ewanewbie
18 posts

Posted:
when i did (rather tryed to do) over the head butterfly chains gone around my hands, and somehow tied, I'v burnd myself, but not to bad, so I trydd again, and again it didnt work. What do you do when you burn yorself? and why over the head butterfly sometimes works perfect and sometimes dosent work at any. and do you do that in gloves or wihout?
chers weavesmiley

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
i find that spinning with gloves doesn't help your spinning as it restricts how much you can feel of the chain or rope, but when you do it it's mostly timing, plus i'd reccomend spinning without your poi on fire first, then you can get your tricks down to almost perfection and then use fire. i once tried doing a trick with fire without practicing and burnt what i had of nose hair away, and that doesnt smell too nice tongue

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
i 2nd all havokist said, and offer the advice that you put posts like this in the "poi moves" section, this section is just for random stuff that people feel like chatting about. you'll get better comments if you post in the right forum

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

ewanewbie
18 posts

Posted:
yes you heve right:] sry

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
The moral of the story: Don't do moves that often (or more than one in a hundred) screw up for you with fire!

The wrap I think you're describing can be done on purpose as a recoil wrap, it's most likely you're doing it be mistake because your planes are way off (it's hard with overhead butterfly to get it as tight as normal) and your wrists arn't locked together.

But seriously, you should research what to do with burns before you light up, and I can highly recomend that anyone learning poi learns wraps whether they intend to use them or not, cause knowing how to get out of them when done by mistake can save you much injury

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
You may have cool hair but still thats gonna go unless you realise that you def must nail a move before trying it with fire, get some socks if u havent already got some.

The overthe head butterfuly also known as angel wings, i know what your problem is and the trick is to reach right down (when your first leanring it) down your back, imagine your trying to scratch the middle of your back, that will help trust me smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: flid

The moral of the story: Don't do moves that often (or more than one in a hundred) screw up for you with fire!

The wrap I think you're describing can be done on purpose as a recoil wrap, it's most likely you're doing it be mistake because your planes are way off (it's hard with overhead butterfly to get it as tight as normal) and your wrists arn't locked together.

But seriously, you should research what to do with burns before you light up, and I can highly recomend that anyone learning poi learns wraps whether they intend to use them or not, cause knowing how to get out of them when done by mistake can save you much injury

wow. really good advice, man. there's lots of OTH butterfly double wraps that mirror all the regular front ones. there's the handcuff-ish ones that you must be talking about if it's wrists are together and locked. there's also a whole family of forearms crossed versions where the chains wrap over the elbow and the poi recoil forward or backward into your armpit. crap this is giving me all kinds of ideas for making one wrap forward and one reverse, not to mention split time double (same arm) wraps OTH. i'm going back outside to beat myself up more... with practice chains.

-- dut

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I don't think Ewa was as much asking about wraps as simply inquiring about the over the head butterfly, I think the wrap just came in as an uncontrolled byproduct of his attempts.

Ewa,,,you know when you do the butterfly, one hand is usually on top, it's a good idea to practice this move with either your left or right hand on top, the reasons will become apparent as your skills progress.

So lets say you're more comfortable with your right hand on top, The trick is to keep the same relationship between your hands as you take the butterfly overhead. What I mean is...your right hand is on top when you do the butterfly normally, and when you take it over your head your right hand should end up on the bottom, try it a few times with out your poi. just to get a feeling for it.

And whatever you do........don't cross your hands as you go overhead, this probably explains why the chains wrapped around your hands. work on your planes for a moment with one poi, first one hand, then the other, it'll all come together and before you know it you'll be standing there spinning them behind your head until you're bored silly

Cheers

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Written by: ewa

when i did (rather tryed to do) over the head butterfly chains gone around my hands, and somehow tied, I'v burnd myself, but not to bad, so I trydd again, and again it didnt work.

You may want to try practicing with unlit pois until youve nailed the move wink

Written by: ewa

What do you do when you burn yorself?

1st degree - 10 mins of cold water (no ice, it damages tissue)
2nd degree - ditto may need to see doctor
3rd degree - ditto will need to see doctor, may need ambulance + paramedics

But like i said before - nail the move first, then you wont burn yourself biggrin

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Treatment of burns has been covered in the fire saftey section of this site. Maybe you might like to take a little time reading them through for your own well being and health.

THIS is the section on burns.

THIS is the saftey section that if you read and follow its recommendations it might help you not to get so many burns in the first place!

DO NOT GET THIRD DEGREE BURNS WET! Cover them with a sterile dressing and seek immediate medical attention.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

noadotooBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
Going back to the over-the-head Butterfly for a moment...

What helped me to do it successfully was my brother saying "it's just like the High Turn, but without turning your body!" (high turn is shown here: https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/3_8_19 )

Somehow that made me stop thinking too much and just do the movement, and after just a few tries it worked!

And i can also do the Chasing the Sun move, finally smile
Good luck to all the newbies trying it (like me)!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
only advice i can offer is to practice practice and practice and once you have the move down then and only then do it with fire.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i would start unlit till you can get it most of the time
then if you just mean the oth butterfly and not the wrap...
start with one hand and then the other, work on your planes to keep them straightish
or just start with one poi but use both hands so you can work and keeping your hands out of your string's way

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed