Idea. ( For people reading this thinking we're saftey nuts.... You have to see these crowds )The Class should include things like 1 Proper clothing with fire2 Check for safe equipment3 Check for emergency equipment ( wool Blanket or fire extiguisher or buckets those should be on the campgrounds anyway) Know how to use them. And knowledge of burns and first aid.Your right Rowan If Action isn't taken now, It could ruin it for all of us. We may as well make it possible to perform. winkIf you need help with any of this or setting up a class at Pennsic let me know My email Address is c_r_i_c_k_e_t@hotmail.com

mirabelismember
11 posts

Posted:
dont know how receptive the pennsic autocrat will be with a class that isnt terribly period....would have to make it fit with personas and such yes? hmmm just a thought but i think it is a good one...nice thread keep those ideas flowing smilemirabelis

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
I'm intrigued. Does Pennsic have a website? smile

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Finn: Check www.pennsicwar.org and (the non-official site, but far more informative as to what you'll actually find there) www.pennsic.netI just went to a Butler Fighter Practice yesterday, and met a chap who said he could put me in touch with this year's Fire Marshall. (Evidentally he's a member of the Butler Fire Department too!) Hopefully, we'll be able to get some help from him when it comes down to keeping this event safe. I would very much, too like to suggest that people have their FUELS and toys approved by the Fire Marshall before we play. I know a lot of the injuries involved in fire play are related to people using inappropriate fuels. (ie: gasoline!!!) But I think we'll be able to get a better idea as to what we should recommend for guidelines if we can talk to the Fire Marshall first. AND we should also keep in touch with security, because they'll be the ones who have to enforce all of this...Spryte: Tell Nero-Swampy-Guy (Todd/ aka. Sir Gunther that Liz-babe-at/in-arms says, "Hi!" And I would like to place an order for some frozen otter nipples... 3 boxes.) There should be no problem with teaching a non-period fire safety course. Any kind of safety generally gets approval for a class. The Chiergeons (sp?) usually offer red cross certification courses at the War, and no one has ever had a problem with THAT being non-period.

sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
"Its a Small world afterall"

Lunamember
11 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone. I am a belly dancer and I go to Pennsic for the classes. Last year at Hell I saw a red head with braids twirling poi...Was that you Rowan? It was the vision of her twirling that stuck in my mind after Pennsic, that and all my friends at Pandora's Box. I taught myself poi a couple of months later and then a while after that I found this site. I'd like to perform at Pennsic but most importantly I'd like to learn from others. This will be my third year at Pennsic. Emer from Wulf Den introduced me to Pennsic and now I can't imagine a year without it. I hope that I will get to learn and play with other poiers at Pennsic. I'll keep my eyes open for you guys! I love Pennsic talk! -Lunalunasoleil@coolmail.netwww.geocities.com/lunasoleil2000

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Thanks Jesse. I'll check it out. smile