Page: ...
MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ive been working to categorize all types of flowers in an attempt to find more. I believe Ive finally finished and have discovered many new ones (to me) along the way. Decided to share what Ive got in an attempt to both educate those who may not be aware of some of them as well as get info on any I may be missing. Heres the breakdown...

There are 4 categories of flowers:
-Basic flowers
-Counter flowers
-Goofy flowers
-Half flowers

Basic flowers are the simplest and usually the first ones people learn. They're just your average flower where the poi and arms are both rotating in the same directional pattern (ie, poi are spinning forward chase/arms are spinning forward chase; and poi are spinning forward butterfly/arms are spinning forward butterfly)

Counter flowers are what Ive been calling anti-spin flowers before all the anti-spin jargon started. You can call them what you want, but in this case, they're counter flowers smile They're the ones where your arms rotate opposite (or counter) the direction your poi are spinning (ie your poi are rotating forward chase/your arms are rotating reverse chase; and your poi are rotating forward butterfly while your arms are rotating reverse butterfly)

Goofy is the term Ive come up with to describe flowers where your arms are doing the wrong directional pattern for the way the poi are spinning (ie your poi are doing butterfly but your arms are rotating chase, and vice verce). This forces one poi to always be doing counter spin while the other always does normal.

Half flowers are where your arms only complete half a rotation before going back the way they came forcing the poi to do normal spin one way, then counter spin on the way back.

All of these can be done as a chase or as a butterfly, in split or same time. Its also great to be able to turn all of these 360 and some of them are actually easier that way.

Anyway, gimme some feedback, especially if you have some flower ideas I havent yet thought of.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
It all makes so much more sense under the influence of alcohol...

Does anyone else find antispin flowers easier when doing more than 4 beats?

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Since they have been referenced a few times now, here are the animations for a few flowers I made:

Non-Https Image Link

Buzzsaw fountain with lockouts

Non-Https Image Link

Goofy chase flower

Non-Https Image Link

Alternating parallel lockouts

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Very cool. The buzzsaw fountain looks nice. Might try that one later on.

I love the last one. I do something similar with butterfly

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
Is it just me that finds that flowers are really, really frustrating to learn? I just started, just a basic four-point flower, and I find it impossible to think of the poi rotating one way, my arms rotating in another, and then my arms not being at the same point... any practice tips floating about that would make these less... impossible?

PS, Icon? That first vid is a realy cute trick. I like it.
EDITED_BY: Saskeah (1149609299)

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

If your Poi rotates different way than hands than you are
anti-spinning, in that case you can try to pass, step by
step, all four positions of anti-spin.

Practise solo your right hand on your right side
and left on your left. Than you can start with
hands straight in line the full pattern.

lighting,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I got into flowers by messing about with weaves and lockouts and then mcp and bluecat showed me a few interesting things. My advice is to learn the weave-flower first as it really helps when learning flower turns (one of my many new babies).

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
https://www.playpoi.com/secretofflowers

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
WOW, Secret of Flowers... everything I wanted to know! I've been missing out... I had no idea flowers could be so freeing! Right, this is next on my agenda after I nail BTB waist wraps.

Cheers Nick for an ace vid! clap biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
managed to get my split time flowers looking quite nice now. I can actually do antispin flowers, although they look pretty crap my brain has figured out how to do them.

like patting head and rubbing stomach times 8

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Hurray! I've finally put up a proper flowers video Tutorial:

The Secret of Poi Flowers

Let me know whatcha think biggrin

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Oh, yeah, and in case you didn't know: I've finally started a proper thread where I'll be releasing new videos and tutorials every month or two:

[Old link]

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I've just about nailed 4 point antispin flowers, never thought I'd get it before I watched that vid Nik! clap

One point though: Everybody seems to do their lockouts at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock , 6 and 9. I'm finding it MUCH easier to do them at the diagonals, ie 1.5, 4.5, 7.5 and 10.5 o'clock.

I suppose both approaches are equally valid, and really I should practise both equally, but any thoughts anyone? confused

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
do you mean like this sambo:

[Old link]

that's garthy's avatar which is a photo of him doing 4 petal antispin flowers with the 'beats' (i.e. the poi pass his arms) at 3, 6, 9, 12...

this is the same way i do mine (except nowhere near as clean as that).

some people prefer (or choose) to make that pattern a '+' instead of an 'x'.

this is where the poi are pointing directly away from your arms at 3, 6, 9 and 12.

or if you can spin the same pattern with quartertime poi, you get a mix of the two:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Ahhh, so counting the beats when they come past your arms is the way! I was wondering how to count them...

I was refering to when the poi are furthest outwards, which I do at the x points. Guess that means if I'm counting beats as the poi go past my arms, it actually IS at the + points.

All becomes clear!! Cheers Cole, you're a star! hug

I'm loving that quartertime thingy. Hmm, I wonder what would happen if you kept your arm circle movements 180 degrees apart like a usual flower, but spun the poi in polyrhythm? 3:2 for example? If the hand doing the 2 did 4 points, one on each beat, you'd get a 4 petal flower with that hand and a 6 petal flower with the other hand... or something.... I'm loving polyrhythms....

ubbidea

*wonders off stroking beard and staring into middle distance*

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
not quite polyrhythm (which I'm loving by the way, thanks cole) but one thing I find fun to play with is different foils...as in one arm doing quadrifoil and one doing trifoil.

piccy

granted the exposure is too short, but you get the idea

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if I'm doing an x or a + with my antispin flowers. In fact, until Sambo's post I hadn't really given it much thought. I might just be making a total mess.

Guess I'll have to get out my el cheapo camera and take some shots in order to figure it out, either that, or buy a proper camera, one that I can control exposure time with.

fireNice...Big kudos to the tutorials you've been putting up lately....much appreciated smile

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Right, since Cole's post I've been trying to count beats when the poi pass my arms in + formation, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I prefer to think of a beat as when the poi is lined up with my arm (ie, shoulder, hand, poi head in a line), and count it in X formation, I find it easier. ubbrollsmile

Is there any reason why it's better to think of it one way or the other? I'm intrigued, and I don't want to get into bad habits... biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
thanks stout, its an ongoing process, between having time to do it, and actually going out and doing it.....and not being lazy ubblol

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
OK, with a bit more practise/messing with it, I retract my previous statement, it makes a LOT more sense to count when the poi cross your arms. You can judge much easier in relation to your own body than by an external point on a hypothetical circle! ubbloco Especially when you try other configurations of petals, the common reference point is useful! Cheers everyone! hug hug

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Does anyone else find that when doing 4 point antispin flowers, it *feels* like you're actually only doing three beats?

Because how you count beats in a weave is different to how you count beats in a flower? confused

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
-bump-

How the bleep do you count goofy flowers where your arms are going the same direction but the poi are going opposites? Because in normal forward flowers, you do 5 circles, and in antispin you do 3, so it follows that if your arms are always 180 degrees apart, the poi must be moving at different speeds in order to count the beats as they go past your arms. Is this correct?

Cause it's doing my head in.... ubbloco

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
count every time the poi head pases your shoulder....

or stop coutng and do it, geek :P

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
 Written by: [Nx?

]
count every time the poi head pases your shoulder....

or stop coutng and do it, geek :P

T wave

ubblol Geeky? Moi? Actually, yes, extremely.... rolleyes

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Page: ...