Forums > Social Discussion > Does HoP Glamorise Fire Breathing!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'm wondering what people's perspectives are on this.

On the one hand there are a lot of great discussions on the danger. But on the other hand you have plenty of pictures in the galleries that seem to just glamorise it without any useful information.

Does anyone think this is hypocritical?

Cheers!

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
It's very interesting and moving to see those threads.

I think photos of fire breathing in the galleries WITH those warning links will probably be much more effective than taking the photos down. People who are interested in the pictures will see the warning, and hopefully that way it'll get to the people who need to see it. Hiding the photos will just make people want to look elsewhere to find them.

I've never had any particular interest in breathing myself, but I had no clue it was so dangerous until I read about it here. I knew it had to be pretty bad, but I'd only been thinking about how awful it would be to inhale at the wrong moment and breathe in flames-- I didn't have ANY clue that the fuel was so incredibly toxic just by itself. One wrong swallow, one wrong breath, and BANG.

Frankly, I'm now amazed that fire breathing is even legal.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
It is odd that google doesnt list HOPs Fire Breathing safety sheet thing as the first result?

umm

Would it not be a good idea to suggest it to them?

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
After checking who's online, about a few hours ago, there were 17 people out of 42 in Anonymous Browsers reading articles on Fire Breathing Safety, or accounts of accidents. I do believe that the links to the "Hazards of Fire Breathing" are working.

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: stout

But I have to ask all you experienced fire breathers out there, Why did you try it in the first place? Was info. concerning the hazards not available?? Or was it a case of " it won't happen to me?" If you had to do it all over again, given what you know now, would you have tried it in the first place? Judging by the posts,,,I think not

Alright, now there is a question.

I did it because it was something I had wanted to do since I was little and because I thought it would be a nice addition to my show. I have never been a "backyard fire person" because I did educate myself on the dangers and decided it is only worth the risk with my shows.

When I started, what..a decade ago?, there was the Mephisto site and the god-aweful book by Benjamin "Garth" Mack. Neither one offered alot of information, so no, not alot or enough.

I worked with my safeties to develope a safety protocal specifically for fire breathing.

I researched the fuels on MSDS.

I researched every possible danger there was, to all fire arts, all on my own.

That was when I wrote the fire breathing article for HoP.

I knew people died doing it. I knew people had accidents, but no one had ever publicised anything about their accidents. There was this hush-hush attitude that surrounded the accidents (because that is how things work in sideshow, where this art evolved from to the fire community) and the feeling that if it leaks out that you had an accident, you are somehow dangerous and unprofessional.

I knew that something would happen at some point, and I thought when I suffered mild fuel poisoning, that was my something.

I never dreamed about what would happen if I had a *real* accident.

When I was recovering in the hospital I made the decision to write A Season in Hell. At the time it was because it was cathartic for me, but also because I was really upset that there was no information for potential breathers out there like this when I started. I was told that it would make me look bad and that I would never work again because of admitting to having the accident.

Obviously that is not the case.

Would I do it again? I am going to take back the "knowing then what I know now" statement from earlier and say I absolutely would.

I was told I survived because I had strongly developed lungs from dance and scuba and such to start with, and a cast iron will. Perhaps not everyone would have had that. Perhaps someone else would been embarassed and not have shared their ordeal. I don't know. What I do know is that I get emails, still, about how my article has helped someone. It has been translated, as far as I know, into 5 languages at least. 3 teachers that I know make thier students read it before they move on to fire of *any* kind.

Would I do it all again? Absolutely because it has helped people.

Has it saved lives? I would never be so arrogant as to say so, but it is there to help educate those who really want it.
EDITED_BY: Pele (1109347627)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

PK...fire eating also rots the teeth. After 31 years of no cavities, I have my first one. It weakens the protective enamel and breaks it down. If you compare an xray of the teeth of a fire eater/breather before they started with after a year or two, it is pretty disgusting to see what it does to the teeth.

Thanks for bringing that up.

There are other dangers involved as well. One of my good friends, both a breather and eater, and one of the most careful people I know, had an accident when she was getting set to eat. After shaking off the excess fuel from the torch, she raised it above her head, and was proceeding to lower the torch, when a large clump of excess fuel simply dripped off the wick and almost landed in her eye. The wick hadn't even come undone, and I had seen her shake it off prior. Luckily, it landed on the area between her nose and eye (skin only), and she was not seriously hurt. I feel that it is important to stress over and over, that no matter how much experience you have with something, or however comfortable you are with an artform, it is dangerous, and serious injury is a very real possibilty.

Back to Fire Breathing though,

I cannot tell you how many countless times, when our local group is spinning, and people walk by (we're known at our uni), they egg us on to breath. These fools actually think that its really that simple, that anyone can do it. Granted, there are just as many that are fascinated by simply watching, but those ignorant gits can really be irritating.

Oh well, you just smile and explain to them that its very serious, explain the risks involved (if they'll listen), and most of the time they are more than understanding.

I myself once considered Fire Breathing, and still do on occasion, and I must say, HoP is a very powerful and effective deturrent.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
That's very true; when I used to busk with fire clubs and spin fire at shows etc, a lot of people would be asking 'can you eat it/put it in your mouth' etc.

Another strange thing about the general public is that they have real problems distinguishing between the fire arts- I've been booked by people who've seen me fire-juggling, explained to them that I don't fire-breathe, done an act while they're watching; and, afterwards, they'll still be referring to me as 'the fire-breather' !?!

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, I like this little fire breathing sigline campaign we've started.

It's like the online version of a rubber bracelet campaign. smile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Patrick the Bubba Badger

I'm wondering what people's perspectives are on this.

On the one hand there are a lot of great discussions on the danger. But on the other hand you have plenty of pictures in the galleries that seem to just glamorise it without any useful information.

Does anyone think this is hypocritical?

Cheers to Patrick for initiating this very productive thread.

and-

Written by: pk ....:™

my sugestion is this.

if we are all feeling so strongly about making others so aware of the dangers that we add a simple line to our signatures.

now how many times will the article be linked accross the enire thread network of homeofpoi? if only a few people were to do this?

cheers to PK for the signature idea

smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: ...Lightning...

It's like the online version of a rubber bracelet campaign. smile

ubblol ubblol ubblol

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
Just a quick thank you to Pele for all her work on this topic, and I know her articles are the one thing that kept me from fire breathing.

When i first started spinning i was out to do it all, including fire breathing, but I quickly changed my mind upon reading her articles, which as noted multiple times are extremly acessible

It just didnt seem worth the risk to me, and i explain those risks now everytime someone asks why i dont do it in my routine or when someone says they want to firebreath

So thanks again to pele, and HoP in general from stopping me, and im sure quite a few many others from undertaking this dangerous art

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:

I think this thread has the biggest ammount of links to other pages on any thread here on HOP.

Written by: OneWheelDave

That's very true; when I used to busk with fire clubs and spin fire at shows etc, a lot of people would be asking 'can you eat it/put it in your mouth' etc.

ditto

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Firebreathing aaauuuugggghhhhhh . Yes =looks spectacular. No= NOT WORTH IT as so many of you have pointed out.

A little different to Pele's experience: a friend of mine who is a highly experienced, professional and generally very safe performer was required/requested to do it in a performance. Usually doesn't for all the obvious reasons, but does know how to do it, was a bit tired......lost concentration for a second, got hurt. NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!! for the end of a career/life for a second of impressing someone who doesn't even realise you are risking your life.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

nuff said

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
XD Very good.

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
I agree with alot of what everyone sais here.

Pictures and photo's really do glamorise fyre breathing...
And seeing it is really awsome!

But i know very few people who are as carefull as one can be when breathing!
In fact quite the opposite! I know someone who thinks its cool cos it makes him feel "that much closer to god"
:o
yea there's certainly a huge adrenaline rush there... anyone ever stop to wonder why? DUH!

Yea i do it...
sometimes...
When someone pays me enough!

and yea i've had a couple of scares... but i've been pretty careful with it...

then i see these guys who do it for ego's sake! And people who do it just for fun or just to impress!

the worse! Some reckless ameture teaching a kid to breath! I lost my rag that night!

I very rarely teach anyone how to breath, and when i do, i try change their minds... which often works... then you get those who still want to... i'd rather get someone to do it properly (if there is even such a thing) and with as much caution as possible, instead of them going out and just trying it out!

people are always going to hear about it...
people are always going to see it somewhere...
people are always going to want to try it out!
the best that (not only HoP) but all of us, individually and as a global community can do is to try educate people, and i think that through HoP we are pretty much doing that as best we can!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I think HoP does...I have been looking through some of the galleries and realised that to someone young who doesn't really have much of a decent brain capacity (joke) that something dangerous does actually look cool.

I know we have disclaimers all over the pictures and everytime someone posts the words "fire breathing" it has the little warning thing too...and I do agree with having the information on hand so that people will do it the proper way...but having pictures of it in the gallery especially by the people who are maybe more experienced and therefore maybe more of an idol may be just a little bit inappropriate in my mind.

Just my opinion.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
erm...

most dangerous things look cool and fun tho...

bungeeeeeeee....
white water rafting....
rally racing....
FYREDANCING!

Regards hug

Shu

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
"I think HoP does...I have been looking through some of the galleries and realised that to someone young who doesn't really have much of a decent brain capacity (joke) that something dangerous does actually look cool."

Can I speak for the young people? Cos I am one and all.... Nearly 17.

Right... erm. Yeah, I reckon Fire Breathing does look cool. It looks like a bit of fun as well. But I've not tried it and I'm not sure that I ever will Because I've read everything on here about the dangers. The disclaimers and what not are a put off, and Pele's story about her accident is by no means glamourous. But I could be described as a sensible chap, and I am but one teenager. Others aren't so sensible. Pity really... they give us lot a bad name. wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I completely stand by my earlier statements and was happy to see this thread revived (thanks Shu!).

There has been alot of controversy going on behind the scenes because I have a photo in my gallery of me fire breathing.
But if anyone goes to my website it is the first thing they see.

I think that to not have them up, especially with my articles everywhere is doing a dis-service to those who wish to learn.
First of all, you can see that I am doing it. I am not some matronly person wagging my finger in your face saying don't do it. I've tried it. I nearly died. This is why I *feel* it is a bad idea for others to do. It gets attention, and proves that I actually do know what I blather about.

I also feel that not posting them up is denying a huge part of who I am, what I have done and where I have been. That is completely hypocritical to who I am and I can't be like that.

It is not glamorizing at all. I simply think of the hundreds and hundreds of photos I have of me fire breathing, that is the prettiest.

I have breathed fire since my accident. I needed to.
I do not do it even once per year though, where I used to do it about 30 times a weekend...if not more. I'm not stupid and I learned my lesson, and I will again say that I am grateful that I am the one who was chosen to go through that. I'm not proud of the accident, but alot of good has come of it.

I maintain it is one of the most unglamorous things we can do. Well, fire on the whole is because it is dirty, sooty, smokey, smelly....you get the idea. I do not in anyway feel that HoP glamorizes fire breathing. Moreso now than ever actually.

And I do feel that we have done/are doing all we can to encourage people to be educated about it and really to not even attempt Fire Breathing.

And I am still very grateful to everyone and proud of everyone who has really evaluated their lives and done their research, no matter what the outcome.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Well said Pele. One of the first things I did when I thought about starting to fire breathe was come here and read both of the articles. I also researched information on fuels and how to deal with the aftermath of fire breathing. I chose to do it because I wanted to try it at least once in my life. The reason that I have continued to do it is because I enjoy it. That being said I very rarely do it as it is mostly something I do for public performance or photoshoots. This is because I want to set what I think are acceptable limits so that I am less likely (in my mind) to have a major accident.

I was recently asked by the Juggling Society in St Andrews to do a 'lecture' on fire breathing for the other members and I declined as, in my view, the risks are too great and undertasnding the subtle nuances of how each effect is created is something that can not really be taught. Also, I rely a lot on my synesthesia when fire breathing to tell what the flame is actually doing as each effect has a subtly different sound and therefore colour and shape to me and that is something that can't be explained properly as it is unique to me. That being said, I don't get the flash blindness that accompanies the art as, at times, I have difficulty seeing what is actually there as my 'vision' becomes overwhelmed by synesthetic colours which means I'm very selective of where I perform fire breathing.

I agree with Pele when she says that it is not glamorous as I've had very bad chemical burns from the fuels which, believe me, were not only painful but unattractive and thats on top of the soot, dry lips and oily residue in the immediate aftermath. Its no fun when you're at a Ball (having just finished performing) and a girl comes up to talk to you and your face and chest look like a giant soot covered cold sore (which is a form of herpes btw) and she leaves pronto.

On the other hand, I don't want the art to die out and will always help those who want to start as long as they have the right attitude and are willing to practice their technique until they feel secure with it before they even think about fire.

HoP in my view does everything it can to educate people about the dangers and bar completely banning all mention of fire breathing (which would be a daft idea imho) there is little more they can do. I think the idea that everyone who fire breathes has a little line in their sig linking to Pele's article is a fantastic idea and will add it to mine.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:

I am not some matronly person wagging my finger in your face saying don't do it.

I am. wink

Well, not wagging the literal finger cos that is not effective communication, but regularly approaching lads (it's always lads) who are showing off, often in front of even younger lads.. or the girls of course.. at Moonfest or wherever. Matronly actually works well for this sort of intervention because it reduces the bite back censored response the blokes get.

I actually do know what I blather about.

Thanks to the good educational work on this site, which gives us matrons an authoritative reference, I think I know enough about it now to be a responsible figure in both public and private spaces. Which is of course very much thanks to you, Pele, and all respect is due to you for that.

Which just leaves us the question of whether it really is for the greater good or confusing the issue by continuing to post photos of it on this site, pretty/unusual ones or not.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I got shown how to fire breathe by a girl, about 19 years old. I resent the implication that it's only egotistical boys that do it, because it's so flagrantly not the case.

And it's not a confusing issue in my mind. HoP is a forum to discuss/learn about most of the fire arts (and also non-fire stuff of course), that's what the "Other toys" section is for. Fire breathing is an art form, in the same way everything else on here is art.

YES you get teenagers wanting to impress people. But you also get that with boy racers, chavs, vandalism and a myriad of other past times. It's not the hobby that's the problem, it's the people.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Of course it's not only boys who do it. Pele was not a boy. Nor is Jazzy or others I know who can and sometimes do it. However at particular events I attend, it has always been teenage boys having a go. And being a *matronly person* is actually useful when dealing with the safety issues inherent in public events.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

....................Fire breathing is an art form, in the same way everything else on here is art.

YES you get teenagers wanting to impress people. But you also get that with boy racers, chavs, vandalism and a myriad of other past times. It's not the hobby that's the problem, it's the people.

I think that many see fire-breathing as being more problematic than, say, fire-spinning, purely because, for whatever reason, a lot more people, have been a lot more hurt, by doing it.

Another factor that leaves it more open to abuse is that it appears to be easier to learn and to teach.

(I say 'appears' because, as we know, to teach/learn breathing responsibly, takes a fair bit of time and practice- however, sadly, some go for the relatively quick irresponsible route).

Hence the number of posts here that have referred to incidents of highly irresponsible people teaching fire breathing to gullible individuals whilst drunk at parties.

Fire-poi can seem, on first sight, to be an appealing art for those looking for a 'quick-fix' skill to impress their peers. On trying it, those looking for a 'quick-fix' will be put off as they realise proficiency will take a lot of work and committment.

Fire-breathing can, and unfortunately, has been, 'taught' to complete beginners in a couple of hours (and there are people making money out of doing precisely that).

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

I am not some matronly person wagging my finger in your face saying don't do it.

I am. wink

Hey.... me too!

bt then i'm just a snob, so i guess tht's okay then!

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!

NYC PyroSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
i personally would only do it for the challange, but im also simply a raver who needs to learn stringing better to do poi, and when i get better at poi, i'll consider firebreathing, but only for being better at what i like to do and honestly it does seem intriguing, but why else does anyone do anything?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Written by: Shu

Written by: newgabe

I am. wink

Hey.... me too!

umm And me! wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Twiggymember
162 posts

Posted:
I dont believe that firebreathing is glamorised in photo's on hop. If you can firebreathe its a nice thing to have photo's of yourself doing so as its very hard to tell exactly what it looks like when your doing it.

Its a fair point that it may encourage people to try firebreathing, in fact i know it does because i was one of those people.

However, i took notice of all the hazards and researched thoroughly what i was doing. If anyone is stupid enough to try something that is obviously dangerous, it is in my oppinion their own fault if it goes wrong.

The same applies for all the spinners that use wire wool.. is that not a glamourised act of something also fairly dangerous. Spinning fire poi itself is a dangerous act for someone unfamilair with poi and there are always going to be the odd few people who think they can do these things simply because they arent scared or want to show off.

Fire is, i think, the most common thing to be added to a sport (or anything for that matter) to give it that extra edge. Juggling, staff, poi, hoop, playing card manipulation and even photoshopped text have fire added to make it look 'cool'.

If you want to play with fire, be prepared for the unexpected.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Another vote for the opinion that HoP doesn't glamorise fire breathing. HoP aims to provide information about fire breathing so that this information is available on the largest fire spinning site on the web and so can be easily found and people educated.

The other option is that we enter denial and people thinking about fire will not have the same access to information about a dangerous activity and potentially cause damage to themselves and/or others.

So it's a gamble we take and by the sounds of it one that most people on HoP agree with. We, the mods, and Malcolm, the owner of this site, have made the educated decision to allow pictures and discussion of fire breathing. We stand by this decision and openly invite constructive discussion of this decision.

Page: