Forums > Social Chat > Advice and comments please!

Login/Join to Participate

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hey all, I've just finished (more or less) my new web page for the Fire Troupe we're setting up and could do with any feedback advice you think about the page.
Also for any UK pro's, advice on the pricing as these were educated estimates.

I was going to put this in the "Other Websites" section but it seems to have dissapeared.

Oh, and any suggestions for a different name would be greatly appreciated. I only used Inferno as it was at the front of my mind when I needed one.

Cheers

https://www.hugbubble.co.uk/fire/Index.htm

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
Looks good to me although the more pictures the better!!!

(I can appreciate that you may not have many at the moment!)

whats up with all the limitations?

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Kewl.
You probably don't want any advice & comments from me.......probably coz none of them would be related to anything you want advice or comments about.

Random being my middle name.....although SmallRandomBoy is a bit of a mouthful, and you're only allowed one per person.

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I love the designe for "INFERNO3 with the fire !
I find the letters a bit too small and it makes it harder to read. detailed price are good and clear IMO
More pics would be lovely and also maybe some day pics ? or do you only ^plan on night performances ?

introduction of the performers would be nice

but great job, brother

shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I really like the inferno heading applet, in fact, I'd go so far as to say it's the best flame related applet I've seen.

I agree with Cass in that performer introduction/bio type things would be good.

Overall, it's a very nice site

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
its turned out as a really good site!! more pic needed. but thats easy to add on when ever

hugs and fluff
lolli x x x

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

Alliemember
30 posts

Posted:
Cool site - I agree that the lettering for the text is a bit difficult to read in places (the vertical bars on the letters go a bit to skinny sometimes) especially on an older computer like this one at work!

Love the logos at the top of the home page and the photos are great

Hope this helps!

Allie

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
The site looks cool man. You might want to consdier changing over the front from times roman to Tahoma or Ariel (like what you are reading now). I find that they are just a rounder font and much easier on the eye. Anyhows cool site man.

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Nice site, Durbs

Two constructive comments

1. 1/10 men are colourblind in some fashion (including myself). Red characters on a black background is very hard to read if you are colourblind. Remember, it doesn't matter how nice the site looks at once, if people can't read it, it's not going to get you any business.

2. Changes for the INFERNO title (see my profile for motive ).

How about FLAMBE, SIZZLE, FLAMEBOUYANT, CAGED HEAT, FRIENDLY FIRE, COALFACE, DRAGONSCORN etc etc

Cheers

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with Charles. Although very rare amongst women, I am also red-green colour blind. Trying to read red on black and vice versa is a bitch for me! Sometimes I can't even see the text at all so miss it completely.

There's a few basic rules about page creation/layout re: consideration for the colourblind, poor of eyesight and easily distracted....

Love the fancy flames with writing though!! and yeah - we wanna see how cute you all are - more pics please!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Love the front graphic!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Thanks all for the feedback! Nice to know I'm going the right way.

I'm going to put up "Day" pics when we next go and spin during the day - likewise for profiles.

Charles - Sorry about the name, it was only meant to be temporary! Thanks for the suggestions.

And I'll have a fiddle with the colour layouts too. Have to admit I never thought about it being hard to read - just thought it looked nice
Is it the red-black combination or just having a black background?

And I'll take no credit whatsoever about the flaming applet - I just changed it to suit my needs. I think it was from www.javaboutique.com but I went through so many sites trying to find a good one I could be wrong. Double-click it for more info...

Thanks again.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
for me, it's hard to see red on any dark background, and vice versa

and it's not just red for lots of colourblind people. Some are green/blue colourblind and I'm sure they find other combos hard to read.

I think dark font - lighter background
lighter font = darker background.

We like contrast

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
Nice!
I'm using IE5.5
Link for poi4.gif seems to be broken.

Not sure what screen resolution you have chosen to design too, but at 800x600 the full size pics are very large (you cant get the whole picture on the screen at any one time)

Now if your just doing it for fun - who cares, people should get a decent monitor - but if your doing it for business, you may want to consider building so it looks good to as many people as possible. i.e. making all the pics the same size, and something under 800x600)

Course you could say sod it and maintain artistic integrity

- Alienfox -

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Durbs!

nice one mate.

I'd definitely consider using a different colour for your navigation as opposed to your content. At the moment everything seems to be related to everything else UI wise, and for easy navigation you should demarkate as much as possible. good to see you have your underlines on the links, although you could consider perhaps using graphics to bring the nav forward more? this is a bit nitpickey, but you asked for advice.

With your photoes I think you should try to get some more of the person in there, at the moment you seem to have almost all shots in which the person is not easily seen, just the trails of light. I've seen some shots where the flash is fired at the end of a time exposure to get the person nice and clear amongst the long fire circles...

I'd like to see your contact details available on every page, perhaps between the heading and the nav? dunno. but definitely make it easy for them!

and 800*600 is WAY too big for a single image in the gallery. Some potential clients migth give up looking at the money shot before it downloads...(ahem).

LOL,

Good Luck, and I think I'll catch up with you and your crew sometime...

Josh

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Don't have time to check it properly now, but from what I saw tis beautiful! I'm very impressed! I'll give it a thorough look tomorrow and give ya mo' feedback

Az abouve, So below...

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about this but you might want to include a segment on the page covering insurance against damages and audience injuries... It's an important business move if you're going to have club owners looking at the site, because they really look at that sort of thing. Hope this helps!

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
All good advice - keep it coming thanks!

Mini-competition. Any ideas for a name? I have as much originilty as a cheese and pickle sandwich so any good thoughts would be muchly welcomed.
My best so far is......
PRIMAL SINGE
Like I said; Poo.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
OK - The new colour scheme is up and bits and bobs have been changed. I haven't been able to update the photos page as I haven't got any new photos.

Cheers all

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi