Forums > Social Discussion > Past Life Regression & Vision Quests - anyone done it?

Login/Join to Participate

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
An opportunity for me to have a past life regression session is currently appearing from the ether. I've been thinking about it for a couple of months, and was delighted to find a mini-essay on the subject written by an acquaintence on another forum this morning.

I'm curious if anyone else here has done it and what their thoughts on it are. My main concern is that my ego has such a strong hold over me that I will see what I want to see - celtic high priestess or arabian princess or something equally cliched.

The healer who does these regressions is a shaman and also guides people in a Vision Quest. I'm now very interested in this also. The concept of ritual and ceremony is rarely lost on me, and fasting/meditating for extensive periods has also been of interest

Written by:

What Happens at the Vision Quest?
Friday
Friday's session will cover Ancient Shamanic Teachings that enable us to use our personal powers to bring about profound change in our lives: how to use your mind to expand your field of personal energy and influence, and the use of the Shaman's drum and rattle. You will also learn how to get in touch with your animal spirit totems and to increase the power of your prayers and dreams. To "speak" to the spirits of nature and to receive advice and guidance. You will be given the "Principles to the Game of Life", a drum ceremony will conclude the session.

Friday Afternoon
The participants will be taken to their personal "power place" to begin their quest for enlightenment in solitude amongst nature. Throughout Friday night, Saturday, and on to early Sunday afternoon, situated within their power circles, participants will endeavour to stay awake, say prayers, do ceremony, journey work, and be available for answers and visions.

Sunday
The final gathering will end with a drum ceremony. A light meal together will conclude the retreat. You can then go back to your own world and pursue your dreams.

Anyone been there, done that?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

snorkmember
52 posts

Posted:
I think hypnotic suggestion is a.. not a risk, but something to keep in mind with this kind of stuff.

Brammember
28 posts

Posted:
I cant say that I have personally gone on a vision quest guided by a shaman. But unless you are prepared to go for close to a week with no food or sleep, then you will need to take hallucinogenic fungi, cacti, or some sort of DMT or 5-MEO DMT containing drink to induce visions. Then on top of it, they must be taken in a proper environment to induce the visions that you want. Chances are the shaman that is teaching these courses cheats when hes on his own and uses a hallucinogen. A good place to go for more info, though you may already know of it, is erowood.com

Its 4:19, do you know where your lighter is?

Never trust someone who says never trust a hippy!!!

When you do business with a Christian, get it in writing.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
www.erowid.org

wink

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by:

But unless you are prepared to go for close to a week with no food or sleep, then you will need to take hallucinogenic fungi, cacti, or some sort of DMT or 5-MEO DMT containing drink to induce visions

ohhh I dont agree with that at all... this is a spirit quest, its not about the use of drugs to get the desired result. If you are connected to your guides then they will bring you the visions that you need for your spirit growth and development, no matter how long you have fasted/slept for.
I have had visions after meditating for 20 mins, I dont need drugs.

Go the natural way, its a much nicer vision. (and yes I have had experiences both ways) hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
OOH IM FACINATED BY IT ALL ALSO, BUT THEN I WONDER BECAUSE IM SO FACINATED AND HAVE KINDA DAYDREAMED ABOUT VARIOUS THINGS (and bugger im in caps again!!) will that affect what i see as past lives, something along the lines of your subconsious and concious mixing if that makes sence. but then i think...what the hey! surely its a cool experience?!?! i have had readings from various tarot readers and clarvoyants (sp?) and they have all helped me, and you get a little buzz when things happend that they have predicted biggrin

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I read past lives for people, and help them find their own, acting as a guide. You don't need a weekend, starvation or mind altering drugs for that. You don't even need to sweat (for those of American Native paths).

Vision Quests are different though. They don't always relate to a linear passage of time, or to time at all, or reality for that matter.

They are to help you find your inner strength, seek answers within your own life, connect with your personal path and make contact with spirits to help guide you on that path.

Have you read the book "Quest" by Denise Linn? It is interesting and might give you more information.
I have it here if you want to borrow it. I don't know if it would get to you in time, but the offer is still there.

If you do this you will need to prepare yourself for it. To simply walk in off the street and do this really doesn't work as well as if you watch what you eat the week before (focus on optimum energy with least amount of toxins), work on clearing your mind of stresses and worries and then show up for it.

I think these things are much akin to meditation, prayer, hypnosis, any form of science or religious journeys, etc... They only truly work for those who have an open mind and alot of trust and a *strong* respect for what you are doing and the culture it comes from.

Best of luck! Hope this helps a little.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Brammember
28 posts

Posted:
I was not aware of anyone managing to induce visions on thier own unless you have somehow managed to make your body produce DMT without dying or being born. Do not get me wrong in saying that what you are saying is BS, its just I have never heard of that before, but I totally believe that there is the possibility for occurances such as this. I hope I haven't offended any of you guys, as that was not the intent.

Its 4:19, do you know where your lighter is?

Never trust someone who says never trust a hippy!!!

When you do business with a Christian, get it in writing.

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
Someone tried to read a past life on me, and even tried a "past life" regression. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not sure what that's supposed to mean, to be honest.

I've tried some quests as well, but those don't seem to work in the same way for me. I'm willing to admit I'm weird *looks at avitar*, but for some reason, it doesn't do the same things for me.

Now I've had some luck with techniques to flesh animal aspects out of myself, a sort of personal shamanic thing, but that's another story. There's a reason there's a cat & dog paw inked on my body.

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi flash, I did past life regression with Dr. Fu at confest a couple of times. He was really excellent, and used hypnosis to help us discover our past lives. I would suggest this is where you would be likely to encounter your celtic high priestess or arabian princess lives. It is interesting to note that no one seems to have ever been a peasant or labourer wink

The ego thing is something I would associate with satori enlightment, and perhaps the shaman will help you reach this state. Read the stuff at Erowid.

As far as what is natural and what isn’t. Then I don’t think we are talking about the instant zen of the 60’s here. The use of sacred plants by shamans, and the quest for spirituality goes back to the dawn of time.

Just some thoughts smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
stone the point I am trying to make is that you dont NEED drugs to have a spiritual experince. This is contrary to what sprout is posting.
If you are in touch with spirit why would you need the drugs anyway?

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I hear what you are saying Valura, and I don’t want to hijack this thread with another debate. But I’m not sure what you mean when you said [quote} If you are connected to your guides then they will bring you the visions that you need for your spirit growth and development, no matter how long you have fasted/slept for. I have had visions after meditating for 20 mins, I dont need drugs.[/quote}

Like, are you referring to the guides that come to you when you are meditating or the guide who is instructing you while you do the meditation session?

If it’s the former then I would suggest you have a rare talent. If the later, then I would suggest your guide may have used sacred plants, and the visions may be transferred to the pupil.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by:

If it’s the former then I would suggest you have a rare talent

pretty much. wink
I am clairvoyant/audient/sentinant.. I have had brain surgery and I have abilities since then.
To answer your question no I am not being guided by a teacher, only spirit. biggrin