Forums > Social Chat > Owwwwwwwies frelling glasses

Login/Join to Participate

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
Okay, that was like the 4th time I smashed my left ear against my glasses today and it's getting a bit ludicrus. My ear is throbbing and my glasses are developing a decided list. Am I just better off switching to contacts and chancing the black eye?

Maybe I should just dig out my motorcycle helmet for practice. *pouts*

The worst part of it is I just dyed my hair midnight blue and my ear is such an odd shade of reddish blue that I don't know if I should wash it off better or put ice on it.

Blah, the weirdest things always end up messing you up. I can take a straight full speed shot to the solar plexus and pick up the poi again with not much more then an "oof" but a shot to the ear gives me pause.

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, I know almost exactly what you mean - my glasses now have more bends than they should and the arms are loose - I managed to hit myself full in the face with my meteors, which crushed my glasses into my nose before sending them spinning off my head. I managed to do the same with my staff too, but that one drew blood.
I'm constantly hitting myself in the face and glasses area - it seems to be the one place my poi are attracted to

I think I'm going to invest in a new set of unbent glasses and use these ones to practise in, otherwise I can't see a thing.
I'd really like a pair of the unbreakable ones you can fold up and put in your mouth (should you so desire), I imagine they'd be able to take the abuse a spinner can throw at them - they're just very expensive.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
On a simaler note. I had the top of my ear pierced, but I kept smacking it, to the point were it to was black n blue. Untill 1 day I was practicing and the cord on my comet poi wraped around the back of the stud and
nearly pulled it out so I removed said piecing.

But the funnoest bit is since then I haven't hit my ear once (touch wood )

cheers
brashie

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

128 posts

Posted:
Man, you would think they'd offer /some/ protection but no, you just get the full force of the shot focused either right into your sinus or the side of your head.
My big problem is I have been practicing outside on my front lawn in the wee hours of the morning and I REALLY would like to see what's going on around me, especially after my mom's stereo got stolen last month. I get a little nervous when I can't see my surroundings. I'd put in my contacts but it seems like so much effort for the amount of time I'm actually twirling.
You know, the helmet idea might not be so bad after all. And it'll teach me to leave a good amt of clearance for my head (It will also however, look incredibly dumb).

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

128 posts

Posted:
Ahm *koff koff* I think anything I could say about my piercings and poi high speed contact problems would be W.T.M.I. lets just say it's been... problematic.

Well, actually one thing I /could/ say, I really fear the day the tip of my nose gets hit as a septum ring is not the happiest thing to have smashed.

-Emerson M Pugh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
see, i cna't stand my glasses to begin with, so i only wear them late at night and when i'm quite done wit poi. i used to hit myself in the face all the time and i never got any bruises even *knock on wood* so i don't think you should worry 'bout that. contacts rock!!!!!

u guys an ur glasses are nuts. of course, keep in mind i can't see worth shit w/o aid and so i don't have that third option of "can't be arsed...."

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Me too kyrian - cant see jack without them!

At the moment there are 2 chips on my right hand lens and the titanium frame is very bent (thank god I managed to buy a titanium pair as nothing else would ever last up to the battering these have been given!)

I do wear contacts but I dont really like firebreathing without glases, just in case I breathe too much paraffin and some large droplets fall back towards my face.

Mark P

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Wow, I've just been into town on my lunchbreak - the really bendy glasses you can fit into your mouth run at £150 a pair, a fair bit more than I've ever paid for glasses.
I'm still very tempted, because I always manage to mangle my glasses (I fell asleep on the last set and they were flat when I woke up).
Out of interest, how much were the titanium frames Mark?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
The Ti frames were about £100 - they are good but it is probably worth the extra £50 quid for the flexi ones as they do eventually break. (only managed to break one of the little bits that sit on your nose over the last 12 months though and that is pretty good going for me )

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I was going to recomend contacts as they help me loads with those hits directly in the face which usually send glasses flying at least three meters away...

BUT I must say that I cant see very well with my contacts...
They are dailys and dont correct my stigmatism (irregular eye surface causing slight blurriness) cause they cant be cut accurately enough to correct it... So I can see well but I can still see my stigmatism its quite interesting as it separates the eye problems I have butleaves the other

Life is different through frames and I hate the fact that i cant really do poi with mine on!

Much love, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!