Forums > Technical Discussion > sorts of metal: silly question

Login/Join to Participate

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
well, got my kevlar... and now i searched some boxes here in the garage with loads and loads of metal thingies... but the problem is:

for firepoi I need stainless steel... is there ANYway I can recognize this kind of metal???

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
stainless steel is often stamped "stainless" also unlike regular steel stainless steel is usually non-magnetic. um.. if your really desperate, it doesnt give off sparks when ground with a high speed abrasive stone, it just turns black in the place it was ground. if you dont mind me asking why does it have to be stainless steel?

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Stainles steel is typically much harder than mild steel, and obviously unlike mild steel / chrome plated steel doesn't oxidise (rust), and yes non magnetic (didn't know that), just checked some. I use 1.2mm wall thickness chrome plated mild steel for all my tube poi builds, 1.5mm wall thickness duralimin for my fire dart and staff builds, to second what roberts said, you don't really need stainless for this, furthermore it will make the build harder.

mark

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
oh well... though that stainless would be the best for firepoi... I really want to make sure it doesn't fall apart when swinging biggrin

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I tried stainless on one of my heavy fire dart builds, and I do make a lot of this stuff, go for 1.2mm wall thickness for tube poi in chrome plated steel this is fairly easy to drill and get screws through, if you go to stainless then you will probably end up with 1.5mm min thickness and having to drill and tap your threads (not a bad thing) if you have engineering access.

Regarding falling apart when swinging, your style and security of hard-fixing components is very important, look at some of the stuff online here and checkout comercial poi designs, make sure you have a design that is safe.

mark

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
i use galvenized aluminum for my tubes. the things you nee to really worry about with poi are the chains, handles, and conectors. those things have the most force applyed to them. like marco said, there are plenty of boards on poi construction. make sure you test your equipment and keep your safety standards high.

roberts

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ditto

Stainless for important parts such as chain, links etc. Something easy like aluminium will be fine for the cores. Altough if you're making them and want it to be easy you could make some cethdral wicks and save the bother of the core.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

ditto

I ordered two sets of cathedrals from the HoP shop and they are fantastic.

I would recommend them to anyone wanting a "standard" fire wick for poi.

I might try some monkey fists some day, they look mighty pretty biggrin

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
just made my cathedral fold fire heads... some very good stainless steel, 6mm thick... if this gets loose im the pope, really

and im NOT the pope! biggrin

anyways, thanks for the help mates...