Forums > Help! > Switzerland (Help Please)

Login/Join to Participate

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
I'm going to Switzerland (from England) this February and am really hoping that I can take my fire poi. Will I be able to? I thought I'd better check it out with you guys to make sure.
My concerns...

Taking fire poi on a plane.
From searching about I've gathered that they should be okay if they're...
taken apart (wick from chain)
airtight (ziplock bag or such)
with a photo and explanation
in with main luggage
Is this right? Yes, I've searched, but I really want to make sure.

Snow
I've heard of people spinning in the snow, but I thought I'd check whether I'll be okay lighting up. This is big snow, not pathetic South East England snow that I'm used to. Will it be to cold or something? Do I need to do anything special, or should I be okay?

Fuel
I'm not gonna be taking paraffin on a plane with me, no way.
Is paraffin available out there? Or good alternatives? How do I ask for paraffin in Switzerland?

The Return
The ever lurking smell of used fire poi. Obviously I'll try to get rid of any smell on my stuff before coming back, but being paranoid I thought I should ask about this too. Are we likely to experience any problems on returning with lingering smells and such?? Aah, now I'm worrying...

Other Stuff
I think I've probably forgotten something. Is there anything I need to know? I've never travelled with my poi before, so I'm being paranoid and such at my total lack of knowledge.
Any help/advice welcome.

I'll bring you all back some snow.
Kirsty

(I've done a durbs, so please don't shout)

smells like burning teenagers..

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
This might help you with Fuel names

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
basically, you have it about right. as for spinning in snow - well, cold temp might make your fuel harder to light, but it will still light and it won't freeze.

use multiple layers of plastic wrapping around the poi heads, and do remoce the chains.

I've had my poi removed from my bags once by security, but have flown with them dozens of times.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
this is soooo not fair a) your ging to switzerland and b) your prolly going on half term when ebo meets are planned for *cry*
have fun if I don't see you before you go wink hug

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
Thank you Skulduggery, thank you vanize! You're stars!

9 days to go!

Aimee, since when have there been Ebo meets arranged for half term?
Do you want to do some fire on the last Sunday of half term? Or even before half term? I'm having meet withdrawel symptoms...
Send me your address and I'll send you a post card aswell.

Thanks again guys xx

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Have fun in Switzerland Koo, its a great place smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
Thankye Will. 2 days to go, ooh...!

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd bump this, as I got home yesterday.

Had an absolutely amazing week. Fire poi were fine on both the journeys there and back... nothing happened about them at all.
(I did get my shoes conviscated though!!)

Twirling in the snow was beautiful. The lovely campfire we had on our last night was just dying down, and lighting up for all the friends we'd made during the week was pretty damn cool. They all seemed to enjoy watching, but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it far far more. Snow! Fire! Aww!

Had a more experiemental play after everyone else had gone back to the Chalet, and now all I need to do is get the black mark off of the ski trousers I borrowed!!

Thanks to all,
Kirsty xx

HOP Newsletter