Forums > Social Chat > a pox on you cirque du soleil!

Login/Join to Participate

Mr Handsmember
64 posts

Posted:
You find an art . . . you pour into it your pasion . . .You try your hardest. . . you spend hours, weeks, all the way up to years of your life in pursiut of your love . . . you think you're getting cool, peoepl like to watch yo, you get trickles of calpping every now and then, and it keeps you afloat as you bob up and down on the tumultuous surface of a life of ever unstable realities . . . you get happy . . . then you watch cirque du soleil and wish you'd just been droppedat bith, in the bin....

Why, do these angelic super beings exist!? Why do I want to cry when I see them perform!?!?? WHY!!?!?

Does anyone else get this? am I the only emotionally retarded crazy person in the house?! Is there a trick?

If a trick there be . . . do tell . . .

AlfredSILVER Member
Altyd Brandend
149 posts

Posted:
I HEAR YA!I would give vital organs to be in a cirque show.Lets sabotage them and put itching powerder in their leotards!

Spinning makes my world go round

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Clapping? you get applause?

Meh

Mr Handsmember
64 posts

Posted:
clap... clap... clap... yee... ha... and every now and then someone throws me another ball... I wish they'd throw it slower damn them...

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
it's even worse when you pick up a new hobby and try for days to get a trick... then your cousin picks up your gear and *wham* she can do the trick you have been wanting to do for ages.

But dont worry, I am sure heaps of people get those same feelings, I know I do when i see other spinners doing what I want to do... even when it isnt the cirque people...

Then again... I am only a newb (sort of)...

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
YOU FOOLS!! Cirque people aren't superhuman beings. do you realize how much work they put into getting all those tricks down?! It's even harder when there are Three or four people in an act... That means that you have to synchronze every movement. My dream is to work up to a level that is acceptable to Cirque standards. You can't mock my dream. That bit about the itching powder was pretty funny though...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
For most of us on HOP it's a hobby, no matter how much time, effort and passion we give it, it's still a hobby.

For these people, its an occupation and way of life, they dedicate their lifes to their art, go to circus school etc.

It means YOU can do it as well. Just give up your 9-to-5 and look for a school!

Itching powder? Bit harsh... I would've gone for the wasabi myself...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Capsicum. Capsicum, people.

Nothing like a little burning...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Cayenne in the tights!!! eek

*giggle...giggle...giggle*

Burn, baby, burn!!! ubblol

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Give them the clap

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
There are some bitter, bitter people behind all those keyboards. biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
You know you love it FRD

DavidJNolanPrecision instrument of speed and aromatics
240 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

For most of us on HOP it's a hobby, no matter how much time, effort and passion we give it, it's still a hobby.

For these people, its an occupation and way of life, they dedicate their lifes to their art, go to circus school etc.

It means YOU can do it as well. Just give up your 9-to-5 and look for a school!

The regretable thing is, that if you are anthing over 15, you probably can't
Most circus performers start really young and have it built into them from an early age. It frustrates me to think that, no matter how much I train, I will never get myself to circus level (cabarat level maybe) because I'm too damned old now.

Anyway, there's much more to a great circus routine than just being the master of your chosen prop. Look at people like Thomas Dietz, he's possibly the best juggler in the world, but he could never perform for Cirque coz all he does is juggle. A circus performance usually entails dance and gymnastics in addition to the chosen juggling prop, and this takes a lifetime of study and training to achieve.

I think that cabarat level can be achieved with a few years of intensive training, but circus level takes a lifetime.

Not a spinner!

240 posts

Posted:
That said, the fire staff routine that they have in Alegria is the low point in the show. I know a lot of people who could do better than that.

Not a spinner!

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i've never managed to go see cirque...they are even performing here at the moment - about 20 minutes from my house! frown though it's varekai, not alegria.

also - _Y_ did you know (& i'm assuming you did!) that when your posts come up on the front page your name looks like a bum?! ubblol cos on the main page it comes up as (_Y_) *teehee*

ahem! rolleyes

back on topic, yes cirque soleil are amazing...they are freaks, but amazing freaks! ubblol

i think i should stop now...

ubbloco

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

240 posts

Posted:
Not at all, they should keep going forever. What they perform is amazing and should be seen by everyone.

However, it is a bit of a shame that Cirque du Soleil gets ALL the attention when it comes to contemporary circus. there are other great circuses, like Cirque Eloize, and other great performances that don't get half the acknowledgement that the Soleil shows do, just coz they have a big name.

Not a spinner!

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Y_

Not at all, they should keep going forever. What they perform is amazing and should be seen by everyone.

However, it is a bit of a shame that Cirque du Soleil gets ALL the attention when it comes to contemporary circus. there are other great circuses, like Cirque Eloize, and other great performances that don't get half the acknowledgement that the Soleil shows do, just coz they have a big name.

cirque had worked damned hard to get the reputation it has and deserves every bit of it.

circus oz has an amazing reputation and following in australia, which is also well deserved

my optomistic self would like to beleive that cirque helps spark interest in the circus arts - they only come to australia every couple of years so local circus benifit from the renewed interest they generate.

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
I have faith in you _Y_ , Fenfire for Cirque du Soleil! Start sending your emails smile

hug

ber sealThe Official London juggling über spy. shh! dont tell any one
419 posts

Posted:
I think that most of us could get into cirque du soleil. All you need is a 8-10 mins show, make it something different from what they have had before and then practice it till you can perform it with out drops or mistakes. then apply to them.

As it goes I have a show in mind that I think that I can get ready in about 3 years from now(Dream Dream). so watch out.

When people says "plz" cause its shorter than "please" I say "no" cause its shorter than "yes"

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh come off it, its painfully clear how they got so good...

Voodoo magic

*shifty eyes*

*you hear a chicken being necked in the backround*

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

ber sealThe Official London juggling über spy. shh! dont tell any one
419 posts

Posted:
No it's all done with smoke and mirrors.

"if you smoke enough then you can see your self doing it in the mirror" Well thats how I see myself doing it.

When people says "plz" cause its shorter than "please" I say "no" cause its shorter than "yes"