Forums > Social Discussion > What would happen on HOP if there was a major terrorist attack?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I thought about this last night in bed. What would happen on HOP if terrorists successfully carried out a major terrorist attack in the middle of London, or any other city where there is a high HOPper population density ( wink ). Im sure that that would be a fairly hefty blow to HOP, which Im sure it would recover from overtime.

The chance of having so many well known and loved people all never post again would be wierd and Im sure that almost everyone on here will have known someone that had died, wether it be from actually meeting them, or just speaking to them on here.

and to cheer everyone up after this macarbre thought...Ive created a little poll for you all.

smile

EDITED_BY: Unregistered (1106757236)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
err...

Love is the law.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well Jon, if there is a major terrorist attack in London now!... I'm blaming you! Better watch out for Bush! wink

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i voted!!! but i seem to be the only one...

er... redface *runs away and hides*

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i reckon it would only be really bad if say clapham got hit in the middle of may.

you'd have to have quite a lot of blowy-uppy stuff to take out the whole of london...

by the way, my socks are on my feet - does that mean they're coming for me next?

umm

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Nuclear? Atomic? Hydraulic?

Something like that?

Would Terrorists ever use nukes?

confused

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
would the terrorists ever use nukes?

i think they woul use "dirty bombs" ya know small nukes, well before they ever got one like the one the US droped on japan,

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yes. But as The Power of Nightmares stated repeatedly, that the American Government, The Iraqi Government (under Saddam Hussein) and Al Quaeda have all independantly come to the same conclusion:

That dirty bombs would only cause minor casualties (5 max) as the radiation is dispersed so much by the explosion.

smile

If anyone who also saw it could back me up or correct me, then that woud be lovley.

Ta.
EDITED_BY: Unregistered (1106758784)

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I honestly believe a Nuclear attack is waiting to happen, i know this sounds crazy but just how easy is it to happen, say a terrorist makes his way across from wherever by car, which is relatively easy to disappear in, goign across borders in unobvious places and then say makes it to france, gets in evena rowing boat or some fishing boat lookalike and make it to some tiny port or dock/pier in hastings or something, then drives up to london and presses a button, it is incredibly easy and im sure it would only take up the space of a car boot. I sometimes get odd feelings, like when walking in leicester square that we could suddenly see a large white flash any second, its so possible and really quite freaky

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
yeah, such a weird thought that at any second everything in front of you could dissapear in to the ground or just blow up. when you think of it in terms of places you know it makes you realise the enormity of it all over again...

strong-bad pop up book,

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
there is a section in the hitch hikers guide about that, realising that everything is gone. and its startlingly true.

If you see the flash, its already too late.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
you know, i was thinking that as i wrote it.

the way he has to think of macdonalds before it seems real. lol, genious.

strong-bad pop up book,

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
The sock thing..... I voted somewhere else..... I think you have them stuffed down your pants to impress the ladieeeeeeeeeeees! ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Jon, are you more scared of a terrorist attack in the wake of September 11?

Because before that you had just as much chance (ie, slim to zero) of being blown up by an IRA bomb in England.

Never worry sunshine. I'm not saying some sort of attack or unpleasantness won't happen, it probably will at some stage, but you're not going to solve anything by worrying about it.

And if you are sad at the prospect of losing friends... make sure you tell those people that you will miss, that you will miss them biggrin hug

Getting to the other side smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"Jon, are you more scared of a terrorist attack in the wake of September 11?"

Nope.. im scared of losing my friends.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i dont know if this will make much sence but....

you are talking about major terrorist attacks in london, when only 10 years ago, london was under a constant attack from Irish liberalists....

Constant bombing, and terror campains did destory and mar lots of the nations capital, as it did in scotland, Northern Ireland, and in the uk as a whole, look at the damage that happened in Machester

20 july 1982

24th April 1993

machester bombing

i would, and am worried about not just people in london, but many people around the world that i could not protect, those people who have been good to me, and i would try to protect them as best i could....

since i have joined the hop community i have found it rather strange that i have built up such a group of friends like jon, and other, who i trust, and who take my advice and word onboard...no one has really one this before as i was badly bullied at school and high school, so its starnge

but as for a terrorist attack, there will be one, i have no doubt, and no matter how many people you put on security, if some one belives in what they are doing and wats to do it they will find a way to do it

see 9.11

Step (el-nombrie)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Fully agree Spanner.

It's the Patriot Acts and Anti-Terrorism Acts that I fear the most.

Jon, I was referring to the consequences (ie, losing your friends) when I said terrorist attack. Rather than the attack itself.

Getting to the other side smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ah..
in which case the answer is still Nope. smile

unless Terrorists are planing an attack in Canterbury....

umm

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unregistered

I thought about this last night in bed. What would happen on HOP if terrorists successfully carried out a major terrorist attack in the middle of London, or any other city where there is a high HOPper population density ( wink ). Im sure that that would be a fairly hefty blow to HOP, which Im sure it would recover from overtime.

Yes. It would certainly be tragic if there were a major terrorist attack similar to 9/11 in a city that actually mattered like London.

That would be horrible.

ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
My sockies are on my footsies

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

If you see the flash, its already too late.

(Unless it's really really small, like a mouse shining a torch in your eyes)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
As far as what would happen, maybe HOP could establish a 'survivor thread,' and everyone who's OK, or knows that someone is OK could chime in. Just to keep things clear, I would reserve posting for those who live near the afflicted area, to keep things from getting chaotic.

As far as the likelyhood of a major attack, capable of taking out an area the size of London, it would most likely have to be nuclear or chemical in nature. The number of nuclear weapons that have gone missing from the former Soviet Union is alarming. But because they haven't been used yet also suggests they are in somewhat stable hands. Building them isn't too difficult, fortunately, acquiring uranium is.
Smuggling such a weapon in would be easy. I'm not sure about the Isle, but the US has one of the largest 'unprotected' borders in the world. And there's not nearly enough Coast Guard to inspect a tenth of the people who dock on our shores, even with the Patriot Act in place.

Besides, if I were in London, I wouldn't worry. Terrorists like Bush only attack nations with large oil reserves. wink

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Prometheus

But because they haven't been used yet also suggests they are in somewhat stable hands.

confused I thought the sort of person who would steal or buy nuclear weapons would have to be pretty damn unstable, actually!

Seriously though.. who'd have them? Countries - this would be bad because countries can make war on other countries, and if they have nukes in ther arsenal then someone's going to be pretty damn screwed.. Terrorists - that's a pretty censored scary thought, obviously... Collector - keeps them next to his stamp album and matchbox car collection..?

Who did you mean by this? I'm sure I just don't understand. I'm terrible at international politics.
EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1106833418)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
There's a great line in the movie 'Peacemaker.' where someone says "I'm not afraid of the man that wants 10 nuclear weapons. I'm terrified of the man who wants just one."

Countries are less likely to use nuclear force, because they know they'd be obliterated by other countries. An individual could make a profound attack and be untargeted as a result. Now if Iran has bought a dozen nukes, I don't necessarily consider that stable, but it's far better than one disgruntled terrorrist with one atomic device in the back of a U-Haul.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Right, I see what you mean

Thoreau

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
where were your socks jon?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Jon, I take it you're smoking again? ubblol

The same would happen as did with the Tsunami. Very quickly it was established who was in the affected areas, and people on HoP got in contact with them very quickly and reported back that they were safe or whatever. To be honest, a nuke in London would probably kill most of the servers that we access the net through anyway, so HoP may not even be an option.

I'm no more afraid now than I was when the Brighton bomb exploded, or when one of our local MP's was carbombed. To be fair though, I live in Cornwall, which is the least likely area to be bombed (once they've taken Plymouth out, obviously) in any attack, terrorist or conventional, so frankly i couldn't care less. biggrin You guys in London should all move here if yer scared. I'll take good care of ya. *rubs hands in a sinister way*

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

dafunkymahnmember
54 posts

Posted:
It is not the country that has a nuke that you should worry about, you should worry about the country that has a nuke and can not find it!!

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Written by:

As far as the likelyhood of a major attack, capable of taking out an area the size of London, it would most likely have to be nuclear or chemical in nature.

naw, dude, it'd be biological. i don't mean those whimpy anthrax attacts that struck the US shortly after 9/11, i mean real viruses with potential to do damage. personally, i'm assuming that iraq has wepons grade smallpox. that'd whipe out about half of london, then it'd spread everywhere else.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
benefit of living in a hole on the edge of the western world surrounded by ocean number one:

nobody would be stupid enought to attack us before sydney!

draw back number one: when all of london is wiped out and there is no HoP server i'll have nobody to talk to

*think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts*

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Page: