Page: ......
NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
top o' the morning wales based poiple! this is the thread for all things wales based, although the crew is mostly based in the land of taff currently with a sizeable offshoot in the land of tawe, please talk about funky things all over cymru in this thread!!

so, for the uninitiated, here is an exciting list of regular poi activities for the wales based....

weavesmiley Cardiff/Caerdydd:

smile Thursday nights, 8-10pm, come along to Ebenezer Church (Charles Street, around the back of Burger King and Next) for nofitstate circus' community juggling club, for poi and all sorts of other exciting juggle arts. It's just £2.

smile Little Devil's Circus coming soon... contact pitman for further details or keep an eye on this thread

smile on sunny evenings/days, Roath Park (Rec. or flower garden) you may well find a NOn spinning... it might also not be a NOn, or even a HoP person at all, but if you see someone there spinning, you may as well say hello...

at other unspecified times, there may be other meets, check the most recent posts in this thread for specific details...

juggle Juggling Shops

Cardiff Games, Duke St Arcade: although not exclusively a juggling shop, they stock some poi, juggling balls and rings, plus occasional other sorts of toys... oh and the guy who owns it does poi too!

Route One Skate Shop, Morgan Arcade: Stocks variety of juggling equipment, including poi.

hug HoP people in town

NOn

Rossco Bossco

Pitman

Ryan

Unclassified Leggy Girl

weavesmiley Swansea/Abertawe and surrounding area:

smile Juggling Club, Thursdays 7-9pm In the Phoenix Centre, in the Townhill Area of Swansea. Costs £2 for the session!

smile Circus Eruption is based in Swansea and they run a juggling club for young people, also frequently advertise in the Big Issue for volunteers to help out, but i don't know anything else about location or anything for that at the moment.....

juggle Juggling Shops

Don't know of any

hug HoP people in town & surroundings

Skully

holysmoke27

weavesmiley Port Talbot:

smile Tai Poi Workshops on Aberavon beach most weekends! £2

juggle Juggling Shops

Don't know of any

hug HoP people in town

Gizmo

Kim

Gums

weavesmiley Rhondda Cynon Taf:

hug HoP people in town

NOn (Aberdare on workdays)

Stroo(poss? M.I.A...)

Juls (Pontypridd)

weavesmiley Llanelli:

hug HoP people in town

Adz

weavesmiley Caerphilly:

hug HoP people in town

Nia

weavesmiley Abergavenny/Usk/Monmouth area:

smile Monmouth, 7pm, under the Monnow bridge Every week, free, look out for the lovely poiple...

hug HoP people in town

Buggleberry Fairy

Mr Chutney

Shaping Light

weavesmiley Aberystwyth:

juggle Juggling Shops

Pixie Moon in Market Hall. Stocks juggling equipment, Poi/Flag Poi/Fire Poi, Staff and other Circus Skills.

hug HoP people in town

Imaginary Grace

weavesmiley Anglesey:

hug HoP people in town

glowingsunsets

everything else happens spontaneously in or around this thread, so please introduce yourself in this thread and come hang out with the coolest poiple in wales.....

cool

updated with brand new design attributes by mattyb

EDITED_BY: NOn (1189456023)

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
i'm down for a cardiff meet

i just had an amazing weekend in london.
synergy project friday night was incredible. awesome music, nice perfomances, lovely spinning and juggling in a very eclectic atmosphere. next one is november 24th and i think i'll be going to that one as well. (u should come)

saturday spinning at the park. i met this guy who was really good at diablo and he taught me tons of new stuff. (if you haven't been practicing i'll be teaching you next time pitman) we got some really nice pictures with glow diabolo and glow poi.

saturday night we went to a house party with live music that was amazing.

same offer stands this weekend for anyone who wants to come spin in usk. the host (me) is providing beer and food, how could you pass that up?

buggleberry_fairySILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I'm up for a cardiff meet in nov, although being a saturday i might be working, so we'll have to see. why not sunday?

I could come to usk though, as its closer, although feel shy because i don't know ya'll yet frown. ooo - could we spin in the castle? i did a while back (not with fire, just light-up ones and ordinary stuff), but its a nice background!

P.S. also so proud of myself after months of confusion finally mastered 3bt windmill, 3bt corkscrew and weave waist wrap, yay! My left hand is absolutely terrible at it though.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
nice one bugs keep it up. i just checked the forecast and this weekend might not be the best for a meet. maybe the weekend after tho.

172 posts

Posted:
i need a meet soon as i really want to be able to do isolations. i get the idea of it, and looked at all the threads but it just doesnt happen frown. i don't think my hands are quick enough to start it off - any hints?

also its now thundering outside which really helps. it's so dark!

nat

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
my personal preference is to use heavy poi for iso's (its easier) also practice without poi (making circles with your hands like you are turning the pedals of a bike) and practice with one poi at a time. try the wall plane and buzzsaw to see which one you more combfortable with. it really all comes down to lots and lots of practice.

172 posts

Posted:
ok i can do it without the poi for the circle motion with my hands, but when it comes down to adding a poi, then my arm wont make a circle, and if it does then the poi circle gets bigger instead of following my hand frown. how do you actually start it off? if i try and take the weight off the poi, it just goes cathud instead of a smooth circle. i don't think my poi are heave enough - my light ups are extremely light...time to go put tennis balls in my socks again...

update: socks and tennis balls didnt work frown. i'll just have to make the next meet!
EDITED_BY: buggleberry_fairy (1161031425)

any_suggestionsGOLD Member
enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
ill show you how to do isolation bnuzz sawe in the next meet,its so easy and as for speed you dont need to spin them fast,gutted sage mate id come to london for the 24th but im going to a gig the next day and id be to f***ed,next meet start of november then?swansea please please please!

to many freaks to little circuses!

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
ps what glow poi are yall using?how do i change the member under my name to something else?

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
i use 125g to learn isolations. i don't think tennis balls are that heavy. i have to disagree with adz on "it's so easy", they took me a long time to learn (around 4 month of practice) and i still have some work to do on forward iso's and my reverse iso's are ugly.

i just got some green and blue aerotech balls and i'm waiting on the white socks from hop to put them in. they are soooo good its amazing.

change your member thing in your profile page after 100 post i think.

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
 Written by: any_suggestions

ill show you how to do isolation bnuzz sawe in the next meet,its so easy

of course its easy for you. ur better than most people i know at iso buzz! urs are so clean u c**t lol.

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
btw soz for sh*t spelling didnt pay much attention,are the aerotech balls worth the 50 quid each?did yours come with a charger?so swansea for the meet it is,awsome stuff lol,i learnt that juggling trick you do where you catch the balls palm down.how are we all?pitman whats the number of the insurance company giz is with?

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
link to some pictures of glow diabolo and poi from last weekend

RedLightFevernewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hi, I am an events promotor working on a halloween night at Que Pasa in Cardiff - we are looking for fire performers to come and make the place light up, we are going for a gothic noir look and think balls of fire and fire poi would be awesome - please let me know if you are interested on 07761823829, please leave a voicemail if I am unavailable. Cheers, Vaughn

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
thanks for posting redlightfever
after talking with you i think it sounds like a good opportunity and a good time so as for now count me in.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Will this event be covered by public liability insurance for fire? If not will you be paying to get each spinner covered?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
im in redlight fever
ill give you a ring tomorrow for a chat.nice pics sage!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Evening/ Afternoon/ Morning all. grouphug

The full post by Mr Vaugn is
 Written by: RedLightFever

My name is Vaughn Price, I am head of an up and coming events promotion company called Red Light Fever. We are currently working on a Halloween night at Que Pasa in Cardiff and are looking for any fire poi, fire breathers and jugglers to perform on the night. This is an excellent way to advertise your business and the world of fire poi. I would be grateful if you could get back to me on 07761823829 at your nearest convenience, please leave a voicemail if I am unavailable.

Many Thanks

Vaughn Price

Id like you all to read [Old link] before deciding if you are doing it or not.

I know some of you couldnt care less about my opinion, but I urge you, if theres no payment, then DON'T do it (see that thread I just posted as to why), if there is no safety crew/ fire blankets/ extinguishers/ etc then DON'T do it, if you dont have insurance then DON'T perform with fire (if anything goes wrong then you will be the one responsible, and you COULD be sued for damages - can you afford it?)

Then again, it might be a well paid performance job, with excellent safety and fully insured (if they have personal liabilty cover and it covers you in case of an accident) for you.
You should at least wait until there is more info at least!

Pitman, and any other fire breathers, and yes, Im talking directly to you here ( wink ) if you are planning on doing this event if paid and fire breathing at it, you NEED insurance, not only to cover yourself, but in case any pissed up morons think it would be a good idea to distract you or put you off, and they end up injured.
Guys (and girls), im speaking from 5 and half years of spinning, breathing and performing experience here, so please take note of what I say hug

Im trying to save you from a potentially damaging life changing event here. smile

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
please excuse my ignorance from inexperience

so if the saftey issues are covered, their insurance has personal liabilty cover and it covers you in case of an accident, and it pays well enough then all is good? or do we definetley need personal fire insurance? (for spinning fire not breathing)

i have spoken with vaughn and he has informed me that it is a paying gig and that their insurance will cover us. more details to come
EDITED_BY: sagetree (1161261875)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ok, its a paying gig smile

(Hey Sagetree, I only found out in the other thread that it was a paying gig after I posted my original message. Im really glad about that. Remember what OWD said smile )

IMHO, and you should double, triple and quadruple check this, but if they have YOU covered by THEIR insurance, then all is good.

You should always consider getting your own insurance for those gigs that the hirer doesnt have insurance for you.

(To those in RedLightFever- Im not trying to step on your toes or put people off by ANY means, im just trying to keep people safe and make sure an accident doesnt happen - I hope you can see it that way smile hug )

gizmo2009member
146 posts

Posted:
hey redlight fever, im interested, sage dude keep me posted, ive done a good few gigs before now and my insurance has just run out, so if the gig is covered allready then im up for it smile

172 posts

Posted:
so our next meet is in aberaeron? in november? any more info yet? im sure there was a date but i cant remember it.

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
nah i thought it was cardiff,or hopefully if everyone is nice in swansea.sage you gonna txt me your number?how are we all?

172 posts

Posted:
cardiffs better for me. any more info like dates and location?

nat

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
on the 31st gizmo adz and myself will be performing fire at the front entrance to que pasa in cardiff for 1-2 hours. we have a saftey person coming with us as well.

gizmo - i will pick you up around 6:00 so we can get there around 7ish

adz - meet us there around 7ish

i will be meeting with the event organiser and the person responsible for insurance next weekend at que pasa with a written agreement for them to sign. i have established a flat rate of 100£ for 1 hour and if lots of people are showing up and they want us to continue spinning the price goes up to 150£

the 1 hour of spinning can be taken in turns and with reasonable breaks in between spins.

in addition to the cash payment we will recieve free entry and free drinks after the performance. there is a costume competition for any interested. (i'm going as a jedi if you guys want to get a theme going lol)

come down and support us if your not busy

Non-Https Image Link

gizmo mirrored buzzsaw

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Congratulations!
and I wish you much much much good luck with it!

Have fun, and stay safe!

ubbrollsmile

172 posts

Posted:
well that would be a much more fun way to enjoy halloween than waiting for the doorbell to ring a cazillion times whilst the cunning teenagers repeatedly come around our house hoping that we dont recognise them again. sadly i can't make it as i've got a sign language session, but have fun spinning - and if poss take photos!

nat

gizmo2009member
146 posts

Posted:
thanks for sorting this sage smile.. adz you wanna meet us here at aberavon to travel up ??..

ill text you both tomorrow anyhow guys biggrin..

p.s nice pic sage wink

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
yes please giz mate coz i dnt know where the club is,will you meet me in the train station so i can follow you up?cheers dudes,cant wait now!txt me to let me know!

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
ooh what time you starting spinning? might well pop down:)

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
we are starting at 9:00

so meet at the train station at 6:30

sunny

Page: ......