nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm after a novel (or preferrably a series of novels) which are set within the world of the Celts, including elements of their religion etc.. I imagine I'm talking about a Fantasy book, really, although I'd be just as happy with Historical fiction.

Not too keen on the dawn of Christianity style approach, although a strong recommendation will certainly change my mind.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Try Marian Zimmer Bradley

The Mists of Avalon is the third book in a series. I think it was released first though. Anywhoo this is a good read.

King Arthur, Queen if the Fairies, Avalon all that jazz

Love is the law.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
if it's historical fiction you're after then go with either Marion Zimmer Bradley or Morgan Llewellyn

MZB's books are all loosely tied to the Arthurian saga and the coming of the Roman Empire to Britain

Morgan Llewellyn is an Irish/Welsh author. all of her books are set in ancient Irish history & legend

books include: Lion of Ireland, Pride of Lions, Finn McCool, the Druids.

Diana L Paxson is another good one, though I've only read 2 of her books, while I've read everything by the other 2 authors and can strongly recommend either/both

happy reading ubbrollsmile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Again, thanks a lot smile

Thoreau

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Try reading the Mabinogion..... "The Mabinogion is an assembly of Welsh Storys that were taken from Two Ancient books called the 'Red Book of Hergest' and the earlier 'The White Book of Rhydderch' . They tell the storys of people in celtic times, some of the stories have been placed from approx 500 BC"

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
oohhhh

I bought that and gave it to a kiwi

never read it though

thanks for the reminder skully

Love is the law.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I read a trilogy called "The Wanderers" by a wonderful Australian author called Caiseal Mór. First book is called The Circle and the Cross. Check out his homepage here

A really nice guy too - I remember I was so awe inspired by the books I sent him an email to say thank you, and he actually replied! smile

Highly recommended.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
O yeah - Mists of Avalon was a labour of love. I didn't like it, to be honest, but was determined to finish it anyway (I have only ever quit on one book before).... Was full of the personal dilemmas of Morgana Le Fay, lots of anti-climaxes and not much momentum. I was disappointed in Morgana - she never really came into her power - kinda like Rand in Wheel of Time series.

The prequal called "The Forest House" was much much better, but perhaps more of a book for females ? Written mostly about the women in the forest house, high priestess life, the rituals of priestesses etc. Recommended.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thumbs up to Morgan Llewellyn! smile
Damn Celts! wink
Patrick the Celtic Badger tongue

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Raymond Feist did a book called Faerie tale that takes in the Sidhe in a modern context. Not really what you want but it was an interesting book.

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

I read a trilogy called "The Wanderers" by a wonderful Australian author called Caiseal Mór.

Caiseal Mór

nice smile

it means big rock in Gaelic

there is a town near where im from named Cashel. In it is the Rock of Cashel. Its a 260 year old cathedral on a big rock hill.

and so i found this

Celtic History and The Rock of Cashel

Love is the law.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
The Rock of Cashel is so awesome. Hore abbey down the bottom of the hill I found even better. A misty mornings walk to a ruin surrounded by mist, glorious. I am so jealous of all the ruins you guys have. redface Narr sent some pics of a ruin they went to spin in and Strugz pics are great too.

The round tower at Cashel and Cormacs chapel is 12th C with lush carvings and lots of pigeon poo. There are two separate Church buildings from different periods a 12th , 13th all joined together on top of a huge rock and 15th C castle to top it off.

Newgrange and Loughcrew in Meath Ireland are fabulous places to go to get the feel of ancient Neolithic sites. You can go into the sites and you can do Loughcrew without the guides and stay as long as you want under the hill. Its well worth a look to appreciate the stone monuments and carvings done by the stone age peoples of the time. By the look of the monuments Loughcrew is still used as a religious place.

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Not so much a celtic historical fiction, but historical fiction nonetheless, was a series i read a while ago, by Jean M Auel (not certain of that spelling), the first book is called the Clan of The Cave Bear, i think.

Very 'dawn of time, cro-magnon mixing with neanderthals'.I loved them, though the fourth book is a little hard to get through.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie