Page: ...
MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I recently got my grubby little hands on a unicycle. Woo, except I'm rather rubbish. So far I have:

fallen off lots

fallen off lots more and worked out that if I grab the seat, the uni doesn't clatter to the ground

managed ride forward somewhat unsteadily, furthest being about 15 metres

managed twice to stop and ride backwards for a couple of revolutions before falling off

idle (more by luck than anything else) for a couple of seconds

bruised my shins lots trying to mount the damn thing

fallen off some more

learnt that a 2 x 1.5 metre patio isn't the ideal place to try to learn

Given the lack of space (meaning I can't really practice going forwards smoothly, as I run out of space before I get going), what is best to attempt to learn next? Idling or mounting?

J

EDITED_BY: MrConfused (1110309471)

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Can anyone give me some advice on unicycle brands and stockists?

I was all lined up to get a 24" Dodger from unicycle.uk.com but they're sold out. They won't be back in stock till late September and I'm too impatient to wait till then!

I'm having trouble finding any other Dodger stockists (all links seem to lead to unicycle.uk.com) and don't really know anything about the reliability etc of other brands. I was hoping to lay my hands on a uni that won't break the bank as well.

A shop round the corner from me has an Ammaco 24" - is that likely to be a reasonable machine?

Thanks ubbrollsmile

Woodomannewbie
6 posts

Posted:
bought my Unicycle 2weeks ago, hadn't been on one before... total practice time before today, mayby at the very most 3hours....

AND TODAY I MANAGED TO RIDE OVER 100Meters!
and almost controlling the direction of it too =)

I couldn't beleve my feet! the sweat ran all over me but I did it... in for a shower and probably out again this evening =)

A new world has opened!

Unicycler, Firestaff spinner, Fireball juggler - all on a amateur level... but I'm (hopefully) getting better every day =)

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
am now starting to get the hang of idling, and can ride for a little with one foot tongue

hug kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Having borrowed a 20" Nimbus off a friend, my housemate and I took it out for the first time tonight and had great fun!

Nowhere near riding unassisted yet but I can go a fair distance now without bailing biggrin

I'm away all weekend (and can't take the uni with me frown ) but at least it'll be something to look forward to when I come back smile

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
aight, so, i made a trip to juggleart this morning. i ended up leaving juggleart with a 5ft Miyata giraffe bounce now.. to freemount it tongue

cheers, pete hug :kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
haha woooo! nice work pete. 5 fts look wikid as.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I'll hopefully be borrowing that from you! wink ubblol

Good luck on riding it! hug

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
you're more than welcome to come have a ride.. if you come pick it up tongue

cheers, riding it isnt too hard. freemounting on the other hand is quite difficult.

cheers, pete hug

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Want me to buy you a step ladder? biggrin

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
bah, ladders are for quitters wink

hug

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Another unicyclist here. getting about 5 m before falling. I am somewhat limited in my learning because:
1) I don't own a uni (borrowing a mates)
2) my only nice learning surface is 6 m long!

My uni is coming in a few weeks time (yay for me!), and hopefully i will gain the courage to go outside into the street (I live oposite the sportfields of a school - if there are no kids or drug dealers, there are joggers, dog walkers and skateboarders help)

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No pete, ladders are for midgets! ubblol

hug2 (in real soon hopefully biggrin )

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Got my 24" uni now and starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere! Today I experimented a bit with letting go of my housemate's arm and at best managed 2 wheel revolutions before panicking. A small start but something to build on tomorrow smile

Woodomannewbie
6 posts

Posted:
I just figured out how to freemount! now I just have to get myself to SIT on the G dammed thingy... my thighs keeps shaking after 30min pracice.

How do I get my body to learn to sit? hmm hmm

Unicycler, Firestaff spinner, Fireball juggler - all on a amateur level... but I'm (hopefully) getting better every day =)

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Good work on the freemounting, I feel like I'm years away from mastering that.

Yeah it's *way* easier on your legs if you sit down and relax a bit... I just told myself over and over 'sit on the seat, sit on the seat, straight back, look ahead, sit on the seat', and now I'm starting to do it automatically... as we all know, with this unicycling malarkey, practice makes perfect wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I found raising the sadle until my leg was totally straight and foot on the pedal really helps.

I kept on putting my weight on my legs when i had the sadle lower down.

ubbrollsmile

Woodomannewbie
6 posts

Posted:
thanx for the tips... after my studentlunch of just noodles... I'll get out and practice!

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Arrrg, dammit! Got my uni today, but have an exam on friday. damn you , temptation! damn you!

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Taking it out and practising could make a nice reward system for completing revision tasks smile

Tonight I went out sans housemate to see what would happen... mainly what happened was I fell off a lot. Having said that, I did do better than I expected to and can get a short distance before I panic and jump off. Anyone got any suggestions for how to make myself stay on it as long as I can instead of jumping before I probably have to?

And WOFT, good luck for your exam smile

Woodomannewbie
6 posts

Posted:
K___ hmmm... don't panic? I got the same problem when learning to freemount, I manage to do it sometimes, but only when I focus on not panicing. That almost resulted in a really dislocated wrist yesterday.. but I was lucky and got away with some minor ache.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
yes! the more weight you put on the saddle the less your legs wibble

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Seat height makes a massive difference! the uni I was borrowing had an extremely short seat (think squatting). On my (brand spanking new "made in Taiwan") uni, the higher seat means more weight on saddle (as Jem says) which means better balance which means less falls which means more time on uni which means more fun which means...*runs out of breathe*...

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Approahing level 1! Yay! I can freemount 1 out of 4 times, dismount gracefully and managed to ride off my 5m strech of bricked backyard onto the lawn. 3m onto the lawn and the grass wins. I need to find a 50m strech of level road. The feeling of progress is a most wonderful feeling,,,

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

Woodomannewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Level 1 almost done here to...
rides more than 50m and can dismount, I dont really now gracefully is the right term, but it ends up in front of me, and I got it under controll...

I manage the free mounting too, but it may be too few successful mounts per try to say that I can do it well.

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Breakthrough! Not panicking is getting there, and I'm starting to be able to go more than a few meters unassisted biggrin Plus, some of the time I can actually deliberately stop and get off instead of just bailing!

The feeling of progress is indeed an amazing one... and btw WOFT, how did your exam go?

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Thanks for asking. The exam was crap, but I can freemount rolleyes If I enjoyed learning for tests as much as I am enjoying learning to uni, I wouldn't have to study!

K - Keep going at it! My main limiting thing was the thought of "falling" off all the time. When I could go a few meters, I realised that always land on my feet when i come off. I got a boost in confidence after that which helped a lot when trying to freemount. Hopefully, I will soon go for my first public outing this week. I am mentally preparing for "where's the other wheel" type comments wink

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
GET IN! Tonight I rode 25m unassisted biggrin I knew it'd feel good but I wasn't prepared for how awesome it feels going along feeling in control ubbrollsmile

That's a good point about realising you always land on your feet - I found that as well and it helped quite a lot. Guess the next thing is consistency and then freemounting... smile

How was the first public outing WOFT?

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Yay for K! You are right - It is an awesome feeling!

I didn't go riding on monday - a sudden explosion of deadlines interupted meangry

It was probably for the better - I can now freemount 1 out of 2. It would be a bit silly having to go back to the "learning tree" each time i wobble ubbrollsmile

I am moving house at the end of this month - The new house has a quiet little side street. And it is flat! Very excited at having more space to learn! Not sure if it has been asked, but who has played poi on a uni (silly, I know)? My mate claims it is impossible...

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the enthusiasm WOFT smile

Hope the moving goes well and the side street turns out to be an ideal riding place.

Unassisted riding is improving gradually though steering still leaves a bit to be desired! Hoping that will come with time, as the rest of it seems to have done. Also starting to idly muse about unihockey - nothing like jumping in at the deep end to force the learning curve!

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
hey guys, i have been ridding for long time but i can now ride down my street (at least 100m) i can rid off curbs, ride up and over bumps and i am very close at bunny hop but i still cant mount lol. anyone got n e tips?

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

Page: ...