SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I have searched with no luck...

This is one for the site admins out there; does anyone know of a very simple PHP/MySQL forum that supports themes/skins, is valid XHTML/CSS2 (depending on skin) and can be integrated in to a site easily?

I have Googled for it, but I would really like some first hand experience.

Remember I need simple. phpBB and the like are a bit over the top at the moment

Thanks
hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
not off the top of my head, but if small is what you want, you may find it easier to write your own (PHP+MySQL was practically made for bodging things like that). You can nick another project's skins/design (provided it's open source) if you're not interested in/have time for design.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey Sym,

sorry i cant help ours runs on a "simple" phpBB but we had loads of porblems skinning it to match the site.........

I guess this is for PLAY so your after summit a little smaller.......

Give me a bit and ill go ask a man in the know......

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys.

Due to server confusion i'm having to move the PLAY site from the windows server to a unix server. I know _some_ PHP/MySQL but not enough to make a whole forum in the 3 weeks I have before my windows server dies! (Not with the whold admin/mods/paging etc that goes with a good forum)

I've installed phpBB on the new server now and it seems ok, but hard to skin. The PLAY design isn't hard to code though so I might be able to do it. After all, I got Snitz to work with it, and thats about the worst forum for skining I've ever seen!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
there's asp mod available for apache here, but have never used it/don't know how mature it is.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Thanks, but I don't have SSL/root access to the server as it's on a shared server.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
a nice simple xoops mod newBB im not sure if it runs stand alone though, but xoops is a simple point and click install with very little configuration... very easy to skin and might save you less time than any thing else by setting up PLAY as a xoops site.
im pretty familular with xoops so if you need any help with it give me a shout.

good luck.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey Sym

been chatting to the guy with the brains behind our site, hes got a few suggstions that went way over my head, but i see you have other possibilities to try now........

Anyhow - he said if you need any help at all drop him a mail

greenmilk@soton-firespinning.co.uk

Good luck

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Thanks strugz!

I'm checking out xoops at the moment, but work keeps getting in the way!

I might take up the email offer anyway if xoops doesn't do what I want.

PK, have you ever used drupal? I was thinking about using that as a backend but it's designed for larger sites than PLAY. Maybe I'll use it for the PLAY 2006 site ;-) !

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
nope never used drupal mate, but i spent many hours looking at different packages and i would swear by xoops, soren from poitoy uses xoops now a lot too as he is a webdesigner by trade.

good luck with it all mate.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Thanks again Pk, I was put off by xoops at first because it still used tables for layout - a sign to me that it's behind the times in other areas. I'll keep on with it though seeing as you seem to rate it highly. It'll take a while to get it XHTML/CSS layed out though!

*off to waid though code...fun!*

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
you can runn full css themes on xoops dude!".... i know you like those!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I know you can, I'm trying to hack the play design around it at the moment. I was commenting on the fact the the default design isn't a CSS layout. but that doesn't matter, there coders not designers.

It's a very cool system, thanks mate! Looks like it's going to make up the final PLAY site.