Forums > Introductions > You'll never guess who . . . .

Login/Join to Participate

And all that's jazzBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Salutations everybody, my very special first post (not the last, so no buglers yet), and what better way to kick off than with an introduction of my humble self?

Name: Fish

Mindset: happily deranged

Time spinning: since a faery, reputedly named Batwalker introduced me to them at Xmas

Hobbies: mixing chemicals within easy reach of a fire extinguisher (science), jazz music, playing bass/guitar/piano/vocals, pois (funnily enough), hiking, reading etc.

Favourite Toy: My bass guitar (though old socks filled with gravel are giving it an arpeggio for its money)

Favourite Music: Just about all jazz styles; also 60's rock (S&G, Beatles); rock 'n' roll (Led Zep, Floyd etc.); Cuban/Brazilian and African musics, . . . . just about anything that isn't likely to earn the musician a respectable living, really.

Favourite Quotes (hmm, so many):

"I cannot understand why, at the restaurant, when I ask for a boiled lobster they do not bring me a cooked telephone" - Salvador Dali

"It is much cleverer to speak nonsense than to listen to it, my dear Ernest, whatever the public may say on the matter" - Oscar Wilde, 'The Importance of Being Earnest'

"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?!" - Messrs. Python

Best Song Name: "The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife are some Jive-ass Slippers" - Charles Mingus

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

Wonder MonkeyBRONZE Member
Certainly confused
121 posts

Posted:
Hello - im new too and have been poi-ing for about the same length of time smile

Nice musical taste smile

Have you seen the books by chalres duchamp 'straight from the fridge dad' a book of rhyming hipster slang. Brilliant smile

My Mummy Says Im Special

bounce ubbloco bounce

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Hello wave

Do you like the colour pink? ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
j0!!! congradulatoins, because i anti-hate j00!!! heart heart heart

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hello and welcome to HoP!!!

wave weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Gidg bounces in on her pogo stick ... boing ... boing ... boing ...

Welcome to HoP and your music taste isn't all that bad. wink

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
hello! welcome to HoP

92 posts

Posted:
Why thank you one and all for your kind hellos and approving noises at my rather eclectic tastes in music. I personally have found that my favourite music to spin to is either a good bit of rhythm- and salsa-soaked Cuban jazz (Irakere or Arturo Sandoval, Chucho Valdes are all good), or if I'm practicing lots of weaves I need something in 3/4 or 5/4 - Dave Brubeck or Bela Fleck are the guys for anything in funny time signatures smile

Anyway, A question - is there any way to make a butterfly to weave transition without hyperloops? I'm sure there is, but maybe you have to do it via a wrap or a butterfly weave or something (I can't do that yet, I tend to make contact 'twixt my skull and a sock of gravel if I try). I'll post this in moves things too.

And yes, I like pink. Especially on toast.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Hi Welcome to HoP bounce

Would you like some Spaghetti Bolognase and a massage?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'd recomend any 3 beat tunes for good spinningness smile

wavehello welcome

Let's relight this forum ubblove

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hey - welcome! Where in Sydney art thou?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

92 posts

Posted:
I live in Balgowlah (Up the back of Manly) but go to USyd and generally spend most of my time in the city CBD. I'd be pretty interested in getting a local spinning group going, a trip to Glebe can be a bit of a trek (especially if you take a wrong turning down the Cahill Expressway . . . )

And yes, some spag bol would do nicely. What it will do is not precisely defined, but then there you go - spag bol has always been known to play its cards close to its chest. Do you use said meal in your massage routine or are they two disparate offers?

And does anyone know the name of the guy who makes and sells fire poi in the Rocks? I sold him some stuff to make them a couple of days ago but forgot to get his details (I asked and asked and threatened and cajoled, but for some unfathomable reason he seemed a little reticent. Maybe it was the 'I'll have your babies!' offer.)?

Gah, it is now 1am and altogether too late to try and construct coherent sentences. Or trains of thought. Mmm, trains.

Wasn't Winston Churchill just the spiffiest? Check out his collection of one-liners:

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I cannot put." - Winston Churchill

"You [Churchill again], sir, are drunk!"
"Yes madam, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly."

"Good sir [guess who], if I was your wife, I would poison your tea!"
"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

Funny Bugger.

92 posts

Posted:
ODE TO WONDER MONKEY: (sadly not in iambic pentameter)

Alack and Alas, I have not seen Duchamp's great book(s?), perhaps he's hiding them from me. However, some other great ones in the same line are Tom Lehrer (he does 'The Chemical Song' - a tune in which he recites, at breakneck speed all elements in the periodic table [including lanthanides and actinides] to the tune of G&S's "I am the very model of a modern major-general'), Good Old Spike Milligan (Read 'the Old Testament according to Spike Milligan, it's brilliant), and innumerable others. Good stuff, muchly.

Tooroo
EDITED_BY: And all that's jazz (1107526409)

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hey - I work at USyd, but not on main campus. I am at the Dental Hospital at Surry Hills. Glebe's not far from USyd, but the trip home would take a while smile

Are you aware of the Manly spinners meetup? I don't know any of the crew but I think if you check [Old link] , you'll see that Dentrassi has the name of a Manly kinda guy who spins intermittently.

In the meantime I'd just like to let you know that I've been loving reading your contributions to Home of Poi. Witty, intelligent - all the good stuff. biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

92 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I've heard about the Manly guys actually, I think they might be meeting down at Clontarf at the moment. Thanks for the tip though, I'll corner Dentrassi's ear (If I may be so bold) next time I see him and extricate said information from him

(he says, patting sledgehammer and collection of kneecaps ominously)

And thank you for your kind comments, I could equally say the same of your own fine missives!

Alack however, it is time for bed.

Buenos Dias

P.S. Which planet does the moon Miranda orbit? I think it is Saturn but I may be confusing one obscure Greek or Roman god with another.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
thought you might like to know, your signature should be 2 C8H18 + 25 O2 --> 16 CO2 + 18 H2O. you can't have .5 of an oxygen molecule. cheers!

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

92 posts

Posted:
Ttechnically (by IUPAC empirical naming system) you are not allowed to have half molecules, as you say, so the equation should be

2C8H18 + 25O2 ----------> 16CO2 + 18H2O + you know what
(I'm still looking for molar enthalpy values of octane at STP, does anyone have an SI Data book handy?)

However, there is a strong convention that writing of half molecules (such as said 12.5 O2) is permissible if it allows clear demonstration of the products of a large CHO by molecule and resultant enthalpy. It's a bit of a naughty technically, but it is often used and does rather simplify equations of this size.

Danke schon (*curses lack of umlat) for pointing it out though!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Greetings from Brissie, Fish! Is it as gusty there as it is here? Love your trains of thought, btw! sunny

92 posts

Posted:
True to form, our weather in Syd has been a beautiful 28 degrees for the first half of the day. I got home, spent an indeterminate amount of time perusing the internet and looked out the window to something approximating purgatory - cloudy, wet, windy and distinctly uninviting.

And thank you for your comments, I am trying my best to imitate Cityrail - unusual, meandering and not entirely within the constraints of time or reality.

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Hello Fish wave

Balancing numbers also do not refer to molecules but to moles of substances, particularly where calculations are to be carried out, so half a mole of oxygen is perfectly permissible!
But I'm sure you knew that. wink

Must go find tea before fourth years. Damn. Bell rang. Oh well.

hug

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

BatwalkerBRONZE Member
journeyman
50 posts

Posted:
Hiya sweets looks like you are doing well.

Sounds like the spinning is going very well, dam you smile, I taught you one simple move and now you can do more then me. wink

Well have to go, I'm in Adelaide at the mo, been here nearly 2 days and I haven't seen anything, so time to go and explore.

I'll be back in Syndey just before I fly out on the 15th (not sure of exact dates, but will let you know when I do).

Anyway take care sweets, speak soon hug

I am a EVIL Giraffe.....

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
Hallo there! I just managed to somehow wander across your thread.. think the jazz name caught my eye wink

thought i'd drop a hug anyhow! smile