master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
so I finally had the chance to see alot of different poi styles from around the world at burning man. alotta talented people out there.

but one question

is it just me, or do all of the new yorkers look exactly the same when they are spinning? out at that event it was like blatantly obvious who was from new york. thread the needle, thread the needle, low turn, throw, thread the needle, thread the needle. . . and so on.

of course, there was one exception. I did get the honor of having Skunk (maybe you new yorkers know him) at my fire group the week before and after the event, and that guy stands out as the best new yorker I've seen. but from far away even he still looks the same.

but maybe all us westerners look the same to new yorkers.

[ 09 September 2002, 18:17: Message edited by: master sodium ]

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Fish.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
me thinks too much school is driving mike crazy. and not crazy in a good way.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
theres crazy in a good way?? i just thought that was excentric...

Currently on the right side up of the world.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
so here's the deal

crazy in a good way=willing to play with fire

crazy in a bad way=babbling inanities such as "fish"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Anyway, back to the topic, yar?

I haven't seen people from ALL over the world, but can definately see regional similarities... Us Aussie's tend to have a loose style with lots of body movement, poms (English people) concentrate on technicality etc.

Just my observations.

But, have a look at any of the COL videos - I'm sure you can see similarities and/or differences in regional spinners to back up your claims.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
yeah, if only I could afford a CoL video.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I doubt that you've seen all of New Yorkers at BM but I can tell who you've met : 1337 and Skunk is a part of 1337 ... and yes, they do have similar style, but after having spent a few evenings spinning with those lovely people, I can say that they are not "all teh same" ...
I do know what you mean and do this that many NYC spinners might be Skunk- influenced (allthough NYC for example who was part of 1337 has a totally different style) and Jen too and ben and Cassandra too and ... well ...when you think of it : we're all the same spinning those chains on fire ... but still in a very different way...

But it does make sense that people spinning together tend to developp similar moves ... and your point is interesting in general

I guess it depends on how large the scene in one city is . So when the scene is as large as London you feel it less ... but you still feel it ... a few amazing spinners (no names, but they know who they are ) do influence "the crowd" (im one of the crowd so i know) ... just as everyone discovering Sage or Jo after COL started working on BTB or those waistwraps ...

know what I mean ?

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
heh, those waist wraps really are evil too cass.

imo i've seen someone do them live better than sage did them on Col2, (my very fav move i've ever seen actually, god only knows why)

but i can't do them and have given up trying.

i havn't met enough people to make any comment on the actual topic........

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I know what you're sayin'... despite my urge to get defensive.

I don't think I have that style, mostly because I don't thread no needles.

I do think that certain tribes do have similar styles. The New York bunch you're speaking of is just one aspect of New York Fire Style...

Someone once joked that New Yorkers all have a compact style because we all practice in our small studio apartments all winter long.

Keep in mind that you did only see the "New York Burningman" contingent, most of whom are all friends or at least aquaintances. As far as I know, nobody in NYC has been spinning for more that 3 years (Not even master Skunk) so I do see us as a new community. Most NYC spinners learned from a fellow New Yorker, henseforth the style similarities.

I spoke briefly with Glass this summer about the difference in NYC and London fire communities. I know that most of the people in NYC are not jugglers (including myself) and would never consider themselves as such. It's a very casual feel when large scale spins take place and there's VERY little competitiveness as far as I've seen. So much so that some spinners have been doing the same tricks for years without really improving. I don't think that many of us have questioned our "style" or lack of individuality mostly because we're just in it for fun and a place to hang out. This lack of competitiveness/ego/drive is merely a contentness with having fun doing the same stuff.

I think what you probably saw was a large number of NYC beginners and intermediate spinners from the largest city in the country. There are a FEW of us that are pushing the envelope but most of us are content spinning once a week with what we know.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Hey Master Sodium, e-mail me your addy and i'll snail mail you my copy of COL3 to borrow

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
yes, I do understand that I only saw a small portion of the new york people. I also understand that I may not have noticed some of the new yorkers because they weren't doing the style I was accustomed to new yorkers doing, so I probably thought they were from elsewhere.

and I hear what you're saying aboot doing things similar and not knowing it, cause my fire group says I have a kinda new york style, only more weavy then TTN, which developed from practicing in my room alot.

but if you guys have a compact style, why the hell do you use such long damn chains?

oh yeah, and I'm not trying to say anything bad aboot the new york style, in fact I think its great, and hope to incorporate more of it into my spinning.