Forums > Social Chat > Things that make you go hmmmmmmm

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So I have portobello mushrooms in my fridge and turned and asked PWB, when a mushroom goes bad does it grow a fungus?

He just looked at me and laughed...alot.

And for some reason we do these things in my dance class too.
So, what silly, funny, weird thing that makes you go hmmmm have you got?
biggrin

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
this thread?

*ducks*

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Flid?

*drakes*

kiss

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Jon's Jokes?

*mallards*

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Where Pele goes between posts. And what makes her stick her head out and say Hi to us. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the word 'it' is a weird one.

lewis carroll pointed it out to me.

it goes something like:

Written by: lewis carroll, literary genius

`I beg your pardon!' said the Mouse, frowning, but very politely. `Did you speak?'

`Not I!' said the Lory, hastily.

`I thought you did,' said the Mouse. `I proceed. "Edwin and Morcar, the earls of Mercia and Northumbria, declared for him; and even Stigand, the patriotic archbishop of Canterbury, found it advisable --"

`Found what?' said the Duck.

`Found it,' the Mouse replied rather crossly: `of course you know what "it" means.'

`I know what "it" means well enough, when I find a thing,' said the Duck: `it's generally a frog, or a worm. The question is, what did the archbishop find?'

The Mouse did not notice this question, but hurriedly went on...

and then there's that thing about the jam...

Written by: mr charles dodgson

I'm sure I'll take you with pleasure!' the Queen said. `Twopence a week and jam every other day.'

Alice couldn't help laughing, as she said `I don't want you to hire me -- and I don't care for jam.'

`It's very good jam,' said the Queen.

`Well, I don't want any to-day, at any rate.'

`You couldn't have it if you did want it,' the Queen said. `The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday -- but never jam to-day.'

`It must come sometimes to "jam to-day",' Alice objected.

`No, it ca'n't, said the Queen. `It's jam every other day: to-day isn't any other day, you know.'

`I don't understand you,' said Alice. `It's dreadfully confusing!'

`That's the effect of living backwards,' the Queen said kindly...

confused ubbrollsmile smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Scientifically speaking, mold can grow on other molds and fungii, but it still doesn't explain why we bother to refrigerate mushrooms, or bleu cheese...what's the worst that can happen, it gets moldier?

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I don't like putting blue cheese in the fridge.It tastes nicer when it's all squidgy and warm. As does Brie.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I like putting mushrooms in the fridge. They taste beautiful raw and cold in a salad. Much nicer than room temperature, at least.

But then I guess they're pretty good cooked too. How indecisive of me.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
The other day i was chattin to Minimaniac on our mobiles.... he started to complain he couldnt find something... so i asked what... and he said "my mobile" hehe xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I once lost my glasses...

I found them. In front of my eyes.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MasiSILVER Member
resident spelunker...cave bugs!!!!
152 posts

Posted:
i once lost a book and tore up the entire house looking for it. everyone was asking me what it looked like and i kept saying it had a green spine. "well where do you usually keep it?" to which i replied "on my bookshelf, but i know it's not there or else i would have seen it"

"wait you mean 'this' green book?"

haha--was on my shelf the entire time

Birthday Countdown:

ubbrollsmile 23 in 106 days ubbrollsmile

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
my cat's breath smells like cat food.

Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I've looked for books before too, and when I was asked what it looked like all I could think to answer was "A book. Front cover, back cover, lots of pages in between."

It didn't help but it was the last place I looked for it.

I refridgerate bleu cheese because it is normally in a sauce wink

And NYC..it's random, much like me! wink

Why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

Why are packages on a ship called CARgo?

Pele

ISMELLSMOKEnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Things that make me laugh include my friend and her boyfriend being all pretentious and buying things like olive bread and trout when they're both skint students (I'd explain in another thread but it'd just get me enraged and boring)

Things that actually make me go hmmm include reading different theories on evolution and strawberry bootlaces (those yummy sweeties!) ubblove

! Demanding the impossible !

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
Mushrooms degenerate and turn into black slime if you don't refrigerate them. That or they turn into shriveled little dry things, depending on the conditions and what kind of shroomies you're talking about.

The little dry things, btw, are perfect for mushroom soup. They're slightly fermented (not enough to cause a problem), which intensifies their flavor as does drying.

Throw away the black slime. Don't breathe near it if you can help.

Oddly enough, I don't care for raw mushrooms. Partly this is due to just not eating them for years and years, because I cooked for (among others) some people who were immunocompromised, and raw mushrooms are not safe for them. And once I found out how they grow I got the icks when I ate them raw.

I like to sautee them in butter with a little garlic. Maybe some scallions. Sometimes a touch of tamari if I'm feeling Asian that day (no, the butter doesn't go with that). Or sometimes I sautee them in olive oil with garlic and sage. Had some of those for lunch today. YUMMMM.

/Offtopic

Pele, if it wasn't in the last place you looked for it, wouldn't you feel foolish? "I found it, but I decided to look a few more places just to be sure."

Actually that's a Zen thing. The two major errors in studying Zen are 1) Seeking the donkey that you're riding upon, and 2) having realized that you're seeking the donkey that you're riding upon, failing to dismount and continue seeking it.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

ISMELLSMOKEnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
lolsign @ donkey

I love mushrooms in many forms, brilliant with garlic, lovely with cous cous, better with magic! wink

! Demanding the impossible !

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
The Zen thing - oh yes, how many of us do that, in the little things and the big things in life.

Trippie asked me one night "How many eigths are there in an ounze?" Hmmmm... I wonder rolleyes

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
why are there so many discussions about mushrooms on here?!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
you've obviously never met any UK spinners!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
In Summary: Mushrooms good....

My girlfriends colleague once asked me "you know the sky, does that go, like, all around the earth?"

Stupid fecking dance students...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
last xmas i was heading off on a snowboarding trip at about 4 in the morning. on my way out the door i realised i still had the tv remote control in my hand (been boozing with my neighbours all night, bad girl spank and hadn't been to bed) so i hurried back in to leave the remote inside

conversation with self went something like this:

"i'll just leave this here, it's an unlikely spot, i know, but i'm confuzzled and in a hurry"

(i'll add here that i'm a gemini by the way)

"no Lisa, don't put it there, you'll NEVER remember that you've put it there"

"of course i will, it's SUCH an unlikely spot, it'll be IMPOSSIBLE to forget i put it there"

needless to say i still haven't found it....

places i've searched are: presses, drawers, wardrobes, under & down the side of every piece of furniture i own, the fridge, freezer, oven, washer, dryer, the bin, the loo cistern......

VANISHED!!! into thin air......

ubblol

(if anyone can think of anywhere i may have overlooked, please, i'd love to hear it. still sooooo anxious to find out where the little f*cker went to..... ubbloco )

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I know this is an old one, but: if pro is the opposite of con, then what's the opposite of progress?

Why is it that they have braille on the *DRIVE-UP* ATM? (I get why they have it on the walk-up ones).

Why is it called a "bathroom" if it doesn't necessarily have a bath in it?

Did you hear about the guy who got pulled over by a cop who told him that it was a one-way street? He said, "But officer, I was only going one way!"

Is "disgruntled postal worker" a redundant phrase?

For that matter, if "disgruntled" means that you're unhappy, does "gruntled" mean that you're satisfied?

Why do stores offer "free gifts"? What, is this as opposed to a "not-free gift?

Lordy, it's not very pretty up in that brain of mine, is it?

-Mike

456 posts

Posted:
Lighting: because they use the same ATM structure for both walk-up and drive-up ATMs, which makes them cheaper to make and maintain.

"Disgruntled" - I looked this up one time. This particular 'dis-' isn't a negative, but a habitual intensifier. "Gruntle" is just what it sounds like, a little grunt -- what we'd call a grumble. So a "disgruntled" employee is one who grumbles all the time (or is subject to periodic fits of grumbling).

I hate the phrase 'free gifts'. By rights they should be taken out and hung [HANGED!]/for the cold blooded murder of the English tongue.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Strawberry Bootlaces? If you are reduced to eating shoe ties I will send you some food! wink

Faberge....I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who does that! I am still missing a dress, 2 cd's and a bar of soap (don't ask! ubblol )

Blind people take Taxi's too you know! tongue

As for the mushrooms, I know what happens when they go bad, it was the humor of the statement that I wanted to share. Silly people. :rolleyes:

I just had lunch. I am very gruntled.

Hmmmmmm.....sounds dwarvish if you ask me! wink I must remember to use it in the future.
EDITED_BY: Pele (1106936402)

Pele

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
When they ship styrofoam, what do they pack it in?

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
what happens with the bits and pieces of a building that is being demolished? where do they go?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

Blind people take Taxi's too you know! tongue

Yeah, but the ATM's on the driver's side.

Yes, I know, I know...someone could drive them to the ATM and then they'd get out and go to it.

-Mike

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
when you take a taxi, do you sit in the front seat? Usually, I'm in the car behind the driver, even if he has no other passengers.

456 posts

Posted:
When you walk into the front door of a church, why are you suddenly in the back?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: spritie

when you take a taxi, do you sit in the front seat? Usually, I'm in the car behind the driver, even if he has no other passengers.

Me too Spritie. Many cab drivers won't even let you sit in the front.
See...this is a thread about things that make you go hmmmmmm..... wink

Pele

Page: