Page: ......
NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
top o' the morning wales based poiple! this is the thread for all things wales based, although the crew is mostly based in the land of taff currently with a sizeable offshoot in the land of tawe, please talk about funky things all over cymru in this thread!!

so, for the uninitiated, here is an exciting list of regular poi activities for the wales based....

weavesmiley Cardiff/Caerdydd:

smile Thursday nights, 8-10pm, come along to Ebenezer Church (Charles Street, around the back of Burger King and Next) for nofitstate circus' community juggling club, for poi and all sorts of other exciting juggle arts. It's just £2.

smile Little Devil's Circus coming soon... contact pitman for further details or keep an eye on this thread

smile on sunny evenings/days, Roath Park (Rec. or flower garden) you may well find a NOn spinning... it might also not be a NOn, or even a HoP person at all, but if you see someone there spinning, you may as well say hello...

at other unspecified times, there may be other meets, check the most recent posts in this thread for specific details...

juggle Juggling Shops

Cardiff Games, Duke St Arcade: although not exclusively a juggling shop, they stock some poi, juggling balls and rings, plus occasional other sorts of toys... oh and the guy who owns it does poi too!

Route One Skate Shop, Morgan Arcade: Stocks variety of juggling equipment, including poi.

hug HoP people in town

NOn

Rossco Bossco

Pitman

Ryan

Unclassified Leggy Girl

weavesmiley Swansea/Abertawe and surrounding area:

smile Juggling Club, Thursdays 7-9pm In the Phoenix Centre, in the Townhill Area of Swansea. Costs £2 for the session!

smile Circus Eruption is based in Swansea and they run a juggling club for young people, also frequently advertise in the Big Issue for volunteers to help out, but i don't know anything else about location or anything for that at the moment.....

juggle Juggling Shops

Don't know of any

hug HoP people in town & surroundings

Skully

holysmoke27

weavesmiley Port Talbot:

smile Tai Poi Workshops on Aberavon beach most weekends! £2

juggle Juggling Shops

Don't know of any

hug HoP people in town

Gizmo

Kim

Gums

weavesmiley Rhondda Cynon Taf:

hug HoP people in town

NOn (Aberdare on workdays)

Stroo(poss? M.I.A...)

Juls (Pontypridd)

weavesmiley Llanelli:

hug HoP people in town

Adz

weavesmiley Caerphilly:

hug HoP people in town

Nia

weavesmiley Abergavenny/Usk/Monmouth area:

smile Monmouth, 7pm, under the Monnow bridge Every week, free, look out for the lovely poiple...

hug HoP people in town

Buggleberry Fairy

Mr Chutney

Shaping Light

weavesmiley Aberystwyth:

juggle Juggling Shops

Pixie Moon in Market Hall. Stocks juggling equipment, Poi/Flag Poi/Fire Poi, Staff and other Circus Skills.

hug HoP people in town

Imaginary Grace

weavesmiley Anglesey:

hug HoP people in town

glowingsunsets

everything else happens spontaneously in or around this thread, so please introduce yourself in this thread and come hang out with the coolest poiple in wales.....

cool

updated with brand new design attributes by mattyb

EDITED_BY: NOn (1189456023)

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
littlespacebug - I did my training at Bath Uni (PGCE in Environmental Science) - I suggest that you should check out the the scrap store in Bristol as a Bath Spa student you are a memeber and can get awesome scrap materials. As for houses I not that much use at the moment but if you can find somewhere in Larkhall you'll have a great time - the Rose and Crown is an Awesome pub - actually it might be worth popping in and asking the Landlord or Landlady (Dale and Elsa) if they know of anyone with a flat to rent

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

becciPancake Maker
151 posts

Posted:
gelfling if you are living in chepstow now does that mean you are going to rock in the dell on sunday...someone just informed me bleeding hearts are playing so i think it may be worth a venture over that way...let me know if you going

littlespacebugBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
perfect for my art and design PGCE! youre all wonderfully helpful...
thank you hug

1,643 posts

Posted:
i'm not sure you should be advertising services for moving to Bath in the Cymru thread, excooose me! biggrin ubblol I want some people to still be in Wales when i get back please!

but in the meantime everyone can come to slovenia!

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
I am still hear . . . had a good spin yesterday outside LUSH, we had loads of drums and spinners/jugglers/staff people... then headed to the park for afternoon spin . . was good to meet a few new people...

Me and Ross went for a fire spin in front of the city hall at about 10 for an hour . . . which was really good... had an ace spin....

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Poop don't tell me I missed out on seeing Ross again! Grrrrrrrrr.... I'll bite that boy next time I see him!!!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
Tell me about it skully, when you stayed over at matts house i was less than 4 minutes away! eek

if i hadnt randomly bumped into matt outside lush i wouldnt have even known you were around. frown

Muchos thanks to matty too, it was a nice warm down from glasto, we went to coopers field for a spin and there happened to be a massive system pumping out leftfield, hundreds of portaloos and a stone circle, just like the hapy place. biggrin

A Wales gathering sounds like an awesome idea, i might be able to find space for 1 or 2 people but there is a campsite right next to coopers field anyway. we should definately go for a spin outside city hall, its a cool field with nice flat grass, a good backdrop and an ace opportunity for any filming that may want to be done. biggrin

i hope everyone is well. hug

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rossco

A Wales gathering sounds like an awesome idea, i might be able to find space for 1 or 2 people but there is a campsite right next to coopers field anyway.

is there?!?

noooo..... surely not.....

city hall would make a good backdrop indeed, i thought about it before but i was too busy freezing my arse off last time i was there and had poi....

you know where i also think might be nice?... down the bay with all those metal fountain thingies... pretty reflections baby!

434 posts

Posted:
ok, i had a look to see if i could find the campsite on the interweb somewhere, the one i think it is is Cardiff caravan park at Pontcanna fields which is just behind the sports institute and cricket ground. But it doesnt say anything about tents??? i'm sure they would allow tents, caravans and tents kinda go together dont they? confused

and the bay would be cool for filming yeah, down in the oval bit next to the opera house, imagine a wire wool burn in the middle with all those reflecty metal pillars, mmmmm. biggrin

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Becci - unfortunatly I was not at Rock in the Dell as we spent the weekend in Dorset.

Are there any regular meets around these parts?

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

434 posts

Posted:
So whos in charge of this Wales gathering then? whats the score?? any ideas when yet skully? my only objection for september is whenever the brizzle juggling convention is, speaking of which, are any of you welshies coming to that? smile

You should be paying attention to this gelf it's all very close(ish) to chippenham. hug

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
chippenham? that's in Wiltshire.

I'll be at the Bristol Juggling Convention and i think Skully has picked a weekend that doesn't clash!

Gayle.....!

434 posts

Posted:
hey i said "close(ish)", i meant a bit of emphasis on the ish bit, plus in the grand scheme of things chippenham is close to us. tongue

Good news on the brizzle front too then, is skully coming to brizzle as well then?

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
she will if i have any say in the matter!!

Gayle.....!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ross I'm looking at the second weekend in September for the Welsh invasion. I have a few people I'm waiting on giving me some info and then I'll post up a thread with all the stuff in it. I am thinking along the lines of everyone flys/drives/trains/buses into Cardiff for the friday, so that you lot can get all your bay side spinning shots. I'm not sure where we bed them down that night. Any ideas? Then for the Sat/Sun/monday we move by bus/train/car to the mountains or the Gower (depending on where I can get us a campsite thats almost free or very cheap). On the monday we throw all the foriegner out and reclaim Wales as our own. How does that sound?

As for BJC I only have 8 days leave left to last me until Feb 06 so....... I might not be able to make it. I'll have to try and build up some flexi time so I can have at least a day or so.......

434 posts

Posted:
That sounds like a plan skully, i like the idea of the gower too, my dad's got a caravan at hillend campsite in llangennith which is really nice, it sleeps 6 officially and theres loads space for tents too. biggrin

i'm sure we can find space for people in cardiff, how big is the invasion gonna be? as long as its less than 20,000 i reckon we should do fine! wink

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure of numbers yet. I have someone trying to get me a farm field in Llangennith for camping. I'm not sure yet though. I'm relying on one person chatting to a family member on that one, and no matter how much I nag him he is taking his damn time! ubblol

434 posts

Posted:
i'll speak to my old one at the weekend and see if i can prebook a weekend in september or summat! wink biggrin

i'll get some flyers made up in time for fallymouth! wink

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
I reckon the cardiff lot will be well up for it too . .

434 posts

Posted:
True my friend, very true! weavesmiley

greg and rich may be able to put a couple of people up possibly if we ask ubernicely that is! biggrin

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
I reckon soo.... I just got back froma conference in Gdansk, Poland . . . and had the pleasure of passing on a few poi moves one night to a group of Polish kids . . . they even filmed me doing some moves slowly so they could go and learn them (they only new the butterfly and weave) it was quite cool, but all the profeesors and lecturers thought it a bit wierd , but the cool ones bought me a beer and thought it was cool . . smile

434 posts

Posted:
safe as dude, how did it go, were they diggin your paper??

and if you got your teachers to buy you beer, you must be doing something right! wink biggrin

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Paper went alright no probs, was not to pleased with the content myself and so wasn't that excited by it... currently looking for a conference in australia . . . yeah had a dude from japan buying me beer which was sweet . . . even found a beer out there called canabia, strangly enough it was made from hemp and smelt very strongly of green, but not sure whether it had any effect

434 posts

Posted:
did you bring any back?? wink

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
no, did think about it.. .. should of done.... but have some absinth and some goldwasser,

434 posts

Posted:
absynth eh, dont drink too much at once, ive seen fully grown men reduced to a whimpering slurry vommity mess off that stuff..... thats why its sooo nice! wink

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
had a little spin in a park in poland too, and have the butterfly buzzsaw done and with the two stops at 3 and 9 or at 12 and 6. Loving that move it is sweet have been playing with the buzz saw fountain as well, trying to learn all four directions so i can turn whilst spinning it, I reckon that would look sweet . . .also have a few other tricks up my sleeve which I will be practising and will pass on at falmouth . . . I am awaiting my next rossco trick installment...

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Your change in avatar, though sad to see the thundercat logo to go, the hobbit is quite fitting . . .

I thought it was also time to change mine

434 posts

Posted:
Well done you! clap

as for your next lesson, ummm i dont know..... yeah i do actually, try butterfly buzzsaw fountains, they should be quite easy if you've been practicing that stuff recently, its the same as a buzzsaw fountain but in butterfly unsurprisingly. When i do it i find the beats normally land at 2,4,8 & 10 o clock, all in buzzsaw of course! biggrin

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
ok will do . . .challenge for tomorrow night

Page: ......