Forums > Social Discussion > A glowstringer in need of help

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
Okay, I love you people and that's why I'm asking you first.

Normally I'm a glowsticker, that is and always will be my first obsession. However, I'm trying to learn more and more poi simply because I am ammazed as what you people can do. This is what I need your help with. I want to finally make the big step and buy myself a pair of fabric poi (not fire simply because I NEVER plan to use fire, I'm not that crazy). The one catch is this, I don't want tails.

I've seen poi that do not have tails, and I know they are out there, but I can't find them. I've looked in the shopping section of HoP, but all I was able to find were those fluffy poi... and that just isn't what I'm looking for. For an example, look at the spinach sessions volume 1 the first set of poi that are used. They do exist, I know they're out there, but I can not find them. I may be looking in the wrong area or something like that, but I finally gave up and came to you guys and girls for help.

Thanks in advance.

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Sock poi are cheap and easy and here is a thread all about making tailess poi

[Old link]

and at the end of the thread is another link to making cone poi, which might be what those psinachy ppl use

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
Okay, I just looked through those threads... the sock deal is what I'm going to have to run on untill I can find what I want. I looked through the cone thread.... but I'm at college and do not have acess to a sweing machine or half of those materials needed. Is there any place that sells good quality cone poi?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Try a place that sells good quality stretchy socks.

Stick a juggling ball in each and spin away.

smile

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
or just do what i did, cut part of the tail off so they dont get so wraped up

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I would strongly reccommend making your own at first because then you can design them so as to make your 'transition' easier (ie closer to what you use now).

Good luck mate, thanks for popping over:)

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
we spinachy people use:

socks with juggling balls in them

and home-sewn cone poi (also with juggling balls in them) sewn from ripstop.

smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

we spinachy people use:

socks with juggling balls in them

and home-sewn cone poi (also with juggling balls in them) sewn from ripstop.

smile

just what I was afraid of....
anyone out there willing to make me a pair of home made cone poi?
Just think... if you do, you'd be helping progress poi in the US.
Come on... you know you want to.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ah, glowstringing's lame. Fire's the only thing worth doing.

Ok, RELAX! I'm KIDDING! ubblol

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Just for people's information, not to cause trouble:

frown

The 'reason' these sock poi were made was not to further poi in the US, but actually to 'proove' to the glowstringing community that isolations are non-transferrable to 'stringing' (not possible).

This was achieved and force fed to their community in less than 5 minutes it seems.

Very sad and kind of emphasizes the trouble our community is in if we don't try to change the 'hyper-tech' mindset that has been developing for a while in their community. I feel sorry for their newBs, that's for sure.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. frown

Jo.

PS. HELLLLLLO Lightning! Good to see ya smile
EDITED_BY: Jo (1109268217)

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
no, I did not mean to prove anything wrong, I want cone poi because I enjoy your art and I want to learn more about it, those sock poi aren't anything serious that you saw in that short clip. I am still looking for cone poi, and I still want to learn.

Just so the people of HoP will know what we are both refering to Jo, I'll explain. It came up in a gs.c thread that people believe that every poi move is transferable to glowsticking, at this point I have been doing poi for a few months and glowsticking a few years. I claimed that poi moves are not 100% transferable over to glowsticks because they are weighted differently.

Jo, those were my practice poi, that is also why I dismissed the idea of wanting sock poi in this thread, because I allready had some and I was looking for better made sock poi becuase I don't like how stretchy and elastic those socks are.

I still respect your art and I still think that it is amazing what you people can do, and that's why I'm still here, because I want to see what I can learn from you people in poi. You make it sound as though I was doing nothing in this thread except for trying to prove you wrong, I wasn't even considering that, Jo, you have my highest respect for what you can do with poi. I am sorry if it looks like that I'm trying to thwart what you are doing, but in reality it is nothing like that. I know part of the poi world (glowsticking) and now I'm returning to the roots and seeing what I can learn with real poi.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
That's great, man. Respect. hug

You understand how it looked I'm sure (from your tone) - didn't mean to jump to conclusions.

Jo. smile

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
It's just fine, I would have jumped to those same conclusions... probobly faster than you did, and I would have probobly been a WHOLE lot meaner.

Anyways... thread back on topic.

Through research and way too much free time I've basically found out that cone poi are home made only, there are no places that I can find that sell cone poi. In good news, MissEgyptology has convinced her sister to make some for me for my birthday.

So, if anyone out there in internet land want cone poi, bad news, you have to get them home made.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Bah, sock poi is where it's at wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Um... what's the difference between poi and 'glowsticking' anyway? It's all a thingie on a string that you swing around, isn't it?

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
Glowsticking and poi are kindred arts. Poi came first, and poi is awesome and any glowstringer who knows his or her roots recognizes this. I am a glowstringer myself, but this is probably becuase I found it first, because now that I've discovered poi, I really like it. Glowstringing is much like poi but uses somewhat of a different style due to weight and balance issues (for the record: I am NOT taking a stance on the heated debated which is currently happening in the gs.c stringing forum). Glowsticks are fun because they light up and look pretty cool when you've got fresh sticks.

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
welcome along Adrillf and other stringers. I actually started with glowstix, then went on to fire chains, juggling and stuff. But, I didn’t realise there was such a divide between the different sections of the spinning community. There should be a few glowstick threads around, perhaps the old threads on wraps or one on the merit of laces.

As far a fabric poi go, suggest u look around and make your own. I like the fluffy poi at Juggleart. They have fat strings that glow under UV, as does the ball.

I still do strings occasionally, but it takes a lot of practice to get used to the light weight. Sometimes I cheat and use a handle or add extra stix. Generally, I just drag out my electro glow poi and use them wink

Jo, I know you do great glowstix and glow, so what’s the reason/physics behind not being able to isolate with glowstix? Never heard of that one.

cheers

beerchug

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

195 posts

Posted:
Isolations can be done with glowsticks, but it's hard because they're so much lighter. Adrillf is the expert on this, and here is a demo he did demonstrating the the difficulty of isolating with glowsticks vs. poi.

https://adrillf.spymac.net/AdamsIsolations.wmv

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Well, I really don't want the bitterness of the debate on gs.c coming onto HOP at all (actually, that's the reason I posted above - but it's complicated umm )

For clarity in this thread I will state my stance which has caused a few problems...

I think anything you can do with poi you can do with glowstiks and visa-versa. That is exactly how the equasions work out (Mass cancels out)...

They think I'm wrong...

65 posts...

of mayhem.

Kinda fun though really wasn't it guys? wink

Jo. smile weavesmiley
EDITED_BY: Jo (1109297311)

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
I have furry ones with little strings as a tail but they're not long and can just be tied to the poi. Look in your nearest juggle shop :P or then thers the ones you can buy here On HoP

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

195 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I don't want to bring the debate on to HOP either, I'm just trying to give a summary to anwer aforementioned questions. I really really really don't want to get involved, I just want everyone to have fun with their spinnies weavesmiley

-NYC

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
It was kind of crazy, and I don't want to do it again. Once was enough for me.

I agree with Jo on this that you can transfer most moves, but to keep the slowness and the smoothness of poi moves into glowsticking is where I draw the line. Yes, I could isolate much more with glowsticks, but it would look like I'm spazzing out and having a seziure because I would have to go much faster, but with poi, I can go much slower and take my time and clean things up much more.

Anyways... moral of this entire thread, if you want fabric/cone poi, you're going to have to bribe a person with a sewing machine and some sort of sewing skill.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Hahahaha!...

Jo. smile

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the clarification guys smile

Well, I’ll just check the freezer, pull out me shoelaces and have a go wink

Personally, I think glowstix on strings are as much poi as fire heads on chains. Though, 99 percent of the moves that are done, are actually club swinging moves spank

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
99%?

i'd say about 40%....

rising to about 80-90% in some places i've visited.

and about 90% of the time spent spinning is done with clubswingin moves.

but poi has moved on in many ways.... smile

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
lol bluecat,

Perhaps you need to read the Intermediate chapter or the slightly more advanced Rhythmic Gymnastics Chapter or the Juggling Chapter wink

But seriously, has poi moved on? What was the benchmark? Maybe, I've been stuck in a rut, so how do you think poi has moved on?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've never felt much connection between club swinging and poi.

Written by: Stone

Though, 99 percent of the moves that are done, are actually club swinging moves

I'm not entirely sure what's meant here, so I'll not say I'm necessarily disagreeing- but I'll cast out a couple of thoughts and you can maybe say whether it relates to what you're saying, or if it's disagreeing etc.

Firstly, i can do lots with poi- 3/5 beat, rev weaves, one-handed stuff etc; but, with clubs, I'm inclined to say that I can't even pull off a basic 3 beat weave.

I can do the movements, but not to the point where I'd say it looked good or felt comfortable.

There's a lot of 'wrist' in club moves, and none whatsoever in poi moves. That, and the fact that I'm very good with poi, but useless with clubs, leads me to say that poi moves aren't club moves.

Secondly, even if I'm wrong, and poi moves are club moves, then there's still a lot of poi moves that aren't.

For example, hyperloops and throws into one-handed weaves, which, as far as I can tell, are not possible with clubs.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

lol bluecat,

Perhaps you need to read the Intermediate chapter or the slightly more advanced Rhythmic Gymnastics Chapter or the Juggling Chapter wink

But seriously, has poi moved on? What was the benchmark? Maybe, I've been stuck in a rut, so how do you think poi has moved on?

by 'moved on' i mean that four or five years ago ALL poi moves i saw were club swining derived. and now less than half the things i do have an obvious derivation from club swining. and when i travel, i see more and more of the same. obviously the links are still there, but there are enormous numbers of people doing poi who have no reference in club swining. even the clubswingers in edinburgh recognise it now, when they used to say it wasn't 'real' swinging smile spank

as for the other bit... why do i need to see those chapters? chapters of what? schatz? confused.....

R

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Chapters in life bluecat. Chapters in life.

But hey, you really need to give me some examples. Like I can say “I’ve moved on”, but maybe I’m still in the same place. Now if wraps were taps.

Dave it’s “tongue and cheek “ mate wink

But have a look at Jillings, and keep working on those wrists wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ok, I didn’t want to get into a discussion about club swinging over a throwaway remark that was meant to lighten the situation. But, I probably owe Dave a better explanation than the one given.

So Dave, where do you think all the poi moves you do originated from? I don’t think many moves have crossed from traditional Maori poi. I would suggest they came from India during the British Raj.

One handed poi vs clubs

There are plenty of one-handed clubs tricks, but I can’t do any. With practice, anything is possible. Personally, I think one-handed poi is really meteor. So no, can’t do meteor tricks with clubs (edit).

There's a lot of 'wrist' in club moves, and none whatsoever in poi moves.

I agree with wrist in clubs, but none in poi? Perhaps it’s a style thing, but wrists are important for tight lines. And, really it’s not just the wrists, it’s understanding how the different parts of the shoulder/arm/elbow/wrist/fingers work together. Personally, I think people can get away with a lot more in poi compared to clubs. Which is another way of saying you learn good technique with clubs. Look at Diana’s poi video.

That, and the fact that I'm very good with poi, but useless with clubs, leads me to say that poi moves aren't club moves.

The reason you have trouble with clubs is that you haven’t learnt the grips. Understanding how the grips work is important because they open up the pathway up and down the body. For example, having the correct grip makes btb moves much easier, smoother and tighter (yes with poi too).

Seondly, even if I'm wrong, and poi moves are club moves, then there's still a lot of poi moves that aren't.

Yes, of course there are some moves that you can do with poi and not with clubs and visa versa. Like clubs are great for throwing and contact. But apart from wraps (hyperloops are a chain wrap) would you like to list a few examples. Even though we will probably disagree on what is a move and what is a trick.

Seriously, if you are interested in good technique then have a look at club swinging.

cheers smile
EDITED_BY: Stone (1109414501)

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
uh oh.... here we go again... instead of glowsticking and poi being transferable, we now get to deal with clubs and poi being transferable.

*runs and hides and won't read this thread for a week simply because he doesn't want to get cought up in this all over again*

Page: