Forums > Social Chat > Should I tell 'em to stick it?

Login/Join to Participate

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Work have really put me on the spot and peed me off - the company (large national) is putting 1 big part of the business onto an upgraded version of the same operating system as another main part and upgrading that main part too. It goes live 2nd May & 4th July.

They've just realised the business isn't ready for it and want me to drop everything and dig them out the brown smelly stuff.

Why don't I want to? Well, I've been with them 8 years and up until 2 yrs ago was Business Analyst - a lovely loose title that enabled me to stick my nose in anywhere and ensure the IT solutons and processes acheived the business aims. Then 'they' had a 'review' and 're-structure', my boss was shown the door and they decided my role and function wasn't required anymore - mostly becasue it was indefineable and therefore not understood. I wasn't made redundant, but offered a change of career and promotion and I love the new job.

Basically, what they're asking me to do is screw up my current job and pick up my old role (the one they didn't need), they've not asked me, just expect me to do it and so far have made no attempt to take any work off me or tempt me with any extra dosh.

Last week i drove 1,400 business miles & worked 70 hours and this week is going to be the same, and the next and the next - it sure plays havoc with poi-practice! frown

So what do i do? Tell them to stick it or work myself to a frazzle for the wider good of the company (if/when things go wrong the repercussions will be widespread, lengthy and costly)?

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Buy a rifle and climb a clock tower wink

*waits*

Meh

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
IF that's a film reference, you've lost me..... confused

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Tell 'em to stick it. Your life is more important to you than the company, or at least it should be.

Tell them the amount of work you do for them, that even if they can't see the immense amount you do for the company you can, and so will many other employers. Tell them that it's unacceptable for them to just expect you to take this sort of censored with a smile, and that if they want you to continue your valuable input into the company then they give you more money and take less of your life, or they can "take their job and restaff it".

Not worth losing your life to people who treat you like censored.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Wild Child what is your gut reaction? Go with it. Guts know a lot!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
i'm about 3 steps from telling my boss to stick it too, I might be on disciplinary by this time tomo, and I'm sick with nerves ATM.

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Thanx, i think you're right - the hard bit is standing my ground. The protestant work ethic flows freely thru my veins, and i find it hard to say no to a boss - I always feel i owe them a favour, not the other way round. Need to cure myself of that.. But I know they'll say 'everyone works hard and we have to go the extra mile at a time like this' - forgetting i was going the extra mile only last autumn when they weren't. And i hate being a whinger

Euonymous Europeus

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Skully my gut just wants to get the hell out of the company completely cos there's just too much history for me and too many new bosses who don't know it. i know too much and that makes me resentful and I find it hard to respect them, not good huh?

Flashpoint, I know excatly how you feel hun - i hope it works out for you hug hug

Euonymous Europeus

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Don't see this as something which is not good. From what you're describing they're screwing you over, basically. You shouldn't take it. I can understand it's not in your nature but if your gut instinct is to leave, then either leave or give them the option of treating you better or you leaving.

Either way you're better off than you are at the minute..

Just my opinions though smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
It's a good opinion - basically I'm lacking the confidence to make the move and the time to get my cv done and get registered with agencies and all that shiznit, or rather using that as an excuse. I think it's fear of rejection - what if no-one else wants me??

Euonymous Europeus

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Wild Child of course others will want you. You are a warm hearted person that makes others feel at easy. Thats an asset to any company..... and thats without even knowing what you do for a living. If you are good at your job too then they would be mad not to take you on!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
with your experience? Youre joking right?

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

Wild Child of course others will want you. You are a warm hearted person that makes others feel at easy.

Do i really? i hope so, it's important to me that others feel included as i so often feel 'out of it' - and you (and Gidg) always make me feel welcome and part of it. Thanx Skully hug2

Euonymous Europeus

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Just telling it like it is hun. No need for thanks but I'll take the hug and return you a few hug hug hug

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
I'm smiling for the first time in a week hug Bit off topic, but fell out with a friend yesterday as well (and i don't have many where i live), so life seems pretty poo ATM. Looking forward to Falmouth and real hugs!

Euonymous Europeus

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
hug have hug a hug few hug more hug to hug tide hug you hug over hug until hug then hug

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it's times like this that looking forward to things was invented for wink

hug

Thoreau

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
have some virtual hugs from me too! hug hug hug hug hug hug

I'll reclaim them at Falmouth! wink

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
you'll have to catch me first! wink

ooh i feel all hugged up
Gotta go now - small matter of 280 mile drive to Kent tomorrow morning frown - thanx guys, I'll hold onto these when I'm facing them down tomorrow

'non illegitimum non carborundum' nana to Brakes!

Euonymous Europeus