MasiSILVER Member
resident spelunker...cave bugs!!!!
152 posts

Posted:
Score!

Ok seriously, my ultimate bestfriend and I are going overseas for 3 wks this summer, just for the funzies of it.

We're trying to get a loose plan together of what we want to do, but I figure since a lot of you folks already live there you'll have a good idea of what to check out and what to avoid, etc.

So far, this is what we think we want to do:
London (side trip to Stonehenge--can you tell we're Americans?!)
Cardiff (my grandfather is a welsh immigrant, but he was an infant so he doesn't know much from there--is there anything in particular we should try to see in Wales?)
Dublin (and surrounding country side: Kildare for the horses, Newgrange & Tara)
Galway (sidetrip Bunratty Castle--we're in Galway for 2 days what else can we do?)
Glasgow & Inverness 2 days in each city; we want to hit up the Highlands and of course see Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle, Sterling Castle, Fort William, and Isle of Skye)
We'll stopover in London a nite before we cross the channel and head for Aachen to visit a friend.
While in Germany we'd like to hit up some other cities (we'll be there for 4 days) I've been to Munich, Leipzig, Nurnberg, Jena, Erfurt, Eisenach, and Wittenberg. Carls hasn't been to Germany at all so I figure maybe Berlin or Dusseldorf, maybe Frankfurt before we head back to the UK to catch our flight.

So I'm officially asking for suggestions and all of that. If there is somewhere we just HAVE to go please tell me. We want to take in as much as we can in the 3 wks we're there.

FYI we both spin so meeting some of you fantabulous people would definitely be a plus!

Birthday Countdown:

ubbrollsmile 23 in 106 days ubbrollsmile

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... For Germany, yeah, Berlin is a must if only for the history, Hamburg is my favourite city, Cologne is good for the partying and the Dome is really nice... wouldn't recommend Frankfurt so much, I found it rather dull.

Newgrange and Tara are cool smile If you stay in a hostel, take the Slane Farm hostel, it's quite close and very very nice biggrin The owners are lovely and the rooms are huge! If you stay in a hostel in Dublin, too, DON'T take the one near the Guinness brewery (I think it's called the Brewery hostel) because it really sucks.

On the other hand, if you're in Aachen, you might want to make a trip to Amsterdam, it should be closer than some German places you might want to see.

You sure you don't want to come to Edinburgh when in Scotland? wink

Hope this was helpful at all smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Come to Berlin!

This fellow Texan has plenty of room and extra futons (plenty of room for your friend too) for you to crash on. Berlin is definitely worth a few days of your time. Plus we can do lots of poi and such too!

And Amsterdam is a lovely city, even without their imfamous cafes.

Actually sounds like you got enough planned for 3 weeks already. Heck, you will have a hard time just fitting your UK and Ireland plans into 3 weeks (I did an almost identical UK/Ireland trip ten years ago, and it took me 5 weeks!)

And beware of London, it has a well deserved reputation for trapping travelers, and you will not want this to happen - there are better things to see in Europe and better ways to spend the huge amounts of money London requires (not to say it isn't worth investing a week or so in London someday though, but you should make that its own trip)

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Written by: Masi

Cardiff (my grandfather is a welsh immigrant, but he was an infant so he doesn't know much from there--is there anything in particular we should try to see in Wales?)

NOTHING! smile

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
well if you come though the midlands.. Coventry part then lemme know.
wish i could travel to the bits i have never been to, like stonehenge. Yup i know not only am i a pagan who hates camping i also have never been to stonehenge hug hug
hope you have fun

by the way the town i come from is called Nuneaton, Home to George Eliot

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
and the George Eliiot Hospital is where i was given life.

GF we have to hook up next time im around Hinckley.

Borathmember
64 posts

Posted:
Check out the Black Forest whilst you're in Germany. It's really beautiful. Sadly it's at it's best in the late Spring when all the bluebells are coming up. (Happy melancholy smile)

I can't be evil; I'm wearing pink.

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
Written by: Masi

So far, this is what we think we want to do:
London (side trip to Stonehenge--can you tell we're Americans?!)

No I can't....
just admit it: you are not a real american. real americans come to holland as well to enjoy some of the "wacky tabbacci" ubblol

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: pk ....:™

and the George Eliiot Hospital is where i was given life.

GF we have to hook up next time im around Hinckley.

bounce bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce2
yeah oooh all excited now some one knows the shite hole that is my town... hehehehe saying that app acording the chavtowns if the midlands were to have an anemema hinkley would be where they stick the tube....lolol hug hug hug hug hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
hahaha, yep, you should see the Black Forest, Heidelberg, and the castle at Neuschwanstein if you want to do the "real" American-in-Germany programme. If you like walking the Black Forest IS great, unfortunately if you've got a full programme you'll probably just see lots of trees...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

MasiSILVER Member
152 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Vanize, we will so take you up on the futon offer! I've been through Frankfurt before, but only long enough to get on a plane. Just from what I saw from the drive in it looked like a regular city.

It's funny some of y'all have mentioned Amsterdam because as soon as I posted that I thought, wait, isn't Aachen close to Amsterdam? I've already been to Neuschwanstein and it's not as spectacularly impressive in the summer as it is under all that snow when I saw it (or so I hear).

My family in Germany lives close to the Black Forest and I believe the family stateside is trying to get back to Germany for Christmas 2005 so I'm not terribly worried about seeing the Black Forest.

Oh and a little detective work got me something to do in Wales. My grandfather's family is originally from around the area near the Vale of Neath, so Carls and I are going to take a day and go Waterfall Walking.

Also it seems like anything you can do from Glasgow you can do from Edinburgh (my word they're so close! I'm used to taking full days out to go anywhere here in Texas). So if you had the choice of where to go between the two where would you stay?

Thanks so much folks for your suggestions. Carly and I are really earthy sort of people and want to get as much scenery as we can so have no fear of being trapped in London, vanize!

Birthday Countdown:

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
well, Aachen and Amsterdam are in two different countries, but only 3 hours apart by car...
If you want to have a spin somewhere in Holland: come to the dutch thread in the international section and we'll arrange to meet up somewhere.

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Glasgow or Edinburgh is difficult...
Edinburgh is much nicer and prettier, but if you like music there's much more going on in Glasgow at night. On the other hand, if you'll be here in August, we have lots of stuff going on in Edinburgh with a jazz, a film and a huge comedy festival!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Yep, come meet the dutch spinners if you make it to Amsterdam!! I can probably also get you in touch with the Galway spinning community if you like....

hug

Neph

everyone's unique except me

MasiSILVER Member
152 posts

Posted:
so me and my friend bought our tickets about 2 wks ago!

we also made up a very complete itinerary and we're leasing a car since we're still too young to rent.

our itinerary for anyone interested in knowing

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!! SO EXCITED!!!!! ubbloco

Birthday Countdown:

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
i'm doing the same with my ultimate bestfriend in a couple years when we graduate, we're goign backpacking around scotland \m/(>_<)\m/

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
ooooh you're going to Stuttgart??? say hi to my parents please :-D

alternatively, you could go up the Fernsehturm (big tower with nice view), have ice cream and coffee at Mövenpick (yummmmmmmmm!!!!!!), play in the park (but don't let people sell you drugs there they're poor quality and there's lots of police around!), etc etc etc! Have you anything planned for Stuttgart?

(G.W. Dahlquist)

MasiSILVER Member
152 posts

Posted:
my own family is sort of split between stuttgart and kaiserslautern so...that's what we'll be doing smile

Birthday Countdown:

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
whilst in london, drop by clapham common. theres poi in the park there... but i cant remeber when exactly... shrug sorry for my crap brain biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yea!

I'll mark your days in Berlin on my calander so that I don't plan anything else while you are here!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

MasiSILVER Member
152 posts

Posted:
vanize you are most awesome of awesomes biggrin

Birthday Countdown:

MasiSILVER Member
152 posts

Posted:
Wow, so it's been ages since I've been able to get on HoP. Working full time and preparing to leave town for a month overseas takes up a LOT of time

Suffice to say 8am July 19th I'm officially on the otherside of the pond!!!!

So excited I can hardly contain myself!

Birthday Countdown: