Forums > Social Chat > Spinning no nos and general etiquite

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so i was just reading the insults for doing poi thread which brings up all the naughty things drunk moron spectators do but some spinners have some bad habits to.

during my time in the uk there was only one spinner i met who got under my skin, i wont name names but shall recant what i feel is bad etiquite. so at one of the lovely gatherings i went to i was teaching some contact staff to a friend of mine whom id promised a lesson, part way through this spinners comes and joins in spinning and starts contradicting what im saying and upon trying to demonstrate "the correct way" to do and elbow hand hand elbow roll kept dropping it so i kept on teaching my friend and ignored the other spinner. but being the persistant one that he was he kept at it and when i was demonstrating fishtails he told me that i was doing them wrong ...... now my fishtails arnt perfect and im always looking to learn something new so i asked for a demonstration and he couldnt keep the stick on the back of his hand for half a beat!!! so i showed him again and he was insistant that i was doing them wrong so then he held the staff on the back of his hand and move it in the same path that i had been. at which point i had to put my sticks down and walk away

enthusiasm is one thing but contracting someones teaching who u dont know to someone else who u dont know is a big no no in my book especially when u cant actually do the move

my other naughty spinners pet hate is ppl that dont burn off or spin out away from everyone

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
The nastiest thing that happened to me at a spinning meet was that someone asked to use one of my staves, but then at the end of the session they just walked off with it (or someone did)
This was extra annoying as it was one in a pair of duals, so I had to replace both sticks mad
they were my favs too
ubbcrying

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
That's called stealing.
It's an offense!

You saw him/her walking away and you did nothing?

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
we had people try to steal the staff....
AND one night somebody stole btw 40-100$ in tips frown

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
haha no it wasnt you Tobi. xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Vixen...Did you ever concider that some random guy might see a beautiful girl spinning wink and try to make a move and then think they are way out of their league and try to slink off frown because they didnt have a chance. Not everyone has a move stealing agenda wink but hey you could have been right.

Written by:

enthusiasm is one thing but contracting someones teaching who u dont know to someone else who u dont know is a big no no in my book especially when u cant actually do the move

Ben-Ja-Men

But what IF the guy could do it the move? Would that make a difference to you? Some people are just wasted. Next time ask him to roll a fat one wink Either he will or he'll leave u alone. Both ways you win biggrin

You know, while on the subject of being around different spinners i would like to say "being good sux!" Im good...what...im not allowed to BE good? Or im just not allowed to SAY "IM GOOD!" To bad...

You know, i goto burns and i want to have fun, get smashed, learn some new moves, teach afew moves, watch people, talk. But when i get up and rip, all of a sudden people wont burn, its like they dont think they can compete or something. Common! Its not a freaking competion. It makes me sad, u know, its awsome watching other people, it as fun as performing yourself. So i feel like i cant be myself, i have to hold back so peoples ego's dont get hurt. But if i hold back i dont get what i want out of it, i dont get creative flow.

Paradox? No, i just try to do my thing, have a good time and hope everyone else is also. Its sux being good. But it sux because people judge you just because your good. Like women...u neva know what they want and cant give it to them even IF you knew.

Some times i feel like i should just turn really bad planes and wack myself and fall over.

And stealing just SUX!
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1107906506)

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
ditto

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

agnisattvanewbie
11 posts

Posted:
the fire snobs get under my skin a little.. I have noticed that people who spin are generally good-natured and helpfull. However there is that "upper echelon" (at least in there minds) of spinners who are soooooo freekin leet that unless you are as good or better, they have no reason to even talk to you. Class seperations occur on some level in any group of people but seriously.. I might be mistaken but this art(not poi persay but staff/contact/juggling) has such a direct link to traveling performers and those historically referred to as "lower class" that I have a hard time believing that mentality exists within it, much less that someone would feel justified operating within that mentality....
Sorry a bit long winded.

8) The Gods, adored with brilliant fires. have granted precious wealth to us. So, with bright fires, we pray to thee.
HYMN XXVI. Agni.
From the Hindu sacred text "Rig Veda"

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dragon7

But what IF the guy could do it the move? Would that make a difference to you? Some people are just wasted. Next time ask him to roll a fat one wink Either he will or he'll leave u alone. Both ways you win biggrin

if he could do the move it would have made a difference to me yes depending on how he went about it (bad manners is bad manners regardless) im always keen to learn something new

But when i get up and rip, all of a sudden people wont burn, its like they dont think they can compete or something.

yeah ppl can be quite silly like that, go travelling find some other spinners who are amazing and spin with them u might find u stop spinning and enjoy what htey are doing wink

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
I've been guilty of this crime against spinning, but I hated it when the tables turned and it happened against me, so now I'm trying to correct it.
It's annoying when you are spinning and another person comes up and asks to try, and acts as though they don't know how to do anything. I don't mind handing over the poi and letting them have a shot, but what's annoying is when they act like they're clueless, I give them the intro speach of, 'go slow, spin like this, blah blah blah' and then they start and SUPRIZE they've been spinning longer than I have. It's just annoying, it's happened to me once, and it was not fun. Don't do it to other people.

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
what do you do tho when a salesman treats you like you're clueless?

i had a guy at glastonbury who was selling toys tell me that the staf i'd picked up was 15quid more expensive than the rest, cause it was for contact, and could i please put it down, as only experienced spinners were allowed to try it out.
i put it down, played dumb, was told how great the contat gods of staff were(none of whom i had heard of), went and got my own sticks, and played within 50 yards of him for two hours. (the thrill of being vengeful was over in 2 minutes, the other 1hr58 was just playing).

was i wrong to show off after having played dumb? i dislike being patronised y'see, and wouldn't at all have done what i did if he had treated me in anyway like i might have known anything.

after i had been playing he asked if i wanted to buy the stick. i told him £50 for a basic stick was utterly ridiculous and he should be ashamed for trying to con people into thinking one stick is better than another, and not just different.

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i think u should have done a matrix then asked him for a demo of this contact that experienced spinners do

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: diatomis

the fire snobs get under my skin a little.. I have noticed that people who spin are generally good-natured and helpfull. However there is that "upper echelon" (at least in there minds) of spinners who are soooooo freekin leet that unless you are as good or better, they have no reason to even talk to you. Class seperations occur on some level in any group of people but seriously.. I might be mistaken but this art(not poi persay but staff/contact/juggling) has such a direct link to traveling performers and those historically referred to as "lower class" that I have a hard time believing that mentality exists within it, much less that someone would feel justified operating within that mentality....
Sorry a bit long winded.

I want to respond to this because you may well be completely misinterpreting.

as someone who is relatively good at poi these days, I find it a little weird dealing with people who are less experienced and could benifit from my help unless they approach me first. If you ask, then no problem, but it is really awkward to just offer help unsolicited since you can never be sure how the other will take your contructive critism or if they even want to learn anything from you - and doubly so since someone else is problably going to come up to you in a few seconds and ask to teach them something. Good spinners tend to be quite busy as spin meets, and when they get tired of teaching (teaching burnout comes pretty quick for me), then they just want to chat with friends and such, and maybe save some mental and physical energy for doing fire later in the day. so if you don't ask, they aren't generally going to offer. But if you do ask, they will generally show you what you want even if they are spun out.

And sometimes a good spinner will not associate much with someone of lesser experience because it really seems like that person has a bit of a chip on their shoulder about the fact that you are better than they are. No need to deal with that when there are lots of others around to socialize with.

but then again, there are the occasional rare true elitists.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben-ja-men

i think u should have done a matrix then asked him for a demo of this contact that experienced spinners do

ubblol ubblol ubblol

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Adrillf

It's annoying when you are spinning and another person comes up and asks to try, and acts as though they don't know how to do anything. I don't mind handing over the poi and letting them have a shot, but what's annoying is when they act like they're clueless, I give them the intro speach of, 'go slow, spin like this, blah blah blah' and then they start and SUPRIZE they've been spinning longer than I have. It's just annoying, it's happened to me once, and it was not fun. Don't do it to other people.

I'll almost never spin if I don't have my own equipment, and if I do, only if the equipment lender asks insists on me using their poi.

Written by:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But when i get up and rip, all of a sudden people wont burn, its like they dont think they can compete or something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah ppl can be quite silly like that, go travelling find some other spinners who are amazing and spin with them u might find u stop spinning and enjoy what htey are doing

the way I deal with this one is to let most others spin first, make sure I give positive responses to their spins, and then finally go do my spiel once they are all feeling comfortable.

regarding both these subjects: After a while it actually gets pretty easy to tell how good another person is (on a general level) with poi even before you see them spin, just by seeing what they watch.

-v-

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
There is also the opposite side of the coin. I consider myself to be fairly decent at poi. Yet, I absolutely hate teaching anyone. This is because I hate teaching in general...it's not me, I'm not good at it, and I just don't enjoy it at all. I'm not a snob because of that. The only moves I can teach at all are butterfly variations. The rest I just learned by feel and not where my arm should be when. My brain can't comprehend how to teach that to someone, so instead of me getting royally frustrated trying, I just opt to not to to start with.

poi_playerBRONZE Member
121 posts

Posted:
wow, everybody talks about spin meets, i wish we had anything like that around here. ive met about 4 other people who actually spin frown anyway, i dont mind it too much when people come up to me and want to learn, since im actually tryting to start a club here at my school to try to make poi a kind of school tradition before i graduate, since the dances would just not be the same without someone spinning there cool

If you're a pyro and you know it, clap your hands!
clap clap

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
check out www.tribe.net ur more likely to find american meets in ur area there smile

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
umm i'm quite surprised by some of the comments here... but then most of the people i've met who spin seem to be ok... but this thread makes me worried i might have accidentaly upset someone myself at some point without intending/realising it...

Written by: vanize

as someone who is relatively good at poi these days, I find it a little weird dealing with people who are less experienced and could benifit from my help unless they approach me first. If you ask, then no problem, but it is really awkward to just offer help unsolicited since you can never be sure how the other will take your contructive critism or if they even want to learn anything from you - and doubly so since someone else is problably going to come up to you in a few seconds and ask to teach them something. Good spinners tend to be quite busy as spin meets, and when they get tired of teaching (teaching burnout comes pretty quick for me), then they just want to chat with friends and such, and maybe save some mental and physical energy for doing fire later in the day. so if you don't ask, they aren't generally going to offer. But if you do ask, they will generally show you what you want even if they are spun out.

i know exactly what you're talking about vanize. i don't really consider myself good but i do know some stuff. i love teaching poi yet don't like goin over to people and be like 'look what i can do ya wanna learn it?'. when i go to meets i primarily wanna hang out with friends and share ideas but love meeting new people and being able to share things with them also...if some spinners seem cleeky its probably just cos they're good friends... i hope i've never given people the impression i've blanked them or anything...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Written by:

If i forget my own stuff (unlikely, cos it normally sleeps in my car), then i just ask to borrow.

And as i've said to a few people at the adelaide meets: 'I'm the spinner that gets up and spins, and then josh and/or kate get up, and i make them look reeeeeally good.' This is normally said jocularily, though im not sure if its always taken as such.
I suck at teaching. lots. I find the best way to deal with sucking at teaching, is to say to the person asking for help 'just be warned, i really suck at teaching'

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I find my blood running cold at some spinners who actively encourage new spinners to do fire too soon. When they are wearing flammable clothing and have exposed loose hair, are drunk

shudder

If someone with experience chooses to make dangerous choices is one thing, but to encourage someone new is lunacy.

I love teaching basics and often do that to the exclusion of me learning new stuff and sometimes its hard to get up the extra emotional depth to teach someone who I will never see again and probably will never pass on the love of spinning.
I have had to learn from people every move I have because my brain isnt inventive of where to send the balls and I feel I have a obligation to return what I was given and pass it on.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gnor

I find my blood running cold at some spinners who actively encourage new spinners to do fire too soon. When they are wearing flammable clothing and have exposed loose hair, are drunk

shudder

i hate to admit im a lil guilty of that, but only because at the time i couldnt remember that fire burns confused

things that i find anoying, ok i have nothing agains people who are good, cuz i just love to watch spinning, but those that are good, and have it in their head that they are good really gets to me, those who will put you down lots and lots cuz you dont spin poi (my case here and a lil rant i suppose but hey) but that was only the one person, the rest of the spinners i have met i ubblove you all smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I don't mind to much about people who are better than me showing off and then not talking to me, I mean, if they want to be snotty, fine, I'm not to great and can't say anything. Putting it in ghetto fabulous words. I get served. Anyway, I'm guilty of just loving to show off for people, non-spinners at clubs and such(teen night blows... almost 18 ^_^)love the show. I feel bad when someone asks to try out my stuff and then is really bad, like they know the one move their friend taught them. I have no problem teaching or anything, but when they stick around and watch, I feel bad showing off more. They're learning right? It's how I picked up some neat moves.

Wow, that was long, and looking at the last entry I'm about 4ish months to late. Better late then never though right?

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
I ahte spiiners who hand lit poi to sdomeone whos never done it before and tell them to start learning.
A good friend of mine tried to do a cross over with fire her fist time and got herself caught. There were burns all over her back. Never met the person who did this but i think i'd have a word to them about it.

Also, like Durbs, when peopel take my toys without asking, its okay if you know the person well and trust them...but stupid starngers at parties who think they know it all and give me the "thats easy, i can do it - watch" *smack* line.

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

comes inside, wanders into the thread after just having enjoyed an herbal refreshment, and sits

this happened to me once, too, at a club downtown rolleyes

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
I mostly teach to people who are fairly new to poi at the moment, and as such I seem to have developed a manner of explaining as I teach which is aimed at someone with v. little experience.

What annoys me is how condescending I sound when I am trying to a explain a trick to someone who is just as good as me! frown

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: JayKitty

Wow, that was long, and looking at the last entry I'm about 4ish months to late. Better late then never though right?

actually you aren't so late - americans would look at a 12/02 as december 2nd as you did, but the rest of the world (including HoP) counts it as february 12th! biggrin

( I had a big problem in south africa since my Texas driver's licience said it expired on 9/1 - which they thought meant january 9th, but was actually suposed to be september 1st - and I wasn't allowed to renew till august, so i had to live in fear of getting pulled over for 8 months!)

-v-

Page: