Forums > Help! > Attaching my laptop to a wireless broadband connection.. help!

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
OK.. got a router.. what do I need for my laptop? Am I right in thinking it's a... PCI card? Onw which just slots in the side?

And help would be greatly appreciated.. redface

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey there

Yeh you need a PCI card that slots in the side, they cost anything from 30-60 squid.

If the router is setup and connected to the net - all you have to do is install the PCI card and it should pick up itself.

If you leave all network settings as "default" ie let windows configure itself you will not hace to mess about with any settings...... if you currently have another network the laptop is for then post back and ill dig out some how toos!

Eezy smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
What strugz said, but it's a PCMCIA card you're after - might help you find the right one.

I've found Belkin to be the best over the past few years.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
30-60 is nonsense, more like 10 to 25

Edit: after a 2 min search, 10.56 (inc vat/delivery) for 11mb, 19.96 for 55mb
EDITED_BY: flid (1109151782)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Man i got ripped off!

hahahaha

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
to add my advice

what level ap do you have, and what make

is it A B og G at the end of the nuumbers, ie 802.11a , 802.11b or 802.11g

do you knwo the diffence

A is 54mbs but down not travel well throught walls and obsticles

B is 11mbs but ravels much better

and G is 54mbs with a good travel renge and ability (with some points and card now allowing upgrade throught software to 104mbs (real cable network speed)

If you where looking for a PCIMCA card that will slot into your laptop and work

then i would suggest checking the level of your point.

If you buy an a card and you have a b hub they will not work together, a, b, and g are not compatale with each other, they work on different bandwidth and so require the right matching cards.

If you wnated osmething like a USB attachment, then you need the same advice

you could try searching Dabs.com or misco.co.uk

and see what they have, i would advice on belkin, or 3com, as they are teh ones i use at work, and at home.

Step (el-nombrie)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
all access speeds are under best conditions, g won't always be 55mbs, especially in an office or apparentment block where there's interferance from other networks. Most g access points will allow connections from b cards (at upto 11mbps), not sure if the otehr way round applies. G is so cheap thou, the last wireless access point i bought had adsl modem/usb print server built in for 44.99 (exc). Like many computer components there's not many manufacturers of wireless products (3com do make their own stuff, not sure about belkin). I've been buying from safecom at home/work. It's DIRT cheap, but all just rebadged orinoco stuff.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the tips guys. Not sure what router I got (bit of a novice at all this) but I'll check when I get home, before I order the card smile

This is what happens when 4 different people are all out buying new bits for the house.. no-one has a clue what anything is!
EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1109161591)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau