Page:
Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
I used to do BreakDancing a couple of years ago, then took up firespinning because of an injury (which is better now but i love firespinning so i aint going back to breakdancing). Then one day i thought of incorperating them both into one form. I have been trying to do throws then trying frontflips and catching but i can never seem to land the frontflip in time to catch the staff or if i do throw it up high enough i cant seem to keep balanced. There are other things i do, one handed handstands while spinning the staff. That sort of basic stuff. I have to say that i am enjoying it alot more with both incorperated but i am getting alot more brusies. I have figured out that whatever i do, someone has done it before me so i thought, 'why dont i just save myself the time of thinking about it and ask for help from someone who can do it.' So is there anyone out there who has done some of this stuff before. I would love some information about this sort of stuff.

Im thinking about joining an acrobatics place then going from there. Anyone got any better ideas?

Thanks all ubblove

I can't wait to die, I'm going to Hell. They have fire down there!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
heya jai

try out these searches. might be something usefull in there

https://www.homeofpoi.com/search/search.pl?Terms=acro&x=0&y=0

https://www.homeofpoi.com/search/search.pl?Terms=acrobatics&x=0&y=0

i'd love to get into acro twirling

must find baton twirlers and drag them to the circus school

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
hopefully bams will see this thread, as she has some beautiful moves with acro using a staff :bliss:

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Jai - Staff

Im thinking about joining an acrobatics place then going from there. Anyone got any better ideas?

that is truly your best bet.

its what i'm doing (but i'm very bad at getting my arse into that gym so its slow progress!).

other tips are:

watch baton twirling videos
ask bambam for tips
ask mcp for tips
ask bender for tips
ask t&b for tips
make stuff up and come back and give us tips

good luck smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ChumpyBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
A mate bet be 10pounds that I couldn't do a cartwheel while spinning staff. I only had three goes though....and I got it on the fifth. But there is definate potential in trying it that way....

Health is a secondary consideration when you have a lifestyle to maintain

Not seen a Banana do Double staff in the woods? You obviously weren't at that party!

'my guess would be staffers dont waste time talking bollox' - strugz

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
BamBam said she would host a staff/acro workshop at PLAY festival this summer: https://www.playfestival.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=19

It's quite a way off but it might give you some ideas if you were to come.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Check out parkour (free running) sites. I think that sport amazing as it looks on its own would blow your mind combined with fire.

Grow old but never grow up

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
pk rocks

remind me to show what i learned in ed dec...

biggrin

Love is the law.

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
Ive never heard of parkour. Im going to go look it up and see what it is like.

*2 minutes later*

OMG, that is some crazy ass stuff!!! but it is all based in the UK. What about Australia? Well im going to download all the videos i can find and go from there. it looks mad!

Thank you sooooooo much feartine!!!

And to everyone who has helped me!!!

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
In theroy there should be a vid being put up which has abit of acrobatics and staff. If i rember most of it's cartwheels and spinning but it's getting abit old now. The stuff i've been working on more recently is combining contact with acrobatic but it being winter is making it slow progress. Anyhow my latest idea on this was to do horzontal foot contact and try a skip over the staff in the same why in brake dancing you skip over you leg, then maybe take it you into a headstand and keep it spinning with your feet. That should keep you busy for abit I think smile

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
tim your mad

that is all

smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: Jai - Staff

I used to do BreakDancing a couple of years ago, then took up firespinning because of an injury

friend, i notice that you took up twirling due to injury - just want you to know that twirling can be just as heinous on the body, particularly if you pursue an acrobatic routine.
performing a roundoff twirling move, i broke my leg in 2003 so bad that i still walk wonky and can't participate in any training for another 6 months... be careful, yeah? hug

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
ohhh, really? damn that is bad. i will definatly be more cafeful now. dont want to go injure myself.

god, this is what i love about HOP!!! People ive never met before in my life care enough about me to help me through anything!!! God i love you guys. And girls too!!! Girls are good!!!

BrynSILVER Member
68 posts

Posted:
U know what I think would look amazing......no handed cartwheels with a staff, lol i cant do it but would be interested to know if anyone could

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i have a picture of mcp upsidedown with no hands smile

i could draw a stick on it?

Love is the law.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
bender can, as can i whn i've pracctised the au sem mao loads....

aidan.... rolleyes

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

BrynSILVER Member
68 posts

Posted:
if anyone has any videos or pics let me know smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
quite sure bender does it in his joy of staff video, have a look in the video forum

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

BrynSILVER Member
68 posts

Posted:
ok cheers mate

BrynSILVER Member
68 posts

Posted:
he does indeed! impressive!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
where are these pictures of me aidan? And why haven't I seen them? tsk tsk.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i'll have to scan in the pk snaps i took.

i have you mid ariel cartwheel.

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
but I can't do ariel cartwheels?

Excited now!

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

BrynSILVER Member
68 posts

Posted:
hmm i think i need someone to teach me

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
practise cartwheels loads. Develop a good jump height. Do box splits loads to get extra flexibility.

Then practise one handed cartwheels loads.

The practise running into ariels with crash mats availible. This is my progression. I'm still on the butterfly kick phase, rather than proper no handed cartwheel.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i have upsidee down pictures of Mech if anyone's interested.
:lightning cracks:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
There is a awsome video of acro here I like that...only problem is spining like that, your wicks usually cant handle that much speed and they go out frown still worth it imo. Some nice stuff in there to work on tho. smile

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
it really was my plan to add new acrobatics two years ago, but then i blew my knee out during a show. jumping over my staff, one foot found flat ground, the other didn't. my left knee locked up, then i felt it pop. it went backward, then to the inside of my body. i dropped. (no, this is not a warning to you not to try acrobatics, or a public safety announcement.) the diagnosis was torn ACL, torn meniscus, and ripped bursa. within two months, i was back at it. i am able to perform my handspring (forward only) and my one-hander cartwheel and one-hander roundoff. now that it's been awhile, and given that i never perform without my kneebrace, i intend to add staff point-of-contact handsprings and roundoffs. the no-hander cartwheel is out of the question, i'm afraid, as it requires too much speed, and i can no longer sprint. good luck in youe endeavors, my friends. just posted this story to tell you that so long as you're stubborn enough, you can bounce back from anything, so don't let it stop you.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
Acrobats with staff?

Two words:

Wu Shu.

And if you want to do aerial cartwheels, go to Tricks Tutorials. I could tell you how it's done, but I've had enough of trying to teach people.

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
www.trickstutorials.com/forum

that is the best site you could possibly find

I used to do some acrobatics with the staff but as xtreme martials arts, not as juggling.

I can do 540 kick while holding the staff, or jump and twist 720 with the staff pointed out.
I think XMA acrobatics are more suitable for juggling than tumbling.

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
www.trickstutorials.com

aerial with doublestaff is wicked.

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

Page: