Forums > Help! > Broadband, good?bad?complete waste of time/money??

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
How can it be that my shiny new 1 meg broadband connection is now slower than my dialup connection??

I just tried to download a vid and got a transfer rate of 2.72kbps :S

Anyone have any ideas why its so crappy?

frown

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Erm, thats odd. Is it cable or DSL? I would say to call the provider and ask them.

Broadband is essential IMO. I havent used dial up in years (thank god) and Id honestly rather not use the internet at all if I hadda go back.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
um sounds like youve been throttled. some BB accounts slow your connection to d/u speed once you go over your monthly limit. Still technically 'unlimited' but you have to read the fine print to find that you will get your bandwidth restricted after say 3 gig or something...

if its not that, I have no idea.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Thats wierd bird. Because you have the same internet as me right? Wanadoo?

Mine is fine!

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Where was the video hosted? Or was it over a P2P network? You should try downloading files from a few servers and see what speeds you get.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

BirdGOLD Member
6,086 posts

Posted:
yes, Its a wanadoo connection, It can't have gone over the limit, we only connected it on Friday and I was away all weekend, and the video was on soton-firespinning, which I know I can download stuff from at a very reasonable speed at work! frown

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Wannadoo have a 1 gig limit a month....but im not sure if that is for their 1mb lines...or if in fact im talking utter shite.

We have a 1mb Btopenworld connection which is lovely.

smile

Im with Icon on never going back to dial up.....

BirdGOLD Member
6,086 posts

Posted:
At this rate (its taken me 7 minutes and 5 reconnects to even get to this thread) I'm heading straight back to dialup, it was way better!

BirdGOLD Member
6,086 posts

Posted:
*whispers*

It appears to be working now *touches wood*

It looks like the problem was corrosion in the phone socket it was plugged in to! redface

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
don't know what it is mate but I'd give wanadoo a ring and find out why. Big companies usually have pretty good tech support for things like this.

I'd also recommend Telewest b/b. Whenever I'd tested my speed at places like dsl.com it always comes back close to or over my actual speed. I've been with them for about 4 years now and have only ever used broadband. Of course I'm lucky that their server is based a couple miles from my house and have a I'm on the 1.5mg line now cuz their 1/2meg was great too.

Hope you get it sorted out soon dude hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
when i moveto sheff, im going trade my accont up to 1mb 24.99/month unlimited bb

hmmmmm fast action videos!

Step (el-nombrie)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i saw an advert the other day for 8mb bb ... sounds nice!.

i have 1/2mb bb... most i get out of a server is 97kb p/s which is pretty crap! and im on a private network too... unlimited un capped.. £24 a month.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
virgin broadband (512k, 20gb limit), 25 a month but no contract or installation charge. I got my modem from them for a tenner with filters too. Certainly not the cheapest, but great if you don't plan on living somewhere for 12 months or just wanna see what it's like

NantheosSILVER Member
82 posts

Posted:
Do you use a router ? if so, check if it has been set up correctly. Check if the IP settings are correct. And don't hesitate to call tech support (if its free that is rolleyes)

PS I've got a lovely 4mbit connection doing a 700-800 kb/s download on a regular basis... no limits, jus a fair use policy.. ubbrollsmile

Hij die zijn kind benzine voert moet niet roken als het boert.

Love you MyIng ubblove

BirdGOLD Member
6,086 posts

Posted:
All sorted!!

One of the wires coming in to the house was broken and was only making the connection intermittently! nice mr BT man came today and replaced it!

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
Written by: Nantheos

no limits, jus a fair use policy.. ubbrollsmile

yeah, we got a price war going on, but it not as cheap as in some scandinavian countries (so I've been told).

"fair use policy is very deceiving: always ask howmuch the limit REALLY is.
they will tell you eventually. I listen to internet radio, download movies, at least 5 series episodes each week, and surf too much, but non of the fair use policies will cover that.

my connection now is 2752 Kb/s download , 352 Kb/s upload and NO DATALIMIT and I only pay 29 euro a month. (tiscali.nl) no connection charge.
prices like this will be coming to other countries as well.

oh, and I could NEVER go back to dial up.

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Mine is currently running at 46.6kb/s HAHAHA biggrin crap

Anyway, there are only xtra and ihug, and another bb has just opened. There are legal issues in court going on with telecom (xtra) not sharing the bb lines.

They have a deal going right now, but i cant help but think its a scam, and as soon as the law problem is over, alot of other groups are going to offer BB for cheaper.

Can you guys give me an idea if this is a rip off? Here is the deal:

"right now if u sign up for XYZ bb for 12 months or more u get free install kit (worth$99.95) and free jet stream connection ($99) Kit includes modem.

You can get xtra BB for $39.95 a month (but u have to be signed for 12 months, and $100 early disconnection fee)

"The new BB flat rate means u'v got 1gb each month"

Whats the story with the 1gb?!? What happens if i go over, cause i heard horror stories of HUGE bills for people going over theig 3gb acc. Do you guys have to measure how many gig u use? Or will is slow down after i download a gig, OR is it 1gb a sec? unlimited?

Should i go for it before the deal ends or WAIT untill after court deal, and get even cheaper deals from other company's that (hopfully) will emerge after the hearing?

There was a addvert on tv last night, $29 or something, but i dont think they give you a modem or free conection.
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1108779325)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Just found this which im posting as is useful.
Broadband checker by postcode

bounce2

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Go bulldog! me and my house mates get 8meg broadband, and they havent charged us a penny so far! biggrin

... it'll catch up to us soon tho... I can tell frown

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Just to let people know that TalkTalk / carphone warehouse are maybe the wrorst people to get broadband from. I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Broadband: bad.

You will enter the internet and never leave.

everyone's unique except me

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I use madasafish. Currently, ours is buggered. We have to use a 56k thingy again. frown but when it does work, its totally worth it. And wireless networks are soooooooooooo nifty XD

Totally worth it! biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

drewjitsuBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
wow you guys in the uk are getting the shaft!!

i have never in my life even heard of a download cap until i read this....and 24 pounds a month (i dont know the pound symbol on my keyboard) crazy!! restricted bandwidth after 3 gigs??? i get almost as much space in my gmail account!

for like $19 USD i can get a decent braodband connection, unlmited upload/download and all the hardware free.

then again our government is wiretapping into everyone and their mother these days frown

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
we pay £35 for a 10meg line which is a flat rate for unlimited download.

that also included installation, software and hardware.

okay, we've only had it since friday but its totally worth it already! biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

drewjitsuBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
but is not 1 GBP = 1.75 USD? so 35 = 61.25...i guess i was paying about that much for my dsl like 4 years ago, but now i pay like $70 USD for a combined broadband, phone, and satellite tv service. o well i guess it doesnt matter.

when i went to visit some family in sweden and denmark a few years ago, i was told there is about a 200% new car tax. i thought it was a joke...wow. is there anything like that in the uk?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep - that'd be the bonus of living in an absolutely massive country.

as a comparison, combined broadband, phone, and tv here is around £70-80 (depending on how much bandwidth you want and which channels you want to receive) but i don't need a phone (mobile covers it all) and tv is bad for you tongue

i think you might find that you pay less for food, clothes, consumer electronics, music, software and many other things than we in europe do...

i'm suprised you've never noticeed this before! wink

i think the tax in denmark is a beautiful scheme and one that should be imposed in america and many other countries immediately.

in fact, green taxes like this should be levied in all countries with populations with large personal carbon footprints - especially countries where the general awareness of the environment and related issues is fairly low.

man, how off topic did we get?! redface

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
We pay £30 per month for Broadband (2meg) + TV + phone with Telewest. It must be a fairly hefty package of channels and super phat web link to be £70 worth.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
it is dunc smile

ntl's top package: 10meg broadband, unlimited landline calls at any time and 160 digital tv channels.

hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
bah what it is to work in london and have money wink

give bams a hug for me ok smile

Step (el-nombrie)

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: Asena

Go bulldog! me and my house mates get 8meg broadband, and they havent charged us a penny so far! biggrin

... it'll catch up to us soon tho... I can tell frown

We're on bulldog. 8meg with no restrictions biggrin

Page: