Forums > Help! > Avatar size restrictions? (as in bytes space)

Login/Join to Participate

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
I'm working on an animated gif for the HoP stuff here, as much as I like my puppy juggle. In therory, it'll look like one I uploaded to the gallery, but a lot smaller and tighter.

Problem is it's about 141 K. What's the size restriction on the images for avatars? I'll work my way under it, I promise!

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Maximum size is 80x 80 pixels, not sure of the Kb limit.

Mine is 32 Kb, and I seem to recall that it was close to the maximum allowed, but I couldbe wrong.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Whether its allowed or not, 141 K is far too big for people on dialup. Try decreasing the amount of frames (if you speed it up no one will notice) and colors.

It only has a resolution of 72x72 atm, despite being 100x100, so try reducing it for 72x72 and set a global color map of 32. That alone reduces it to 125k and doesn't change the quality that much

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
*mind boggles, brain melts*

I'm still working on the program, but I'll TRY. "Gimp" isn't the most technical program in the world.

**sigh** I'm going to be buying Photoshop someday, aren't I?

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
A while ago I went through checking avatars and asked everyone to reduce the size of large avatars to a maximum of 10Kb - so use that as a guideline. I'll probably do that again sometime soon.

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
Gotcha. I'll keep the jugglepup then....

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
I loaded mine up the other day and I was allowed 7k . . .

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

ok so i made it smaller in photo shop .... like thumbnail size... but it still dosen't seem to be a small ennough file.... how do I make the file small without it looking as small as like a pin head? confused

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Your pic is only 1.9k Pixie, it should be uploadable for an avatar.........

The limit is 7k like MAtt said, so you shouldnt have a problem at all?

smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
The reason may be that its over 80 x 80 pix. Its longer than it is wide so the length maybe over 80 pix.

If you go to my Gallery Moon Pixie I shrunk you 2 of your photos to Avatar size. Neither are the one you have in this thread because I either had to cut it down to a square.....which either lost your pretty face or half of the pretty ball or stretch it and it made you look really odd! if you have a different photo you want used just say and I'll shrink it for you if I can hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

3,492 posts

Posted:
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww biggrin Thanks ya sweety!!!

.:*runs off to gallery*:.

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

3,492 posts

Posted:
biggrin .:*BIG GRINS*:. biggrin Thanks skulduggery hug hug hug

so is the one I posted up there with the crystal ball in it the wrong dimentions to make an avatar??? confused I'm not a very clever pixie with all this kinda stuff

Thanks lovely!!! biggrin

3,492 posts

Posted:
eek Matty B .... your avatar looks like you got your head in the sand! hehehe ubblol .....or do you? eek

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Moon pixie avatars on this site have to be 80 pixels by 80 pixels or smaller. The only problem with the one with the crystal ball is it is longer than it it wide so it would have to only be 80 pix long and that shrinks the width so small you do indeed end up looking like a pin head. If I shrink it without the picture keeping to the shape it is now i.e. I make the width 80 and the length 80 it stretches your face all wide and the ball out of shape and it just looks odd. I'll do it if you like and put it up in my gallery for you to see what I mean.

[edit]

I did it and you can see for yourself what I mean. Feel free to use any of them if you like them. Just right click and save them. ubbrollsmile

3,492 posts

Posted:
WOW thankyou SO much!!! biggrin hug biggrin

one thing that puzzled me a lot though... I had a go at uploading the crystal ball pixie shunk one (the one that isn't sqare) as my avatar but instead of showing that photo it squished the hand flame one into a skinny shape.... wierd... confused

so I changed it back to the unsqished one... I like the hand flame one anyways smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm..... not sure about that one hun sorry. You could maybe try deleting one first and them clearing your browers cookies file and then upload the other one. That may not work though. I can manipulate all the picture you want but when it comes to geeky tech stuff I'm completely lost. ubblol

OI! Geeky boys/girls its your turn to help now tongue ubblol

hug

Deviant_thinkingmember
36 posts

Posted:
im soo sad, i found a badass little graemlin that is 7,025 bytes, in other words im 25 bites too much.

its a lil bruce lee tribute... in a smiley.

im sickened =/ is there any way of making a gif smaller?

i see people with higher post counts having bigger avatars, eg
strugz has one that's 20 kb and onewheeldave has one that's 32 kb

now i still have newbie status but i wanna put this badass mofo up, what post count do i need before i can put it up?

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the night,
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Is it animated?

If it's not then I'll have a go at compressing it a bit more if you email it to me, my email address is in my profile I think.

As to post counts increasing avatar file size, it doesn't work like that. Regardless of post count, the avatar size stays the same unless you host it yourself, then you can make one as large as you like because it's your bandwidth (although people on dial-up might get angry if you make a really huge one wink ).

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Can someone tell em how to compress a gif, i need it below 150kb for something and its currently 250 something, i dont want to shorten its length though

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
decrease the physical dimensions or the number of colours. If this is something you've made yourself from scratch, try editting the design of it with compression in mind, ie no big movements between frames.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: Deviant_thinking

i see people with higher post counts having bigger avatars, eg
strugz has one that's 20 kb and onewheeldave has one that's 32 kb

..but some are worth the download - i love strug's avatar! it's classier than some other big ones, like a classy classy thing!
plz email me your avatar and i'll reduce it to fit 80x80 px / 10k!

Elke, if you want, pass me the image you want to convert to a 80 x 80 avatar, and i can compose it to be the right aspect ratio/size for purdeey pixie avatar goodness.

and stuff.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always