Page:
dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I guess this is a weird post... But I'm weird so there wink

I thought that in the light of recent posts I would expand on something that has been taking up some of my time lately... Visiting cementaries...

Does anyone else find cementarys facinating. I mean not just the arquitecture (sp?) but also the implications that burying our dead will have on the land. Or why we feel to preserve that which is impermanent after all everything in life has a line of impermanence...

Does anyone else take pictures of things found in cementaries and do you know of any (in the whole world, yes) that might be interesting for me to visit...???

I have visited the WW2 graves in Normandy in France... The largest cemetary in Europe in Genoa, Italy and several where I'm from and here in England...

I find them all so facinating!

Well I hope some people share my somewhat bizzare interest in how we lay our loved to sleep the eternal sleep.

Smiles

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i love graveyards! biggrin i have heaps of photographs of various cemetaries around brisbane!

i don't know what it is that i particularly like about them...but people tell me i'm weird too, so maybe that's it! but i just like going there...and i really like taking photos...that gets me a few odd looks!! ubblol

next time i'm in sydney i am planning to go to rookwood cemetary...apparently it's huge! and lots of my ancestors are buried there!

it's odd actually, cos when i die i want to be cremated and my ashes scattered in the wind off a cliff or into the ocean or something! biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I also would like to be cremated... or more recently be buried and have a tree planted on my burial site!

Ah how lovely!

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
hehe - i think a tree is a nice idea! though i have one of those somewhere already! my mum planted one for me when i was born - well, she probably planted it a week or so later!! tongue

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I like graveyards too. They can often be the most peaceful and quiet spot in a city... even if you're not there to visit anyone's gravestone, it can be nice to take a walk.

There's also the history and stories associated with them.
That Brisbane graveyard is supposed to be one of the most haunted in Australia... and I think Lisa and Aidan will have stories to tell about a graveyard in Edinburgh when they get home.

As long as you have respect for the families of those whose remains lie around you, I think it's healthy to enjoy the surroundings of a graveyard - it takes away the fear that a graveyard is only a place you visit when you die.

Getting to the other side smile

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
which brisbane one? i know there are ghost tours of a few...i heard toowong is haunted. biggrin

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
the only graveyard i have a picture of is one in france, which is a war memorial graveyard, and you get to a point in the middle, where all you can see in every direction except for the path, is chalk white gravestones. it's very moving. just shows how much of a waste of life any war is

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
thats why i never go into those bits of graveyards...but they do make for incredible photos...

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
i didnt mean to go to that bit. i knew it might've been there, but i was on a school history trip, and we were jsut walking through, and my bag strap broke, i stopped to pick my bag up, looked around and was just stunned by the scene

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I visit graveyards all the time too. They're wonderful places. So still and peaceful, and they make you forget your troubles, because eventually you're going to die and they won't be important anymore. That sounds really black but I think it's beautiful. Death is a part of life and not something scary or evil... and I think sitting under a tree in a graveyard on a quiet sunny afternoon is a wonderful reflection of that.

It's also beautiful to see families come to visit their loved ones. I think that's a wonderful image of humanity... these creatures who know that loved ones have left them, but visit their shell to show they're not forgotten.

Sorry, I'm a bit philosophical today as you may have noticed ubbsmokinvegas

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Respect, philosophy is quite brilliant!

Well its great I think I am going to do a story board of the ones I visit in London.... Marx is buried in Highgate cementary in north London...

I am a bit pissed as I missed Arlington cementary in Washington DC when I was there but I guess I will go when my dad decides to call it quits. (hopefully not too soon, I love me family!)

Havokist:

I was extremely moved by the WWII cemebtary in France.... Thousands of little white crosses and some stars of david... I cried so much that day; I didnt understand why we go to war if all we get is huge burial grounds... Like a medal of honor is really going to bring someones son back... Also I found it really touching to see that at one end of the cementary there was a HUGE wall with names of people whos remaigns where never found... It hurt me to see that.... Some families dont even have a grave to go to...

CRAZY!

hugs people and keep dancing!
smiles

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I have never really visited graveyards... But a couple months ago, I went to a cemetary with my host mum and oma to visit opa's grave. It was very... moving. I don't know why, but while visiting that cemetary, I had a much larger appreciation of life, and the people around me. I guess it made me realize just how fragile our lives really are. That simple 1h walk on an October afternoon changed some major opinions I used to have. It was maybe even a spiritual experience?? I don't know, maybe!

I've always wanted to go look at more cemetaries, but never have the chance...

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
it makes you think if there is anything after you die, or is it like th unconcious-ness that you get when sleeping, but you can't wake up from it. i guess no one knows until it happens...

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Havokist

like th unconcious-ness that you get when sleeping, but you can't wake up from it

I like that thought. I could live with that (well, not live with it, obviously), just one long dream for ever and ever.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I don't think there is anything after death - but I think it helps to believe that there is.

I think when we die our heart stops beating. The blood stops moving. And the neurons in our brain stop firing. And that is it. We go back to nothingness - just like every species around us.

This is not negative, rather it makes me appreciate life more. It reminds me to take more chances and risks... because one day my heart will stop and there will be nothing left to risk.

That is another thing that comes from walking round graveyards - the sense that we should live while we can, because we will all have to stop one day.

I suppose visiting such places is a positive, life-affirming thing for me smile

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
there's also the theory that after our bodies die, ours minds just wander off and find something else to amuse itself for another period of time

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

And the neurons in our brain stop firing.

Don't make me smack you with my Mind-Brain Identity Theory textbook wink

Thoreau

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
i like graveyards ebcause it's one of the only places around my house with some peace and quite

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
lol. it might do her some good,

but make sure you hit her with the right page, that way she'll have the technical text imprinted where-ever you hit her, if you hit her hard enough
EDITED_BY: Havokist (1106499608)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Havokist... for that to happen the mind would have to be a seperate entity (also, I'm female biggrin).

But please, smack away ubblol

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
spank (my book is a very odd shape, you see) ubblol

Thoreau

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, always good to learn something new biggrin

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
especially if it just happens to end up imprinted on a body part, that way if you ever forget, it'll be there for reference.
you could be nearly_all_gone's walking Mind-Brain Identity Theory textbook

now you dont get to become one of those everyday ubbloco

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Wow. Should I be honoured and offer to follow him around?

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
well it'd be an easy way to get favours off him, sexual or otherwise. 'cause you could say "look, im not your Mind-Brain Identity Theory textbook for nothing, now do [insert favour here]"

if you should be honoured is another matter, i dont know on that one, ill have to wait til i know him better tongue

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hahahahah. biggrin

Pah, there are many easier ways to get a boy to do as I want... having the text of a book imprinted on a bodily part seems unnecessary.

ubblol

PS: This is all horrifically off-topic and nothing whatsoever to do with graveyards!

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Well look at that, I come offline for 5 minutes and someone's got me doing sexual favours for a walking textbook!

Thoreau

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol

Lucky you biggrin

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
The internet truly is a wonderful invention wink ubblol

Thoreau

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
there are some lovely graveyards in edinburgh.

the grey friars grave yard is next to a prison. some of the old cells are tombs now are the place is covered in masonic symbols. skulls and cross bones all over the place. theres even a skeleton carved on one wall.

we were told this was the most haunted graveyard in europe. it certainly did have an energy about it.

plans are to go visit in the middle of the night and see wha its like.

th guy that was telling us the story was saying that he's taken so man y photos in there that have gone completley wrong for no reason. colors appearing that werent in the original shot and other weird stuff,

i love graveyards. especially older ones were people werent packed in so tight. seems like there is a peace about some of those places and its nice every once in a while to sit and share a space with people of the past.

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

Hahahahah. biggrin

Pah, there are many easier ways to get a boy to do as I want... having the text of a book imprinted on a bodily part seems unnecessary.

ubblol

PS: This is all horrifically off-topic and nothing whatsoever to do with graveyards!

umm

hug

Love is the law.

Page: