Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > fire poi throwing/ contact fire poi

Login/Join to Participate

cainebabymember
32 posts

Posted:
does anyone know of any good sites which could show me how to do contact fire poi? i'm trying wraps and am getting better, but i feel i need more, and my imagination is running out of ideas of what to do with poi.

God said "look" so we looked, and before us was nothing, God laughed and said "made you look". he was well mean that day! redface

what kind of victory is it when someone is left defeted?

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
wathc the videos by [Old link] and they should show you some fun techy stuff to learn, for contact stuff.........not so sure.....grab a staff biggrin ubbloco

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yeah, there are no sites dedicated to contact poi that Ive ever heard of. Contact poi, so far, hasnt really developed much. Very few people do it, and even fewer do it well (in fact, I dont know that Ive ever seen a contact poi move that was all that cool lookin). If youre just looking to expand your poi repertoire I suggest downloading as many videos as you can from the videos forum. You also may want to check out glowsticking.com for more wrap inspiration since thats pretty much all they do.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
no sites that i have seen,try entering in to these contact moves from different normal moves,then try them reverse and behind the back to an extent.oli is good at these though...

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Written by: ICoN

Yeah, there are no sites dedicated to contact poi that Ive ever heard of. Contact poi, so far, hasnt really developed much. Very few people do it, and even fewer do it well (in fact, I dont know that Ive ever seen a contact poi move that was all that cool lookin). If youre just looking to expand your poi repertoire I suggest downloading as many videos as you can from the videos forum. You also may want to check out glowsticking.com for more wrap inspiration since thats pretty much all they do.

Elasta is the contact person around here I believe - there's a video of her in MCP's video thread (search it) and there's a major contact poi thread she has posted on (search it). You can do most of the contact moves with fire poi, but the problem is weighting your handles, which people do in lots of different ways. The cleanest way is to get hold of some heavy wooden balls big enough for you to grip and sink an eye hook into them. There's a thread on this in technical, too.

It sounds to me like you might be talking more about wraps, though - contact poi is a term used for when you let go of the handle but the poi remains in contact with you. It's a bit of a messy term, mind - no-one's ever properly defined it as far as I know. If you're *really* into wraps with fire poi, you might want to invest in some kevlar gauntlets, which will make your spiral wraps and suchlike much, much less painful...

"Take that, math!"

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
there's some stuff out on Spherculism cainebaby. We'll have some nice contact out at somepoint soon but till then you'll hav to just bide your time and use your imagination. You can invent lots that way wink

ubbrollsmile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
ive been gettin into this catches with fire throws
and traces with fire

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock