Forums > Social Discussion > Taking care that medical or technical infomation you post is correct.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ok I'm NOT putting up this thread to name, names or shame anyone but I feel something needs to be said.

Please can you take care what advice or information you give people when placing posts on this board. Sometimes people read things on the board and because its in type they take it to be utterly true and correct.

I noticed yesterday that someone had advised a person on burns, saying that you should put second and third degree burns under water for 10 mins. Anyone with medical knowledge would tell you NEVER to put burns where the skin is broken into water because of the potential for infection of the wound.

I know this information is available on this site in the Fire Safety pages, but this particular poster had obviously not read these pages.

Please just be careful with what you tell others when it comes to safety and technical information. If you get it wrong and they follow your advice and get hurt how will you feel? Pretty crappy I'm guessing.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
after a few months shouldn't i at least see a green tinge

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
[side note] For UK dwellers, don't ring 999 - ring NHS Direct unless the person is like REALLY burnt. smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

after a few months shouldn't i at least see a green tinge

Not necessarily. Algae, bacteria and parasites can be present in water even when clear and pristine looking. To get the green tint, you would have to be giving algae what it really needs to thrive (see previous, long post before Polarity and I got way off topic).

If you were skipping it, here's the highlight reel:
If the algae isn't getting enough light, phosphates, and nitrates to really thrive, you may not see a visual outbreak of algae.

That's actually how people keep some aquariums looking absolutely pristine. They maintain a careful balance between the nutrients and light to keep a healthy population and clean tank. This doesn't mean algae isn't in the water column. It just means the algae is under control by not being fed, essentially.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
It can depend on the kind of bottled water. They all have different kinds of chemicals in them depending where the water's been before it's bottled. If the water includes some run off from farm land it'll have the phosphates and nitrates algae needs to thrive.

Water can be perfectly clear and teeming with life at the same time.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I can't comment on other countries but British tap water is highly unlikely to contain high enough populations of anything likely to infect a normal burn (unless there has been a catostophic filtration failure). It obviously won't be completly sterile, but algae and most of the other organisms present won't infect burns.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
duh, i should know that, with all my natural resource management lab classes

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
ironic = me just reading about a study that found that doctors make more accurate diagnoses when they use Google to find information than if they simply rely on what they were taught in med school and their past experience...So much for the internet being full of rubbish advice...

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

1,189 posts

Posted:
But doctors will generally know or be able to tell which sites are rubbish and which are reliable. For every useful website there are about a dozen more of the "Natural cures THEY don't want you to know about" vein. Some are very well presented and layed out and if someone lacks medical knowledge and/or is predisposed to a certain degree of gullibility then there is a good chance they can get taken in.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
The most technically advanced sites on the web (content wise) are those that have the least design work done on them.

If it's got no tables or frames and no images except for diagrams and figures, white background, black text, blue links and purple visited links, the person who made the page has no time for design, doesn't care much for presentation and making a good impression to sell something, and is more likely to be putting their efforts into studying what they're writing about. They're highly likely to have a lot of references you can follow up.

Marketing on the other hand is all about looks, and getting people to think things that aren't true. If it's easy to understand what little text is there, the images are colorful and simple, and it's easy to get around the site as opposed to it being one long page, then it's obvious someone's put more into the design than the content.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

Marketing on the other hand is all about looks, and getting people to think things that aren't true. If it's easy to understand what little text is there, the images are colorful and simple, and it's easy to get around the site as opposed to it being one long page, then it's obvious someone's put more into the design than the content.

*stamps foots*

Gee, thanks. Designer here. shrug

On the water cleanliness issue:
It's all about knowing your source. In Atlanta, seasonal rains have a tendancy to flood the Chattahoochi River (a major water source) and contaminate it with sewage (hooray for a small Giardia outbreak to teach me that urban legend is true). At my NJ home, the town water comes from a source deep beneath the town and in the mineral bed (*despite the belief that all NJ is dirty, the water's pretty clean in our area- just really hard). If you know your water source, you have a better idea of what sort of things can be swimming around in it.

On the medical advice thing:
Since I have a limited knowledge of medical treatment that really encompasses more animal care than human, I'm still sticking to going with a doctor's opinion. Iunno. It just seems that there are just so many things that can go so utterly wrong with the human body, and so many things that can change in a heartbeat, gah.... well... I guess you get where I'm going with my general over protectiveness of anyone I spin with. redface

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
he wasn't critising designers! he critising supposely contentful pages that contain mostly design and fancy graphics and not much in the way of information.

Designers design things, they don't provide the content generally.

You just have to be wary people don't use your designin' skills for the purposes of evil.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

You just have to be wary people don't use your designin' skills for the purposes of evil.

*giggle* I have a theory that graphic designers are the ultimate supervillains, because, when used effectively, design can play a powerful subconscious role in people's judgment of products, people, literature, etc. I gave a speech in Public Speaking on it one time.

I was kidding, MCP, but, now, you must pay for revealing designer's true nature as evil villains! Muahahahaha.

On a more on topic note (*although, we're skating dangerously close to being WORLDS off topic again), check citations and footnotes. A highly informative page can be well designed, just as a bland page can contain exceptionally poor information. Look for sites that back up their information with testimonials, references, citations, and/or credentials. If the citations/footnotes/etc checks out, then you should be good to go as per source of info.

Anywho, just use your best judgment. If it sounds like crap, it probably is.

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

Look for sites that back up their information with testimonials...

Testimonials are usually a bad sign, as it is the general tactic of the quack. Most legitimate sites would avoid testimonials like the plague.

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

Testimonials are usually a bad sign, as it is the general tactic of the quack. Most legitimate sites would avoid testimonials like the plague.

Hence the full statement : "testimonials, references, citations, and/or credentials."

Testimonials should never be taken without an appropriate reference source/credentials and without an appropriate grain of salt. It's just like citations. You really should check into both testimonials and citations to make sure they check out. Again, it's a question of using your best judgment. Testimonials coming from a knowledgable source are one thing, but coming from Joe Schmoe from down the road or another otherwise unqualified source is useless.

1,189 posts

Posted:
I would be inclined to disagree. Most reputable sources would shy away from testamonials completely. Anyone can fake credentials or quote a source out of context.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
even if the testimonial is from a reputable source, it doesnt represent a generalisable experience, just one reputable source's opinion. And how many just as reputable counter-opinions have not been published?

Testimonials are for silly people - which is why they are used in marketing! smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Page: