Forums > Social Chat > San Diego Marines & Slang & Spanish Language

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Any of you guys (are there 3, 4?) know a thomas medlin? or did you know him? nickname is chip... he was in san diego for awhile, i think he might have left for Japan now tho.

[ 05 October 2002, 06:15: Message edited by: Kyrian ]

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
p.s. cantus and anyone else, i like people in spite of uniforms, not because of them

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Poor Mike is gonna have to return that new nurses uniform now! Kyrian you have no heart

*runs out of the room before she kicks his arse*

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
wow......

i don't even know what's going on in my own life, hehehe. I am working on a contact info/update email right now, and will try to hav ean update post later in the day, for those who i don't talk to over email.

cute guys, however, abound. Hot guys are few and far between...... availible ones..... heh, where did they all gooooooo??

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

2,905 posts

Posted:
Dude Kyrian, get your life situated dun worry about guys right know, were out there, you just have to wait and be patient if Mr. Right is smart he will find you. Have some faith

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund Phule:
Dude Kyrian, [. . .]
didn't i tell you to invent us a new term for chicks besides chicks, or you might get duded too, besides as part of mixed company dudes? huh, Kyri? Ray's doing the downright usual here, the normal occasional chick-duding.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

2,905 posts

Posted:
bah sush she knows what I mean!!!!

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
pshaw Ray, sorry if ya got worried,

your post & duding Kyrian is totally ok.

see, weeks ago i e-mailed her and asked as a kind of fun quest that she come up with something other than "dude" for us all to use when addressin chix, as her contribution to da whole Gen Y-driven American lingo.

anything besides "yo babe," which i sometimes use with happy results tho anyone sez that at their own risk! see, "yo chick" doesn't work, and i noticed most of us who use an alternative technique use only one: "yo gurl." but even "gurl" instead of "girl" isn't as cool as "dude" instead of "boy."

so we're waitin for Kyrian's brilliance & creativity to solve this one for our future!

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
among my midwest friends we say s'up sexy, or just use dude also. and in teh third person chix are chix. I will try and find something for you tho firemike.

oh, the other thing is we say chica a lot. that's what i personally say most of the time.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrian:

cute guys, however, abound. Hot guys are few and far between...... availible ones..... heh, where did they all gooooooo??

The complaint I hear from women is that if a man is 1) attractive 2) has good habits 3) likes to communicate and is easy to talk to and 4) has some fashion sense...

He already has a boyfriend.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
ok, Spanish MikeDoc,

chica(s) = chick(s), right? tho actually more flattering coz

chica(s) = "cutie(s)"

have to admit i don't use it much, maybe i'd like to, tho around here it would be more self-consciously ethnic than in the frozen lakelands over the Rockies, or even north in Santa Cruz.

so if you want a chica, MikeDoc, do you drop one of those nice qualities to let her know you're available? (* grin *)

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

2,905 posts

Posted:
hehe too true I am working on my fashon sence but I will never be open!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by FireMike:
ok, Spanish MikeDoc,

chica(s) = chick(s), right? tho actually more flattering coz

chica(s) = "cutie(s)"

Ok, this is sort of complicated. First of all, in Spain the word "chico" or "chica" can also mean "small."

Then, in certain Latin-American countries, "chico" or "chica" means "boy" or "girl" (generally referring to ages 10 to mid-late 20's). To give you an idea, "chico" probably translates best as "guy," although it's a bit more age-specific than that.

Then, some people use it as a real slang, just as we can say "girl" or "girl". You know, it depends on your tone of voice. The same word means different things. It's like the difference between "a 13-year-old girl" and "you go, girl!" Except "chica" is more akin to "chick." And it's used like that more by Gringos than Latinos.

Oh, and in Spain, instead of "chico" or "chica," you use "muchacho" or "muchacha."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
MikeGinny,

but since my old Joja (Georgia days), & here in SoCal for sure, muchacho/a(s) (really don't hear those words much any more, i think, even among Spanish speakers in the main subcultures around here, who are goodlooking are chico/a as an adjective? or am i confusing that with guapo/a which i don't seem to hear much either?

yes, chiquito/a rings as "small" in my sense of it.

funny to hear you say gringos like Kyrian, & whateverdaheck i am, considering expanding my use of chico/a at Kyri's suggestion, use it more as slang for younger dude/ chick than Latinos!

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
to true about the guys mike.
sometimes they have boyfriends too.

i use chica to mean chick, but i'm from the midwest. would that stand out in cali?

when are you coming bakc to cali mike?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Kyri,

(* grin *) thread name change, yeah!

love your sig location: "From: Santa Cruz, CA | Home of the mayor who hands out marijuana"

BIG BIG HUG. Hey, Cassie sent an order for a humongous one for you, in advance, when you come down to this end of Cali.

did ya ever get to San Francisco for a demo?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Wow, Kyri, you have political people who hand out pot too. Small world i guess.

Ray, if all else fails you can use white gas. It just stinks alot, and lights up faster and may be little more dangerous, but hey, the fire arts are all about danger.

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
quote:
p.s. cantus and anyone else, i like people in spite of uniforms, not because of them
That's a good one girl, you make me proud!

BTW did you know that my friend Wheeler whom you spoke with is often referred to as "The Mayor" of Santa Cruz? Yeah he knows everyone, it's like he's on tour out there. He says when I move there I'm going to be the first lady, i responded by saying I would rather take over as Mayor and find someone to be "first man" or "first dude" as the case may be!

FireMike: as for the new word besides babe, etc, i like it when guys say "hey beautiful" it sounds more grown-upish and sorta black&white if ya know what i mean...classic.

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

2,905 posts

Posted:
Hey Beutiful, where is that updated pic?

LapaireSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
She's making it all up Ray, she looks the same

----
Surgeon General's Warning: This post makes absolutely no sense unless you look at the posts way the hell back.

When there is no place that you have decided to call your own then no matter where you go you are always heading home -Soseki

2,905 posts

Posted:
Bah I still want an updated pic

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGinny:
Ok, this is sort of complicated. First of all, in Spain the word "chico" or "chica" can also mean "small."

Then, in certain Latin-American countries, "chico" or "chica" means "boy" or "girl" (generally referring to ages 10 to mid-late 20's). To give you an idea, "chico" probably translates best as "guy," although it's a bit more age-specific than that.

Then, some people use it as a real slang, just as we can say "girl" or "girl". You know, it depends on your tone of voice. The same word means different things. It's like the difference between "a 13-year-old girl" and "you go, girl!" Except "chica" is more akin to "chick." And it's used like that more by Gringos than Latinos.

Oh, and in Spain, instead of "chico" or "chica," you use "muchacho" or "muchacha."

Well you are kinda right hun but kinda wrong too.

Speaking spanish since I can remember trust I know.

Basically he is right in the first paragraph and in the second even in the third but the last one is not quite correct...

Muchacho (a) is more widely said by south americans than any other part of the spanish speaking world.

Chico means like a young 'dude' as does chica in Mexico. It is used for size mainly in Mexico and most of Central America (mexico to panama for the uncultured souls)...

I dont know where the attractiveness bit came from because it indicates age and size more so than attractiveness in all the spanish speaking community. I know though that in Cali it has become bastardized to an extent where the word means a totally different thing and does relate to attractiveness...

I dont knwo I think these Americans are inventing their own english spanish which is not even spanglish and what is really fucked up is places like Miami...

They dont even get the tenses right on television they put the past in the present and combine both in different sentences making for an interesting news report where you dont quite know WTF he is talking about...

Much love, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

2,905 posts

Posted:
Dun matter where the root came from chick to me is a female dude to me is a male, now when I say dude I also say it asexually meaning that dude or man is just a word thrown in the scentance to get a person attention. It is the english language it dont have to make sence

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
If we're gonna start talkin' bout the spanish language and all, I'll put in my two cents... chica and chico is boy and girl- lots of people in latin america and here use it to talk about "chicks" or "dudes" - Mostly it's used between friends.. hi chiquita, hola chicas....etcetera... Like in Spain, it can also be used for size, but that's an adjetive and has nothing to do with chica used as a noun... Also common around here and other areas is chava or chavo.... morro or morra... they all mean the same thing really, which is a girl or a guy, a chick or a dude... Muchachos and muchachas are used on a more formal level.. that's what I use when talking more "professional" or "formal" spanish... It is however, used as much in Mexico as in Spain...

Kyri- I don't think there'd be any problems you sayin chica up in SC... we always used it and it's nicer than saying hi guys... (especially when you're talkin' to all girls!) anyway, I imagine you're lovin it up there... Are you living on campus?? Hope you're havin fun in my old homeland and enjoying it for all its beauty and excitement!!

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
I think we were writin' at the same time here Drome... Though living in Cali almost all my life, I gotta stick up for my hometown a bit and say that any meaning of attractiveness from the word chica is a guy gettin' excited 'cause a good lookin' one walks by... Have to say that's exactly the same as in Mexico when a guy refers to a good looking girl.. There's nothing defining attractiveness in the word chica, but generally, the majority of the women in the world are attractive in their distinct ways, so maybe the two go hand in hand?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Possibly!

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Page: