Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
Can any one give me some pointers on circular breathing, i tried my new Didgeridoo out last night and it ROCKED, but i had to keep stopping to take a breath, any tips?????
I have never been able to do it before so an idiots guide would be great!!!!!
Thanks And LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.

[ 04 September 2002, 20:35: Message edited by: Trippy Hippy ]

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I love my dij. I got it in trade last year at Burning Man.
I can't do circular breathing. I was told it takes 25 years to learn, which means I'll probably not make it.
The trick is to expell air from your mouth and throat while you are inhaling through your nose.
Here's one way to practice: sit down with a glass of water and a straw. Breathe in through your nose while blowing bubbles through the straw. Relax, watch the bubbles, strive for a constant stream of bubbles.
Good luck.

Maximus

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Ok, I can't actually do it with my didge yet, mainly due to a lack of practising, but this is what I gleaned from the internet (the source of all my knowledge ).
Puff out your cheeks and pull your tongue towards the back of your mouth before you start, when you get low on air, use your tongue and cheeks to push air out of your mouth while breathing in through your nose.
It looks really stupid, but grab a straw and a cup of water and try to keep a constant stream of bubbles going, then gradually work up through bigger straws/tubes to the didge.

Hope that helps, I'll try to find the site I got that from, it explains it much better than me

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
One method that i wastaught to help you get started on circular breating was to get a glass of water and a nice big (outdoors) place to stand. Drink some water but don't swallow it and the trick is to spit a stream of water out (like a fountain) whilst you're taking in air through your nose. Then you can build up for the bubbles thing, it's that you need a LOT of air for a digeridoo, so it'd take ages to build up to it.

Cheers
Stu (The Spin Doctor)

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I couldn't find the page I was looking for, but I did find this one, which has got a whole load of stuff that might help:

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

just a case of puffing your cheeks out as you play, then when you breath in through the nose your cheeks relax and expel the resevoir of air in you mouth. the crutial thing is to seperate your lungs from your mouth, so that as you breath in through the nose you dont suck in the air kept in your mouth. this can be conciously done with the back of your tounge but its better just to relax the mouth and concetrate on air comming direct from the nose. The body know what to do, if you let it.

2.35 euros

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I have known a few dijj players in my day. So, it turns out that if you can circular breathe out, you can also circular breathe IN...

I know a guy (who shall remain nameless) who is a college athlete and he plays the dijj. He also smokes pot from time to time. He can't smoke while on season because it messes up his lungs and they drug test him.

The story is that some of my friends went to his last race of the year and they brought a bong and some herb with them. After the race, he rode home with them and so they busted out the bong and herb, packed him a bowl, and handed him the piece.

The bong started bubbling...and kept bubbling...and kept bubbling...and kept bubbling...until the entire bowl was gone. Mind you, this bowl was enough to get four or five people good and baked. He'd been basically circular breathing inwards on the bong. They say that the mushroom cloud he let loose after this truly monster hit was legendary.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
are you shure he dosnt just have prodigious lungpower? I normally waste my bongs inna onner due to years of voice training.... besides, i cant really see how you would curcular in the way, did he have smoke commin out his nose?

n

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
An interesting way to practice is to take a mouth full of smoke (preferably from a joint) billow your cheeks and then use your cheeks/tongue to expel the smoke slowly while breathing in through your nose.

You should have a trail of smoke leaving your mouth and entering your nose and I find an interesting side effect is it is a good way to get very stoned very quickly

Mark P