Clymeneymember
16 posts

Posted:
OK so there are lots of people that go to pennsic war and I know some are on this list. I would love to hear from some of you people and would be very appreciative if some could give me tips on the Art of Swinging Poi. That way I could come say hi next Pennsic and tell you in person how the tips worked out.

I acctualy Learned some of the Basics at Pennsic and it was much easier to learn when I had someone standing in front of me telling me what I was doing wrong.

I also just want to make more friends for next war just so I can go visit (I love seeing other peoples camps, so may cool things to see)

Clymeney

To forgive is divine, but revenge is so much more funWhat? When? Where? Nuts, I missed it.

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Clymeney:

I acctualy Learned some of the Basics at Pennsic and it was much easier to learn when I had someone standing in front of me

yes it always is,whats this war you speak of?

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I didn't know what it was until I looked it up. What an interesting bunch of people! Cool, but a strange way to spend a weekend.

They basically all dress up and pretend to be from before the 17th century and then wage wars between other clubs. Arrows, catapults, etc...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
Ok thats sound fun.......kinda

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Dude pples, pennsic is one of the coolest Scadian events, actually the coolest. Even though I have never gone I have seen lots of videos of it. Man thats some cool stuff hehe.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
Clymeney, Pensic is through the SCA right? Went to a few meetings, very cool stuff.

Vaperloc, streetracing huh? What do ya drive hun? Do you autocross too?

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
Heh, weekend?!?!?! Surely you jest. For me it was two weeks straight of dirt, costumes, poi, drinking, partying, fire, mayhem, shopping, and just a little bit of education. It's all about you and 10,000 of your closest friends.

You start planning for the next war on your drive home.

We met a lot of really awesome people and I have to say, it was really fun to be accosted constantly by people who saw my practice poi and were psyched to see another person who was learning to spin. Pretty much everyone pointed us at this site so I know some of 'em must be lurking around here somewhere. Really, poi is probably the coolest thing I have brought back from pennsic to date.

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

Clymeneymember
16 posts

Posted:
Pennsic is so cool. If you can take off work for a week or two in my case its realy worth it.

You can shop all day and then party all night. In my case it was spin all night with Sterlingspider who is also on this list.

Spin, he he he, spin.

Sooooo obsessed.

Sorry, ok now, If you want to know more about Pennsic feel free to ask.

Clymeney

To forgive is divine, but revenge is so much more funWhat? When? Where? Nuts, I missed it.

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Did you get a chance to meet any of the spinners from Vlad's? (Liz/Rowan) If we didn't meet you, you should stop down sometime. What are your SCAdian names? Keeping track of handles in here and real names, and dancer names, and SCA names just confuses the heck out of me. I'm not good with names to begin with...

Where were you guys camped? Where are you guys from?

Kyndamember
12 posts

Posted:
the Pennsic spinners were good this year, but it seamed like there were not as many as usual. maby because the box was closed down this year, which really sicked. i personally liked Zane, a little pierced boy. he was nice, cute, and good a the poi. i really didnt like rouen though, she was way too stuck up for me. though she is good, she seams not to learn anything new in the last year. the girl at vlads that was there on the wet chemise night that was not rouwen had a really hard time getting her poi to stay litl. that must have really sucked for hor. aoh well...maby next year ill be doing it at war! Kynda

Kynda Sorta

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Yeah, those were my poi that weren't staying lit. They were on the floor of my pavillion when it flooded, so they were more than a bit wet. (I hadn't been planning on spinning at all that night, and then they suddenly said "Quick, we need 5 more minutes of filler! The girls STILL AREN'T READY!" After watching ppl practice for a week for their performances, and then completely pulling that out of my butt, I was pretty happy with it. It was the first time I was able to sustain a BTB weave in performance without getting nervous and pulling out of it.) I ended up borrowing Rowan's and it went just fine.

Zane's really cool. Ro and I traded tricks with him all Pennsic xxx, but didn't see him that much this year. He taught me how to make flags in exchange for learning how to make chains. He got really good while he was gone.

Ro's not all that bad. She's just something of a safety-nazi, and I'm all about that. Especially in our camp where we're responsible for the goings on. If you catch her when she's not nervous about a show, and not trying to keep morons from burning our guests (Not a huge problem this War, but it was pretty bad at Pennsic XXX.), she's actually pretty cool. She taught me the basics on how to spin and how to make my own torches, and she taught a safety class at Pennsic XXX.

Kyndamember
12 posts

Posted:
ah! im sorry that your poi didnt stay lit, in the crowd we were talking about it, thinking it was a shame that they were like that. i guess the only times i have been around her, rouwen, was when she was getting ready for a show, so that might be the reason she seamed...like a bitch. also.. she might have been having a bad day.
i would love to keep talking, since i at least know what you look like. hahaha. i left the chemise contest early that night, some guy dragged me off...yummy. anyway... his majesty... Valharic was busy, so i didnt really have a reason to be there. anyway...bye bye K

Kynda Sorta

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Oh, dear. Were you one of those poor girls that they made follow his majesty around all of War? He kept trying to lose them, and at one point, I gave him a scold for leaving her standing (bored out of her skull) outside Angel's tent for quite some time. Or were you simply there to make sure that Val didn't suddenly die from a combination of the flu and over-exertion? He seemed to perk up part way through the competition, when he started getting the contestants wet, but I was still worries that he was going to go face down into some contestants bosoms... and not necessarily on purpose either.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wait, wait, wait... back the truck up for a second. Before y'all jump into the logistics of a party I wasn't at .... Please fill us in on:

1) What exactly this event was.

2) How much poi/fire there was! Could it be that there is a whole world of fire that I don't know of? (He says sarcastically.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
Hrm, who did we meet at Pennsic. Well, there was Rowan, and Zane, and Thug (the nice lady that taught us), and the woman with the beaming poi (scary scary beaming poi) who camped up in the boonies by Tyr Thalor whose name I never caught whilst sober enough to remember (wow, didn't that spound like a Romper Room list gone horribly awry) I met a couple of other people in passing, but I also met a lot of meade in passing *shrugs*.

Clymeney and I were the 2 women from House Three Skulls that were spinning the tennis ball poi with glowsticks at Mardi Gras (and everywhere else we had enough clearance really). We are both pettit brunettes with long hair. My SCA name is Lucrezia,(which Rowan had decided to shorten to Crazy) don't know what Clymeney was using at the time.

Everyone was really nice abt showing us stuff (tho most of what I heard was "AAUUGGHH these are way too light" which I now totally understand). I actually found Rowan to be really nice personally the couple of times I talked to her. Interestingly enough it seemed like Zane was in a bit of a pissing contest with everyone he spinned near, but whatever, I was probably a little drunk and misreading things.

Really, everyone was very cool and I'm just happy I didn't clock myself with the beaming poi. We should probably try to get a bunch of people together next pennsic for a fwirl. We'll probably never find a less restrictive place to spin and I'd love to meet y'all.

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

Clymeneymember
16 posts

Posted:
What Sterlingspider said.

I had so much fun, fun, fun. I had been wanting to learn to spin for 3 Years but was always too shy to ask someone who was spinning to teach me.

Finally got the courage up when I saw Thug spin, was very drunk at the time so it probably helped me get the courage up.

I liked Rowan she was nice. I just didn't get a chance to see her spin with fire, I let her borrow the Glowstick poi a few times when I saw her.

How come no one told me that spinning was so addictive? Not that it's a bad thing. I havent gotten this much exercise in years.

Next Pennsic I want to learn to swing a staff. Looks cool.

Clymeney

mirabelismember
11 posts

Posted:
Greetings!! I've been to Pennsic War the past three years, we missed this one because of money etc. Our first real big spin was at the Kamikazee Party out in front of the fort on the list field and what a time it was!! we had a blast, and it gave us confidence to do it some more. Next big spin we had was at Settmore Swamp with Wolgemut! WOW!!! That was awesome!

Its like home for us, we usually only perform fire spinning/eating/transfers etc with the SCA. Check out my pictures page and my web site for more info on the SCA and pics of us in garb, spinning, our toys etc. I also have links to the SCA pages and my local groups, along with pics we've taken at different events. I have found that the best audience is SCAers because they appreciate the art of it all. We just got back from West TX Gothic Wars and had a great time! We had a nice amphitheater to spin in and put on a nice show I'll have pics posted from that event by the end of the week! We had some great spins at that event!
If you are interested in the SCA and groups near you just check out their site www.SCA.org. We're trying to get fire accepted in our area, and we try to go around to events and participate, we've been playing for about 12 years, spinning about 1.5 years with them.

I've posted a pic of us at Pennsic XXX at the Kamikazee party in my pictures album, check it out!!! After doing gigs indoors, for clubs, parties, faires etc the SCA is still my favorite place to do it!!! We can actually tie our personas into the fire spinning which makes it more authenic We actually didnt talk to any other spinners while we were at Pennsic, unfortunately, they all seemed a bit stuck up We had a blast on our own and plan on going next year for sure!!! So, if you are interested in what we do or the SCA, please feel free to drop me a line and i'll help you out! Otherwise, we'll see you all at next years Pennsic War!!!

cheers
Mirabelis

[ 04 September 2002, 08:10: Message edited by: mirabelis ]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC...I will gladly answer your question. The SCA, Society for Creative Anachronism, are essentially medieval/renaissance re-enactors much along the lines of Civil War Re-enactors. Pennsic is held in Pennsylvania every year. Really it disguises itself as a war and is more of a fun filled, shopping friendly party where people show off skills in combat as well as all the other old arts...weaving, cooking, woodworking, brewing, you name it, it is probably there, hand done the way it was done hundreds of years ago. The event is HUGE! People come from all over to experience it.
Camps are set up and shared around different SCAdian groups which exsist throughout the country. The SCA is a society with a governing "political" group and everything. Each area of the US is broken down and all year there are small battles which culminate in the war.
It's sort of like Elizabethan England meets Burningman but without as many drugs and as much fire.
And as others mentioned, it is much longer than a weekend, running two weeks of blissful dirt and costumes.

Fire is not a primary thing there in the spinning capacity. Of course, it is there for night time heat and play, light and cooking. There are several spinners who have gone for a few years now and introduced it to many that way.

I used to be a SCAdian, very much into it in fact (I was a Brew Master), until several of the groups in this area became very political and took the "fueding" outside the sword arena and into real life. That is not what this organization is about, so I quit and have worked Ren Faires ever since!

(HI Jesse!!!! How are you sweet sister? I haven't seen you on here in so long! )

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I just came across this thread and thought I'd add my thoughts about Pennsic.

I've been in the SCA since '85 (I was 15 then) and have gone to most of the Pennsics since '86.

Pennsic is simply the greatest event/gathering there is.
If you like to fight in armor or do fencing, you can.
If you like to do archery, you can.
If you like to take classes, you can.
The shopping is great, the people watching is always fun and the nightlife can keep you hopping all night long.

2 weeks of camping in surroundings that seem right out of a film.
Cooper's Lake Campground, where Pennsic is held, has woods, hills, rivers and a lake. Great place to take walks or find a secluded place to do whatever you feel like doing.

I missed this past year, but expect to be there in 2003. Missing 2 years in a row would suck!

I can be found camping with House ICOD, on the fencing field during the Champion's Tourney, or wandering around.
My SCA name is Raphael di Angelo, but some know me better as the "Prince of Paris."

I am easy to find.

Raph