Forums > Social Chat > New Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy trailer - Don't Panic!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Trailer

Righto. With so many brits and fellow Douglas Adams fans I just HAD to post this up.

I'm bringing my towel. Hope it doesn't bomb - but it ought to be good.

btw, I leave for awhile and cantus is reaching 10k posts. My I ought to come back to HoP more often - expect a video soon! weavesmiley

Just as soon as I get antispin flower turns w/ glowsticks down. ubbloco

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Its massive.

Im on 1mb broadband and its taking a while to load...

rolleyes

Now I've watched it... oh my god.

Firstly.. it has the American movie film man doing the voice over at eh start. Thats always a bad sign.

Secondly...I thought Zaphod Bebelebrox had two heads, whereas in this version, he clearly only has one. Or am I thinking of the TV series in which he had two heads, seeing as I hacvent read the books.

Thirdly.. seeing as I havent read the books, I cant comment on how true to ehstory it is, but it all looks rather CGI.

SO I will have to see it all when it fully comes out.
EDITED_BY: Unattractive Cranky Old Freud (1108735843)

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
i'd heard somewhere it was taking place in the US. that would suck majorly, but it was just a rumor so i dont know how accurate it is. i heard somewhere that the actor playing Ford was black, with anoys me but shouldn't affect the plot.
the logo contains a reference to teh fifth book in the trilogy which means one of three things: 1. they'll make five movies 2. they're making all 5 books into one movie 3. they just put in a reference for the hell of it.
i'm crossing my fingers that it'll rock. if it doesn't, then the people who made it will be lynched. the hhgttg trilogy is a masterpiece, and if they ruin it, there'll be hell to pay

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
He does have two heads, but later in the trailer.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"the actor playing Ford was black, with anoys me but shouldn't affect the plot. "

To be perfectly honest with you.. thats exactly what I first thought.

redface

but I would have said: the actor playing Ford was black, with anoys me but won't affect the plot.
EDITED_BY: Unattractive Cranky Old Freud (1108737828)

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I really hope they don't ruin it. I'm not entirely convinced by that trailer.

I don't remember zaphod being able to hide his second head, short of using the parrot cage trick, I'll be annoyed if he spends most of the film with just one head.

I also don't remember Ford's actual thumb glowing when he hitched a lift. I thought it was 'an electronic sub-ether signalling device' that he used. *shrug* artistic license, I just hope they don't take it too far.

As to a black man playing Ford, I don't care. I'd care more if it was a crap white actor, as it stands I'd reckon that Mos Def is more than up to the task.

Obviously it matters in some cases (Patrick Swayze playing Malcolm X, or Eddie Murphy playing Hitler for example), but skin colour really doesn't make a great deal of difference in this instance.

Written by: sparkey

i'd heard somewhere it was taking place in the US.

Just so long as they keep Arthur as British, which I think is fairly important, I don't mind too much where the start's set. Whichever country they've used doesn't last long after all.

EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1108739754)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
I must have read this series 40-50 times

I'm just hoping this will be good.

and....

Yeah Zaphod Had only one head when tillian met her at a party!

It never really explains about it in the book where he got his extra head from.

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I thought it was a fancy dress party and he put something over the second head and told everyone it was a parrot inside, perched on his shoulder.
I'll have to go look, it'll drive me nuts otherwise. heh, any excuse to read it again smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
since when did swayze play malcolm X and Murphy play hitler??

........ confused2

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Heres one for all you realy geeky fans:
https://wikisource.org/wiki/The_Ultra-Complete_Index_to_the_Hitch_Hiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
just remind me not to read the book again just before seeing the movie....

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: darkpoet

since when did swayze play malcolm X and Murphy play hitler??

........ confused2

They havn't, as far as I'm aware, I was just using them as examples of when the colour of an actor's skin would be quite important.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

I thought it was a fancy dress party and he put something over the second head and told everyone it was a parrot inside, perched on his shoulder.
I'll have to go look, it'll drive me nuts otherwise. heh, any excuse to read it again smile

what we have here is an inconsistancy on the behalf of the author. i think originally, he had planned that zaphod had aquired the second head in the same manner as the third arm, but then in the second book his great grandfather had two head as well. so, in the fifth book he said that he had diguised it in a bird cage. so, yeah, originally there was no mention of him having a second head, but it was sorted out in the end

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Douglas Adams did say that the books do flayly contradict each other.

I know the plot of the 3rd and 5th book definately do not make sense when put together, as does the 4th.

Anything beyond the second book does not make logical sense, as some of the books were based on the radio series and some written later.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

ghoststranger
7 posts
Location: Cardiff during term time, Dorset (England) during ...

Posted:
I'll actually cry if Arthur Dent isn't still English. It doesn't really matter where they film it, because most of it is set on various space ships and other planets, but Arthur MUST be English!
And Zaphod had better have two heads...grrr
Douglas Adams always said that there were five books in his 'trilogy' (lol) so I don't think that really means anything.
I really like the fifth book. It just has the perfect ending! It's *just* what should happen to poor Arthur!

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Arthur is english umm its an english actor (hes in The Office and Love Actually).
But the original arthur was very dull (as he should have been) but the new actor will liven it up (which he shouldnt).

And Zaphod does have 2 heads, watch the trailer wink

What's the 5th book? The "trilogy" is made up of 4 parts (i googled it)

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Flame Boy

Arthur is english umm its an english actor (hes in The Office and Love Actually).
But the original arthur was very dull (as he should have been) but the new actor will liven it up (which he shouldnt).

And Zaphod does have 2 heads, watch the trailer wink

What's the 5th book? The "trilogy" is made up of 4 parts (i googled it)

yeah! it's tim form the office, i think he might be quite good actually. I only got to see the first 30 seconds or so because the clip cut out, but it all looks pretty groovy to me! it didn't get as far as zaphod so i couldn't count his heads... but he is meant to have two.

the trilogy is a trilogy of four parts flame boy, but it is also a trilogy of five parts as there is another book called "Mostly Harmless" that was written about hitchhikers guide but later and so i think most people have ignored it... it's a while since i read it myself but i vaguely recall it's quite far removed from the original set of characters (can anyone verify this for me...? is it about arthur and his son/daughter can't remember which...?) which is possibly why some folk don't count it as part of the trilogy...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
From the Front of the 5th book:

Written by:

the fifth book in the increasingly inaccurately named Hitch hiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy

The books are nowhere neer as good as the radio play.

I don't think it looks very good from the trailer. I think it'll loose all of DNA's dry wit and turn it in to something as far from the radio play as the last film was.

funky_hatseating apples with chopsticks can be rather difficult
167 posts

Posted:
i love those books theyre so good..
yeah "mostly Harmless" is about Arthur and his daughter who he never knew he had, parallel universes, and generally a lot of confusion... for the reader as well! mind you i havent read it in a few years or so.
Theres another new book compiled of bit and pieces Douglas Adams was in the middle of writing when he died. The title has the word 'salmon' in it but ive forgottern the rest. It came out about a year ago.

funky_hatseating apples with chopsticks can be rather difficult
167 posts

Posted:
oh and the movie better be good.. i'll be so PEEVED if it isnt!!!!!! frown eek

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
It was "the salmon of doubt"

It's just bits taken from his mac after he died and a bit of a dirk gently book. Well worth a read, it's got some amazing stuff in it including:
https://www.biota.org/people/douglasadams/

but there isn't much about hitch hikers

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I have a rule that I don't go to see films of books I've loved because more often than not the film ruins it and I spend the whole time in the cinema picking hold in it and getting flustrated. I can only think of one Film of a book I've loved that I think did the book justice and thats To Kill a Mocking bird - Harper Lee. IMO the film is never as good as your own imagination.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
mostly harmless was really wierd. seriously, it was worse than life the universe and everything. a bit tedious at times, too. its mostly about arthur and his daughter, but ford plays a large part in it too. trillian as we know her barely makes an entrance, but a different version of her features in some parts. zaphod doesn't appear at all. the salmon of doubt is mostly interveiws and essays with douglas adams, i read a few of them. if that movie is bad i shall be hopping mad....

-James

1,643 posts

Posted:
see on my copy it has "the fifth book in the increasingly inaccurately named Hitch hiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy" too but, if you look at the box set type things they do in bookshops, they don't tend to include it...

generally i agree with skully the film is never as good as the book... but sometimes if you can detach yourself from the book and watch the film without referring to every detail of the book then it's really not necessarily that bad - depending on the quality of the filmmaking itself of course... other books simply don't work for films. fantasy's always going to be difficult because if things don't actually exist for reference, everyone's going to have a slightly different image... for instance i don't remember anything in the book that suggests Ford isn't black, and who knows what the vogons look like... there's not much you can tell from the trailer methinks, i'd really need to see the whole film

but do you know what's really is hacking me off at the moment - and this has nothing to do with hitchhikers at all, it's the winnie the pooh in fact - disney have visualised a heffalump for their new movie!! Heffalumps don't exist!! pooh and piglet imagine they exist!! and no one know what it looks like!! besides, it's far too cutesy... Anyway after that random tangent, i shall forever hold my peace on the subject of heffalumps...

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
The moment Disney got their hands on Pooh the wrecked it. They added gofers and other such rubbish......... don't get me started on the evils of disney!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
And that's what they'll have done to HHGTTG - Disneyfied and Americanised it. The beauty of the books and radio play AND TV version is the sheer Britishness of them - they're not slick and clever but quirky and gently odd ball (apart from intergalactic Gargleblasters of course ubbloco ).

This looks like it's going to play on the special effects not the dialogue and social comment - Arthur Dent's well cast, but I don't hold out much hope for the rest of it. Don't think I'll be busting a gut to go see it - must dust off my copy and re-read it tho, tho I think someone 'borrowed' Restaurant frown

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
I could only think of one good movie that Disney made recently and that was Pirates of the Caribbean. Or should I say that Johnny Depp made it a good movie and Disney just claimed profits. :loco

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
so if this does well, are they going to do a dirk gently's holistic detective agency series too? that I would not only like to see, but I think I would appreciate a movie interpretation of that far more than the hitchhiker's guide.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

1,643 posts

Posted:
wow, methinks you'd need a director with really good visual mind and a bloody good CGI department for dirk gently... even more so than hitchhikers... though if they could pull it off, it would be great...

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
So I've just seen the movie...about 1/8 of it was the same as the book, but it was a lot of fun. They took out a lot of my favorite parts, sadly. But part of the beuty of the story is that it's always changing-the book has a different plot than the radio, and the later books changed aspects of it as well, and there was the original TV version (look for a cameo by the original Marvin!), which was different as well, and there's no doubt that Douglas' movie script had changes as well. The best character in the movie is Zaphod- it's pretty much a dead on Bush impression, and he is so hilarious! I thought the guide was very well done, too. And the opening sequence has the most hilarious song!
Have fun if you see it!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i'm seeing it on thursday, soo far away...........

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Page: