Page:
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello there...

You must be searching for fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland!

Hellos and welcome biggrin hug

We have a small community here, but it's growing very fast and there are people spinning stuff right across the country.

If you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post on the [Old link] to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here...

So welcome, and hope to see you soon wave

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit )… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). 3 euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet on Bolton Street (?!)

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1174485818)

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
wavehello

Tis true im in cork but Feartine is in Dublin

Zarkia and her brand new fire poi are in cork too as is Colm (doesnt post so much)

Helen of Poi, Squarefish and Deepsoulsheep in Dublin too (evantually, all on their travels)

Also, in Cork is the UCC juggling club Cork Community Circus , both open on monday tuesday nights respectively.

Dublin has a number of juggling clubs. Trinity on tuesdays and DIT and UCD also have clubs though im not sure which nights there on.

Theres a yahoo group listing irish events here: Fireland

Tainted is also in Belfast and Dragon Princess is floating around the country somehwhere on tour. Belfast also has a rockin Circus School and the whole of the north is covered in hippes and party goers. Check out 'thesession.com'

Any and all are welcome to come and visit. Were always looking for an excuse to burn something.

[Old link]

Happy spinning

a

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
that's "the-session.com"

tongue

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Tamlinnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hey guys...i'm visiting from the wonderful land of Oz. Pretty crap at Poi trying to learn though. Living in Drumcondra would love a lesson or two. Will supply beer in exchange....?

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
just sent you a PM

and i'll have a cider thanks ubbrollsmile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

grrracenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Hello all!
I don't suppose there are any Galway-ens on the board? I spoke to some spinners from various places around Ireland who were in Galway for a couple of nights, and one of them said that Galway probably had the largest congregation of twirlers in Ireland. Where are you all that's what I want to know?

I'm from Australia, can't do poi, but am a beginner staff twirler. I'd love to meet others in Galway, because I'm going to be here for a while, and I don't know anyone other than my housemates and a friend I met at Barnacles Hostel!

Hope you guys can help me out! smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
wave

Hello and welcome!

We've just been in Galway for the big juggling convention... I'm sure there are lots of people around... but if not... there's lots of us in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Belfast.

Check out the Irish dancing thread in the events section and say hi!

Mad-11Member
14 posts

Posted:
High peeps,

I wanna meet other poi-peeps in Ireland aswell I'm going 2 Dublin & Galway 4 sure, would be nice 2 know were the hot-poi-spots are. Im from Holland "Maastricht" wanna share my skills & learn more...
So CU in Ireland ;-)
Mad-11

fire_walk_with_me_11@yahoo.com

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
wavehelloMad-11

All the info you need to know (and plenty that you don't) is available in the [Old link]

Do come in, introduce yourself, and ask all the questions you want!

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

ggMember
5 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone,
I'm new nice to know theres so many people here from Ireland , I'm from Cork and was wondering if there anyone around the area to give me a few tips.
Cheers

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there wave

Nice to (virtually) meet you smile

Come introduce yourself on the all-ireland fire community thread over in the events section.

We're planning a gathering for Sept 24 on Tara... you'd be most welcome biggrin

Take care
Clare x

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
bounce

hello... just bringing this page back into view... it even dropped from the search function...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
ooh just in time. This sounds like an appropriate thread with not ooooo many posts....

[Old link] would Love a welcome to Ireland!

I'm thinking to fly from Blackpool into Dublin (or wherever else someone invites me at this point!) on a supercheap Ryanair flight a few days before the EJC. About the 5th or 6th of July.

Would heart a place to stay/someone to meet me/drag me off on a road trip with a bunch of hippies/show me the sights/ get me to EJC eventually!

Flights are stooopid cheap at the moment, so I'd love some quick advice/ invitations!!!

ADDED ON BIT"

So I shall be arriving on 5th July to meet with the lovely Aoife and James!!

See ya'll soon!

biggrin
EDITED_BY: newgabe (1146829860)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Hellooo
I am another Aussie that will be invading Irealnd : ) are there any good Irish music sessions that are open to traveling musicians? I play Celtic Mandolin : )

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
***bump for updates****

biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I dont think eimhin is running the juggling club.., or he's very good at saying nuthin... and given who we are talking about thats entirley possible.. but i dont think he is...

also, the cork community circus does have a small charge to cover the rent of the hall. €3 or something.

And theres the Limerick Juggling Jlub. Run by Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan. Every thursday night in the Limerick Youth Centre on lower glentworth street. 7-9pm

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks... update in process smile

PlugInClaireyBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
*waves* wave
hi all, im Claire from Dublin, just ordered my first poi, and as soon as i get enough practice to stop hitting myself in the face with em, i may just turn up to some events weavesmiley

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
welcome

Hi Claire smile

Good to have more Dublin HoPpers about the place.

Whereabouts in Dublin are you Claire? And will we see you at the Dublin Juggling Convention next month?

By the way, you'll generally find all of the Irish spinners hanging out in [Old link] Come in and help yourself to some tea and a brownie.

weavesmiley
EDITED_BY: Helen_of_poi (1172526793)

Helen_of_Poi

78 posts

Posted:
heya, thanks for the lovely welcome! im in santry, if ive improved by then ill more than likely be there!
provided im not working.... ah screw work, ill be there! beerchug

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
ubblol

That's the spirit beerchug

I'm way down the southside myself, in Ballinteer. And juggling conventions are there for you to improve at - the perfect opportunity to ask loads of questions and learn loads of stuff. No previous knowledge required smile

Helen_of_Poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
:bump:

For some reason, this thread doesn't show up when you go to Ireland in the meet others list... so I thought I'd bump it, in case that works biggrin

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
so did ya make it in the end? I'm up in swords so only up the road from ya smile

update:

The Irish juggling website lives!!

go visit emerald circus smile

jessfaerieSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
beep beep.

its only 3 months till i arrive in dublinnnn!!!!

willanyonebemyfriend?

"...life is like John Howard- too short to waste time worrying..."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Lots of people, no doubt smile

jessfaerieSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
eeep!

biggrin

"...life is like John Howard- too short to waste time worrying..."

GrayWolfSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
GrayWolf hopping aboard here!

I used to live in the Netherlands, but am currently in the process of moving to Bangor, County Down. It's kind of hard leaving everything behind to start a-new, so I'm seeking out those with similar interested and will hopefully have a fun loving bunch of new friends to look forward to smile

78 posts

Posted:
 Written by: splinterific

so did ya make it in the end? I'm up in swords so only up the road from ya smile

update:

The Irish juggling website lives!!

go visit emerald circus smile

noooooo i had to work in the end... ive since given up tho! smile

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GrayWolf

GrayWolf hopping aboard here!

I used to live in the Netherlands, but am currently in the process of moving to Bangor, County Down. It's kind of hard leaving everything behind to start a-new, so I'm seeking out those with similar interested and will hopefully have a fun loving bunch of new friends to look forward to smile

oh i believe Clare is actually from Bangor...so ya could be sorted so smile no doubt she'l be in soon.

clairey...ya gave up? frown

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Yep yep.... it's grand, we've been in touch smile

Thanks mister
x

78 posts

Posted:
 Written by: splinterific

clairey...ya gave up? frown

gave up work, not poi!! smile altho i havnt been on here in ages, damn college!

Page: