Page: ...
MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I recently got my grubby little hands on a unicycle. Woo, except I'm rather rubbish. So far I have:

fallen off lots

fallen off lots more and worked out that if I grab the seat, the uni doesn't clatter to the ground

managed ride forward somewhat unsteadily, furthest being about 15 metres

managed twice to stop and ride backwards for a couple of revolutions before falling off

idle (more by luck than anything else) for a couple of seconds

bruised my shins lots trying to mount the damn thing

fallen off some more

learnt that a 2 x 1.5 metre patio isn't the ideal place to try to learn

Given the lack of space (meaning I can't really practice going forwards smoothly, as I run out of space before I get going), what is best to attempt to learn next? Idling or mounting?

J

EDITED_BY: MrConfused (1110309471)

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
yeh, im definetly going to have to start going to the regular unicycle gathering in melbourne once i get back, see if anyone plays hockey

thanks mr pk smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: McAlpine

One-foot peddling... now there's something to try out!

rolleyes tried that with your goofy foot yet? ... now thats just challenging... every thing i try with my bad foot turns out with me on the floor ubblol

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Is it usual to get 1 foot idling before 1 foot riding? seems to be a backwards way of doing things. I'll try with the goofy foot this weekend, when I strap on my shinguards!

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I wanna make a new frame....

seems as i work in mega yacht construction... tonnes of stainless tubes knocking around... can polish myself as i'm a polisher .. just an idea though, when you do my job you gotta think about some thing otherwise you become crazy... my job is what ipods were invented for.... never ending music to drown out the noise of machinery. smile

clubitnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
if you keep your back strat that might help.

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
I found traffic lights on the way to work helped me learn to idle, I got sick of having to slow down on the way to them when antisipating a change.

I finally got a little bit of one footed idling down, not constants but kick offs at the top of my idles so I'm chuffed!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
PK, dja fancy polishing my tube? wink ubblol

On the other hand (if you will excuse the pun).. the last time I went on my unicycle.. it was a bit rubbish as I hadnt practised for ages. frown

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
what type of tube wink ?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
What-a type-a tube-a dja reckon-a? (Ive been practising my Italian dontcha know)

By the way, my pen is huge. wink

offtopic

spank spank spank

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ma dovè ?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Your bird? confused

What about her? wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
This link is relevant to unicycling.

ubbrollsmile

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Got to test out a QU-AX last night at the carnival... i'm assuming that it was a pretty basic model as it didn't have the 3pc crank and hub setup that QU-AX are good at making.

The frame seemed just like my ONZA or copy thereof.

Got to admit, it rode badly, maybe because it wasn't set up like mine... ie seat was too high, cheap 3pc set up made it wobbly and unsafe or so it seemed. rolleyes

oh well at least i rode a unicycle for the first time in ages! ubbrollsmile

dusted off my juggling balls and poi last night too rolleyes for a jugglers meeting from g.org at the carnival. ubbrollsmile

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Day One retraining... (15 minute session at work.)

Mount Standard.... Yup!
Mount Side.... Yup!
Mount Jumping.... Yup!
Ride Forwards.... Yup!
Ride Backwards.... Yup!
Ride One Foot.... Nope!
360 Unispin... Nope!

Problems..... tired legs... body too muscular these days to stay nimble and energetic, i personally blame the job!.

Well left my uni at work so maybe i will keep playing during my dinner break.

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
PK, thats great!

When did you last ride actively? Could you ride 1 footed and 360 unispin previously?

I'm still working on 180 unispin. my 1 footing has passed the 10m mark, but that still doesn't happen too often.

As far as the Qu-ax goes: that must be a really old model you tested. I think all their current models, including the "standards" have 3 piece hub/cranks.

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
yeah i could previously.. but that was some what over a year and a half ago now!

As i'd said in a previous post.. i was some where in level 6.

I have to admit.. after just ten mins going back and forth at work, my legs just wanted to give up.. i need to get a little more active, i'd like to buy a bike but ... have you seen the price of them these days? that way i could ride to work in the summer, as its only 6km.

rainbowgirlmember
70 posts

Posted:
Ha-ha, discovered a unicycling thread (amazing what you can do to avoid work). wavehello

Been trying to learn for a while now - still pretty much useless (can only get on if i hold on to something and i dont so much turn as veer randomly) but i think its great fun - but i looked at that list of levels of stuff to do and oh. my. god. i have a long way to go!

One thing i do know though - a lot of the posture is very much the same as the horse riding 'classical seat', its about keeping you pelvis tilted the right way and a straight line from pedal (or stirrup) up the side of you going through your heels, hips, ears etc - i dont know if this helps anyone, but i felt like sharing

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars

"To alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems!"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: rainbowgirl

Ha-ha, discovered a unicycling thread (amazing what you can do to avoid work). wavehello

Been trying to learn for a while now - still pretty much useless (can only get on if i hold on to something and i dont so much turn as veer randomly) but i think its great fun - but i looked at that list of levels of stuff to do and oh. my. god. i have a long way to go!

One thing i do know though - a lot of the posture is very much the same as the horse riding 'classical seat', its about keeping you pelvis tilted the right way and a straight line from pedal (or stirrup) up the side of you going through your heels, hips, ears etc - i dont know if this helps anyone, but i felt like sharing

nail in the coffin there chick! hug like riding a horse... i havn't rode one of those in years... my onza bucks like a buckeroo too wink or is that me just falling off too much. confused

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

I have to admit.. after just ten mins going back and forth at work, my legs just wanted to give up.. i need to get a little more active, i'd like to buy a bike but ... have you seen the price of them these days? that way i could ride to work in the summer, as its only 6km.

A 24x3 muni or a 29-er would be just about ideal for a 6km commute smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

rainbowgirlmember
70 posts

Posted:
theres no such thing as falling off too much (whether its unicycles, horses or anything else) all that matters is how hurt you get (physically or your pride) and whether or not you get back on for another go!

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars

"To alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems!"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i was joking there rainbow wink ...

To be honest i dont think that i have ever fallen, not on my bum or to the ground... i've bailed a hell of a lot, but then i wouldn't count that as falling.

The only time i've been close to falling was dropping 4 foot to the ground on a trails course at the BJC in 2004, instead my left foot took all of the impact and i tore the tendons in my foot... which hurt like hell for ages.

Dave a 29" would be good, 6k there and 6k back... nice round trip, yet i do this twice a day so thats 24k X 5 days = 120km + sat morning so that makes a total of 132km a week just going to work and back.... that would be some going even on a 29"er, i was thinking about this also as an ecological benefit too, i simply refuse to take my7 driving test because i don't want the expense of a car, but i have a 50cc Vespa that i uses to get to work on, EURO 2 cat type so fairly economical .. i'm concious about air pollution and if i could cut down on the amount that i make, however little from my vespina would make me a lot happier.
( public transport is out of the question as there are poor services where i live. )

Just my theory... well thoughts currently.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Still, 132km a week is still only 6km a day smile

To me, that distance is one where a muni is defintitly a viable alternative to a bike.

Admittedly, lacking a freewheel, it'll use more energy than a bike, but, for a unicyclist, it's probably fair to say that it'll be a more enjoyable communte on a uni.

Presumably the weathers pretty good where you are?- there's nothing better than cruising on a big wheel uni in the hot sun smile

Plus the very real advantage of being much easier to maintain and less likley to suffer mechanical issues.

Then hang on to the Vespa for when the weathers a bit duff, or you feel like a rest.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
24k a day! ... its only 6k just to my workplace then if i'm to come home for dinner then back to work again and then back home in the evening.

Possibilities with a muni would be that i can cut through the houses opposite my house, go down the lane and take the dirt track... and to be truthfully honest.... the main road out of here is dangerous!, rush hour traffic would be a nightmare on a unicycle.

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...p;rd=1&rd=1

I bought this the other day has anyone ever had a go on one or know any trix I can learn?

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
I suppose you could try a wheelie ubblol

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Been doing no handed manuals as my bmx riding buddies call them or basically riding a unicycle.

Its wierd because you can unlock the back end so it twists independantly

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Wow forgot about this thread,

slowly getting the hang of the uni (although i have been neglecting it badly recently) Can juggle 4 balls now whilst riding so feeling more confident. Have tried a stair or two with fairly good success but havent tried anything major yet smile

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i'm off to get my uni next month from Italy...

might be time to get back in the saddle.

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Cool! What type of riding do you do?

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Up to my old bumping tricks again.... tongue

Hope some of you Unicyclists are still around. I was wondering whether or not you guys'n'gals could clarify something for me.

Gliding on a unicycle - dangerous, but fun, and at times effective.

I just can't get my head round it. All the videos I've found are too fast and poorly explained (for a dummy like me to understand anyway ubbloco) and reading lumps of text has helped paint a picture in my mind - but there's a good chance the pictures wrong. If you catch my drift.*

From what I understand, one foot is pulled up and sits on the axle* of the unicycle, and the other foot is somewhere on the wheel for balance.

I was wondering if someone could tell me where that 'somewhere' is - as at the moment My leg is uncomfortably draping on the front of the wheel - which effects it's rotating somewhat!!

I really want to nail this - as people are always telling me it's impossible to 'glide' on a unicycle, and I've never been able to show them otherwise.

Ta muchly. wink

* Open a window
* Probably not the correct terminology... is it called a crown?

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Page: ...