Forums > Social Chat > New Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy trailer - Don't Panic!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Trailer

Righto. With so many brits and fellow Douglas Adams fans I just HAD to post this up.

I'm bringing my towel. Hope it doesn't bomb - but it ought to be good.

btw, I leave for awhile and cantus is reaching 10k posts. My I ought to come back to HoP more often - expect a video soon! weavesmiley

Just as soon as I get antispin flower turns w/ glowsticks down. ubbloco

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
the dolphin song is wicked ubbloco biggrin

However I didn't find it that inspiring confused - certainly not made the most of the material available - hmm. Fun though. Just not quite fun enough.

ubbrollsmile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

AzadondoSILVER Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
I saw it last night. The dolphin song was great. The movie was entertaining. I liked it and I agree with Trillian, that to stick with the way that every incarnation has been sense the radio plays it would have to be different from the books, just to keep people guessing as to how it will change this time. The way sections of the guide were my favorite bits, other than the dolphin song. Go see it, but don't expect to be watching the book.

Performing marriages, funerals, baptisisms, last rites and absolving the sins for HoPers for-- not very long actually.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I saw it on thursday and was really disappointed.

I got the impression that they'd either left out or rewritten half of most of the jokes, cutting out the punchlines or making them not funny.
I'd have preferred that either they stick to the whatever incarnation (radio/book/tv series/play) of the guide they were taking the parts from, or that they rewrite the whole section. Rewriting the jokes and trying to keep them on par with Adams' humour just made them lame.

frown

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Seleniamember
28 posts

Posted:
They said here in radio, that Douglas himself has been writing the script untill his death, so if he has changed it, i think he has the right. biggrin

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I saw it. The bar was way too high for this movie.

The obvious political message about Zaphod compared to Bush was hillarious. The Dolphin song was wonderful. The casting was rather well done, but I felt the same about some of the humor. It was toned down to sub-Douglas humor I felt.

And there was no God-disapearing-in-a-poof-of-logic entry from the guide! I was so disapointed by that. Ruined the whole movie as a remake of the book.

But taken as just a movie, it was ok. Of course it didnt do the book justice, but then I dont think it could have possibly made this bar...

ilsanyamanic over a fence
798 posts

Posted:
i loved the dolphin song!
it was a good movie by its self, but not good for dedicated fans.
if i sat back and enjoyed it as a movie then it was pretty cool but it didnt measure up to the book.

Quid Pro Quo
5|>00|\|5 /-\|^3 <00|!

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I'm a massive hitchhiker's fan and I loved the movie. I guess I just have lower standards than everyone else... smile

"Take that, math!"

Seleniamember
28 posts

Spontaneously CombustableThe cuter FRD
214 posts

Posted:
I loved all 4 books, and i am seeing the film this weekend cos of school and stuff... but i will only be content if they have the scene with the whale and the bowl of petunia nuts...hehe

----There are no opportunities, only problems----

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
what about the fifth?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
what about the fifth book?

hmmm... wonder when it will play in germany?

oh! will it still be on in two weeks in london? I'll be there then. but then I suppose you all have seen it and won't be up for watching it again....

-v-

214 posts

Posted:
is there a 5th book?? i thought it was
The guide to the galaxy,
Restaurant at the end of the universe,
Life, The universe and everything
and so long and thanks for all the fish (which was completly random)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
"mostly harmless" is the last one

-v-

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
I couldn't help but spend the entire film spoting which jokes they had missed out or botched. I did enjoy it though but I think I know the books to well to be really into it.

However what was so good about the Dolphin song? It wasn't particularly funny...

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

214 posts

Posted:
Isn't there work that they have started the 2nd film...?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
what about the 6th book?
'the salmon of doubt' smile

i saw the movie on sunday and *loved* it - even though i was half expecting to be disappointed/highly critical.

alan rickman's marvin was easily the equal of the tv series' marvin, mos def didn't play ford wrong at all (as i kinda suspected he might) and the jokes work all over again - they never tire smile

made me kinda sad when it finished and i thought how pleased i was with it, that douglas adams would have been really proud yet never got to see it frown

as an extra bonus, we got home and switched on paramount to find the tv series playing, right at the bit where they visit the restaurant at the end of the universe (exactly where the film ends!).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well maybe coleman will go see it again with me...

-v-

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
or you can see it when you come to the states. It just opened over the weekend here as well, so I'm sure it will still be around at the end of the month.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I haven't seen it yet. It's been years since I read the books though, so I can't remember half the jokes anyway. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed by the film if I can't remember the jokes or the plot, that way I can't sit there and pick it apart when I do see it.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: spritie

or you can see it when you come to the states. It just opened over the weekend here as well, so I'm sure it will still be around at the end of the month.

hmmm... that's a thought...

-v-

Seleniamember
28 posts

Posted:
It's so unfair frown I don't know when it's coming to Finland, I even heard about it only few weeks ago. In that time I was reading the book ((I have all five in one -book, just had bought it, since someone stole the last one, even when I had written my name in the cover)) and seems like no one((of my friends)) has heard about it either, it has been a suprise to everyone.

Hope it's coming soon...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
ONe more sleep till i see it! (altho i've been told its a let down........)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Burning_Bengalnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
the movie is funny, I just saw it on saturday, I want to read the books more than i did before cause all my friends are talking about stuff from them and I am getting confused >.< beerchug

burning thingys is fun, and exciting

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I'm hoping that the fact that I haven't read the books in a while will help...

-v-

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I saw a special preview before it came out, with Q&A afterwards with the director and producer.

Thought the film was fun, but of course, nowhere near as good as the books. But then, alot of the humour and brilliance in the books is the side comments, descriptions or wording by the narrator - the dialogues themselves are seldom that funny - which comes across in the film, as the lines aren't actually that funny, but they've tried to make them sound funny... Martin Freeman was a good Arthur, but he was trying to be a funny Arthur. Arthur isn't meant to be funny, he's meant to be british wink

What dissapointed me, was I know the radio series really well, and I know the books really well (probably a little too well) - and so all the classic lines sounded "wrong" to me as they weren't said the way I remember them (Apart from the sperm whale strangely - well done Bill Bailey)

But all in all - a good film. If you've read the books, it'll annoy you because they've changed things, if you haven't read the books, it'll confuse the hell out of you.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
OH, I dunno, I've never read the books, but I didn't find it confusing. Hell, from the first moment I saw a mouse, I guessed that the mice were the first most intelligent beings on the planet. I did find it pretty funny though. I think I'll have to read them after I finish getting through the Heralds of valdemar series

What exactly do I have to light on fire to get you to notice me?

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
hopefully seeing it in a week or so..

though after reading the books, radio script and listening to the radio series, i'm kinda skeptical about it being pulled off as a movie...

will get back to you once i've seen it. smile

Seleniamember
28 posts

Posted:
Awww, it's coming here in the end of july! ubbcrying I can't wait to see it...

Page: