Forums > Social Chat > Had a run in with the LAW

Login/Join to Participate

Feemember
80 posts

Posted:
Well well well... last night my partner and i were twirling out the front of my house when the police pulled up... first thought UH OH, but they were actually pretty cool, the male officer had a play with my poi and partners staff, unlit of course.... apparently a neighbour had called because she "saw someone playing with fire on a stick" lmao... the cops said that they werent sure if we were breakin any laws but would look into it when they got to the station and would call us if we were... and also said in the meantime we should inform our neighbours exactly what we are doing lol.... had to be the old biddy across the road... all my other neighbours are more the type to go "cool can i have a go"

Well thats my story... havent heard from the cops.. mind you i havent heard from my partner lol (he gave his name and number for the record) So its a wait and see situation.

OI CHICKY & ARSN!!!!!! ill seee you out at wello tonight... im bringing m & m cookies.. thats if i dont get peckish and eat them all lmao

seeyas

Why do you like to confuse me so?

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
my heart's with you when you get "inspected" by cops. fire's rare yet here, though we've organized, especially in our local area in the Southern California Coast between LA and San Diego where they unofficially permit it in a few places. . . our members at OrangeFire have been threatened with citations, especially many being quite young, and when our young admin calvran inquired about permits, they spoke of $500 as for commercial events; i mention young in his case because the cops aren't likely at first to misunderstand as if he meant to charge admission.

i know we'll get a first "inspection" some time at our informal burns, now we have a group ID, and may promote it to let others who've never seen it in our area know, so working to make us look, and actually be, as "responsible" for those grand inquisitors as possible until we're visited as a group.

meanwhile, tonight at a small local beach with a cavelet where people often spend the night, our spin attracted an admirer out of the shadows, who does animatronics for movies, loved what he saw, and may bring some Hollywoody folks to a burn of ours sometime.

and in some other thread, the UK one about why people spin, for the fire thrill or perfecting grace, or what, i told how my neighbor called the fire department when i burned a few leaves in our back, so know how that one feels, too, just last year!

keep the flame yourself, Fee, stay "hard" as we say in the streets, and have a blast! i wanna hear what happens.

yours in solidarity, dude ~ Mike

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
fire... on a stick....

lmao x2

Much love, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
I've yet to be moved on......I feel so ignored by the police........problems of being small enough to miss on your way out of say......Kensal.
LOL (it's funny to me)

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Well unlike you, I have barracks duties giving me grief, I am in the BBQ pit at the barracks, 20 feet of pavment in 360 degrees and they think I will set something on fire!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Feemember
80 posts

Posted:
Well the police never contacted us so im guessing we werent breaking any laws lol... but i have writen a short letter to the neighbours...so hopefully they will be less concerend... heres the letter....

Dear Neighbour,

My name is Fiona and I reside at number 12. I am writing to inform you of a hobby in which my partner and myself actively partake in; this activity is commonly known as Fire-Twirling. Fire-Twirling is an art form in which implements such as staff and poi are dipped in fuel (kerosene), ignited and twirled around the body.

Staff
A pole that is twirled around the body with both ends on fire.
Eg: broomstick with both ends on fire

Poi
Fire chains that loop around the finger
Eg: Tennis ball on string, picture tennis ball on fire.

Fire-Twirling is not as dangerous as it looks or sounds, I assure you there is absolutely NO danger to yourself nor your property, the only possible danger this activity poses is to ourselves although this is minimized as we are trained in what we do. If in the unlikely event that we do set ourselves on fire, we are fully prepared to take care of the situation both quickly and efficiently.

Considering the fact that it is fire we’re playing with, I’m sure some of you may have had concerns so thankyou for your time in reading this. If you have any further questions or queries please don’t hesitate to contact me on (number removed) or alternatively you can find more information on the Internet by visiting www.homeofpoi.com

Yours sincerely
Fiona

--------
Ok so theres a lil hint of bullshit in there for the fact that im NOT trained and only a beginner lol... but you think they'll buy it???

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
last night, Fee, just met a Hollywood animatronics & pyro dude who came up to us at our burn, said right away he knew what we were doin isn't very dangerous (Charles & others, relatively, ya'll know!), "it's very controlled." and that in a region where droughts have regularly caused fires, in the immediate hoods, maybe once a month this year, and some big monsters inland.

good you're telling your neighbors "we're trained," so they get a sense of the "professionalism" (sorry for such formal wordz!) ya operate with, so it's like, "i know what i'm doing, and how to control it," as well as "it's not really so dangerous" which they fear in the first place.

hope they get used to ya, successfully.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Fee
you might want to buy a copy of the nfpa
160 flame effcts before an audience book..it will
will really help you with the cops and the fire marshell they like it when people use thier verbage..plus most of the cops out thier have no clue to what we do..next time they come out and say ' fire on a stick " you can reply no officerrrrrrrrr it is a group one flame effect
it really messes them up..the book is pricey
but there is an old thread on HOP somewere were you can d/l it free

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
Heya Fee I had almost exacyly the same thing happen to me. Only the asshole up the road came down and nearly got himself wacked in the head by my mate who was in the middle of his routine.

He then told us to go inside as we were on public property (and this is not for the use of the public somehow??). He told my mate that if he didn't put his staff out that he was gonna shove it someplace where the sun don't shine. We very politely told him he he could go get f&*#ed and we continued to twirl on our driveway past the point of my letterbox - which is now my own private property.

The long and the short of it is that I got a visit from the good old indroopilly Police later that evening. All I had to do was exaplin what it is that we were doing and how we didn't like to do it on my grass out back as the kero kinda kills it. We got told to enjoy our night and try and keep the noise to a minimum.

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

Feemember
80 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Twirl'N'Burn:
[QB] We very politely told him he he could go get f&*#ed QB]
hmm now how do you do that politely lol

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
With a great big smug grin on my face and about five of my best friends standing right behind me

Those were not my exact words but he still got the same message. Doesn't matter too much anyways I noticed that they are moving house today whoooohooooo.

I hope that letter eases your neighbours concerns, you are right when you say that it aint as dangerous as it looks.

Simply an excuse to play with fire.