Forums > Help! > My son wants to learn aswell.....

Login/Join to Participate

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Hey evry1. I'm just getting into the poi's but my son wants to learn the staff. (yes ive done a search)
Does anyone know what the best tool to teach him with? I'm thinking possibly the short staff but am unsure. (He's a tall 9 yo)
Any help would be great. smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Depends what kind of staff he wants to do (short or long, single or doubles).

The same guidelines apply to 9 year olds that apply to adults (although personally i wouldn't recomend fire!).

For single staff i personally like ones that are 1 foot shorter than my height, but that's just me. I can't see a tall 9 year old being any different to a short 20 year old

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
A short broom handle. Wrap bubble wrap round the ends and secure with multiple rubber bands for safety.

Take advantage of the staffs ability to be spun slowly, that way he'll understnad the moves better and it'll result in less pain if a move goes wrong.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Broom handles all the way!

For a start they are very cheap compared to any "fire / glow" staff.

n little people can change there mind aboutahat they want to do, if he "sticks at it" then later some money spent on a better staff could be looked into smile

Also he can cut to anylength he wants but for a single staff id say go for about 120cm if hes only ickle.

Foot to under arm pit would be an average lenght id say ubbrollsmile

Oh - and make him practice outside - unless you have no windows and an ubundace of lightbulbs wink

smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Thank for the ideas. Guess its time to cut the brrom handle down to size

Are you up for it?
wink;)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
If you don't want to cut a broom handle, and if he wants to learn to finger spin, go to your local home center or hardware store, take him with you, and pick out a dowel rod. These can be cut to size, AND you can have him test the width for finger spinning to make certain it is comfortable.

Instead of bubblewrap I have opted for tennis balls cut open, slid over the end and wrapped in duct tape, and I have also purchased cheap pillow foam from my local craft store, stuffed it into a sock, shoved the sock over the end and duct taped it as well.

Somewhere around here are photos of my son spinning an LED staff when he was 5. He has since grown out of the urge to spin unless he is showing off for friends (he is almost 10), but he got pretty good before then.

Hope this helps.
Take care and enjoy the time with him!
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK