Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
I am sorry to report to you all that I have broken my very first staff.

It was my first staff and I've been spinning it like a nutter since November. I was very fond of it frown

Is this simply an expected part of a spinners life, a rite of passage as it were. A mere milestone on the way to maturity?

Or pehaps it is a sinister supernatural omen about something terrible about to happen in my life eek

On a more practicle note folks... I note that it has, more or less, split cleanly into two.... perhaps I can add handles to each piece and do other tricks with those bits, while I'm waiting to get a replacement???

ps. the moral of this story is.... never do the throwey-up-in-the-air-followed-by-drop-kick-thing on a staff that turns out to be made of wood! rolleyes

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
frown Sorry to hear about your loss.... I think that the destruction or loss of your first toy is a right of passage, and a sign that it's perhaps time to spread your wings and try some new toys, as you have suggested. Now, you have a set of clubs (you'll need to modify the handles), or if you get more wick, a set of doubles smile

I had my first stick go missing at a multi day festival a few years ago. The sad truth is, I had been neglecting that staff because I was obsessed with doubles and crosses, so I think the staff left me to find a better home and be loved again. ? So, I never really mourned its loss, but felt slightly sentimental about it being gone. I hope it had many happy burns with its new owner.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

I had my first stick go missing at a multi day festival a few years ago. The sad truth is, I had been neglecting that staff because I was obsessed with doubles and crosses, so I think the staff left me to find a better home and be loved again. ? So, I never really mourned its loss, but felt slightly sentimental about it being gone. I hope it had many happy burns with its new owner.

Aww... frown thats so sad.
It reminds me about that movie with a lost kitten.

i hope your right about it having happy burns with a new owner instead of it being found by "the wrong people" and sold into prostitution frown

That would be just awfull

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
i remember breaking my first staff i made...
Its still in my room as a keep sake like when boarders put there's on the wall...
i think its a right of passage plus you get to make/buy a new one....yay.

mike.c

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Mines still going, it spawned a generation of staffs, with an impressive lineage, lovingly constructed 6 foot 1.5mm wall thickness marine grade duralamin with nearly 3 foot of 4inch kevlar on each end cored for much longer burning times, its starting to die now though, and I can't decide whether to rebuild the heads or to let it die a natural death,

looking for suggestions

mark
EDITED_BY: marco (1106850207)

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Hey Mark,

I vote for keeping it going!

Generations from now your heirs will be thankfull.

(ps. my NEW STAFF has arrived biggrin)