Forums > Social Chat > Song to sing for audition?

Login/Join to Participate

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Our local (and very successful, actually) theatre group is doing West Side Story in May. The pre audition workshop was on Saturday where we learnt a dance, and we sang the song 'America' for those of you who are familiar with it. Just to get introduced to the film/show.

The actual auditions are on Feb 5th & 6th and we will learn a new dance. Now this is the part where you guys come in.... we also have to sing a song of our choice. Any song we like that shows your personality and range.

In summary of my singing ability. I have a pretty decent voice I guess, I had singing lessons for 3 years, quit about 2 years ago. It hasn't deteriorated as much as I thought it would. I've been told it's still very strong and I can belt out any heartwrenching ballad I like. But is it apporpriate to sing a heartwrenching ballad when you're auditioning? I don't know. I can sing well in tune and my range is fine.

For the last few days I've had my mind set on a song called 'Falling' by Missy Higgins. But now I'm not too sure.

It's been varying a lot, at one stage I was thinking another Missy Higgins song called 'Nightminds'. Then I was thinking of Alannis Morrisette's 'Head over feet'.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of what song I can sing? It's too hard to decide. 90's like songs are pretty good, like that 'Last Kiss' song by Pearljam but I'm not sure.

Thanks, and apologies if that summary sounded like I was bignoting. I didn't mean it to seem that way, I just thought it might help a bit?

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
DONT DO ROCK/POP MUSIC....

I am an amateur theatrical type and I sit on audition panels. If someone came in and sung a pop song i would think that their heart wasn't in the musicals... I can give you a few tips...

I presume youre auditioning for Maria? Then sing a song from a musical such as "Chess", the song would be, i dunno, try "Heaven help my heart" from chess, or you could do "I dont know how to love him" from "Jesus Christ Superstar", there's loads out there...

Tip - for an amateur production, you can go for the better known Lloyd Webbers and Les Mis, but if you ever go pro, avoid.

In short: Keep it relevant to the character you're going for, make sure it suits your voice (a belter doing "memory" hardly ever sounds right) and make sure you breathe properly...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I'm not going for lead, definately not. It's my first time trying out for this theatre company. I'm not aiming high. My aim is chorus, but even so theere are so many girls trying out so many are going to miss out.

Plus, Maria's voice is way too high. I could never make some of the notes she hits.

I wrote on the form of what i wanted to try out for, 'chorus and minor solo singing'

I know that one of my friends is singing a song called 'I have dreamed' from The King and I. She's been doing stuff with S.T.A.G (company name) for years, I wouldn't be suprised if she got a lead.
EDITED_BY: xabandonedx (1106568981)

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
So not Maria, but maybe more Anita's range? More of a alto than a sopprano... I agree with Flashpoint on sticking to musical songs... And maybe expanding beyond ALW as well. There's tons of other great musicals beyond his (although, admittedly, his are absolutely fantastic!!!) Maybe check something out from RENT (ubblove) Something with a lot of variety of emotions, so that you can show you know how to make expressions as well as singing at the same time...

good luck!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I'm not familiar with Rent.

Someone suggested singing the Phantom of the Opera? I love this song but I'm not sure.

Someone also suggested 'Over the hills and far away' by Nightwish.

Then someone else suggested 'My Immortal' By Evanescence which I can sing well, but following Flashpoint's advice..I shouldn't do pop/rock music.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Rent is an absolutely amazing musical about a group of people managing to scrape by and getting their rent to live in NYC. Full of laughter, romance, tragedy, and death caused by AIDS. Me looooves it!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

AlfredSILVER Member
Altyd Brandend
149 posts

Posted:
Written by: xabandonedx

I can belt out any heartwrenching ballad I like. But is it apporpriate to sing a heartwrenching ballad when you're auditioning? I don't know.

I am also in the Musical Theatre scene and if you can only choose one song pic one that chalenges your "look".This is what i mean:If you have the "leading lady" look aka hotty, go for a balad to show your emotional range.If you are more the "character" type aka strong features do an upbeat belty song.
usually they ask 16 bars from 2 songs one uptempo and one balad~ from Musical theatre.I agree with every one dont do pop or anything else.
Let us know how it went
*break a leg*

Spinning makes my world go round

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Go with "She Bang". wink Look what it did for William Hung!

Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
The Phantom of the opera is a duet.
If you were to do a phantom song, do "think of me", cracking song for a good voice. I assume you have a light voice (Like a glass harp ish) as My Immortal was suggested...

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
You know the crappest thing. I had a dream last night that one of my best friends kept singing me this song and it brought me to tears because I was all heartbroken and stuff in the dream and she had a beautiful voice and I loved hearing her sing it.

It was a well known kind of love song, something like 'A Whole New World', but it wasn't.

I woke up and I thought, that song she sand would be perfect to sing.

But I can't remember it.

I know that Phantom of the opera is a duet, but I'm sure I could sing both parts. I don't know. I'll keep thinking for a bit.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
It looks like it's going to be 'On My Own' from Les Mis.

More suggestions welcome....and needed, heh

Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Its a goodie, thats for sure...

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Make up my heart or U.N.C.O.U.P.L.E.D - from Starlight Express
Close every door - from Joseph
On my own - les mis - very good.
Might be worth picking up a andrew lloyd webber type music book and having a flick through and trying some out. Could be worth it to find the right song. Probably would help if somebody played along with you to check the pitch and things are in the right scale.

Gayle.....!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
holy grail, by the hunters and collectors biggrin biggrin biggrin ubblol

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Holy grail? Haha don't think so!