Forums > Social Discussion > The Chirstians in my country are going overboard!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
So i just read an aticial on msnbc.msn.com that said some of the Christian fundamentalists her in the "land of tolerance" (yea right) are attacking Spounge Bob, Barney and other cartoons for "promoting acceptance of homosexuals"

first off i didnt know promoting acceptance of others was a problem, but i guess is it here! secondly, they are reaching at this point,

sorry that really pisses me off, this is why i turned my back on christianity, and why several people i know did. on one hand they preach exceptance, and then contradict themselves in the same sentence.............does any one else feel this way???

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

Wonder MonkeyBRONZE Member
Certainly confused
121 posts

Posted:
Written by: psycho44

What he objects to is that he feels that these cartoons are being hijacked to teach young children about homosexuality. Also just for the record I am a Christian and my beliefs are that being a Christian doesn't get you to Heaven, accepting Christ does!

Does learning about crime make you a criminal? Surly, its only adults perceiving the problem, and indeed perceiving homosexuality as a problem. Why encourage their children to judge through labels? I reckon most kids are completely oblivious to the 'sexual' undertones, much like they are to the more adult ones in the simpsons, futurama, or family guy.

Isnt a Christain defined as someone who accepts christ? so how can not accept christ and call themselves christian? confused

My Mummy Says Im Special

bounce ubbloco bounce

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Love Bill hicks. You should read his book. he slates christians in a very fair and logical way bounce2

Grow old but never grow up

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Written by: psycho44

Ok first there were two main groups who were opposing not any one particular cartoon, but a video that was made with many cartoons. One group appologized after realizing that they had confused the song writer's web site with another web site and the other group is led by Dr. James Dobson he has stated that the cartoons themselves are not a problem to him, neither is the video. What he objects to is that he feels that these cartoons are being hijacked to teach young children about homosexuality. Also just for the record I am a Christian and my beliefs are that being a Christian doesn't get you to Heaven, accepting Christ does!

The song taught tolerance...tolerance of people who may be different. There was not one mention of homosexuality in the song that I know of.

What is wrong about teaching kids to be tolerant of everyone, accepting of everyone? If you accept Christ and call yourself a Christian, then you would be tolerant of everyone, including homosexuals.

Sorry, but Dobson's drive is narrow-minded and biggoted in my humble opinion.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

psycho44BRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
Yes tolerance which I guess is like some kind of key word for homosexual groups. It does seem a little silly, but that seems to be the basis of the argument against the video.Also the point that I was trying to make about accepting Christ is that I feel that you can get to heaven without being a Christian.My children are taught from the bible. The big thing that we focus on is loving others. They are taught that we can love people even if we don't love what they are doing. To us that is between them and God and is none of our concern.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
though my experiances ive come to the conclusion that christianity as a whole is inherently evil due to its creation at the hands of man...who are born evil because of original sin
as well as the bible proves itself to be a hipocracy and voids the religion

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

dafunkymahnmember
54 posts

Posted:
Tell me, where and what does Christianity teach on the subject of acceptance?

What is tolerance? Should someone accept everyone and everything? As a parent would you allow a convicted child molester to baby sit your child? If you did not, would you be intolerant?

If you view something like homosexuality as wrong, are you really being intolerant of homosexuals or are you being intolerant of homosexual activities? Can someone be intolerant of homosexual acts yet be tolerant of homosexuals? Would they be wrong?

Who are you to judge someone and call them intolerant, for if you do, are you not being intolerant of their views or opinions?

Is Christianity really a mass guilt trip, or is it freedom from guilt? How do you know either way?

Is Christianity a bad thing, or is it the Christians who are subverting the Word of God that are the bad thing?

If Christians truly applied their "belief" to their life, what would anyone have to say against them?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The problem isn't Christianity. Lumping all Christians together is no more fair than calling all Muslims terrorists.

The problem is FUNDAMENTALISM. And it doesn't matter what flavor it comes in, be it Hindu, Jewish, Bhuddist (yes, such a thing exists!), Muslim, or...yes...even Christian.

I know plenty of good, friendly, open-hearted and open-minded Christians who take to heart Jesus's message of love, humility, and non-judgementalism. They are the true Christians.

The Fundamentalists (who, if you read your Bible, could actually be reasonably interpreted to have fallen to Satan) are the ones who have perveted Christ's message to hate, arrogance, and judgement.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
tell me more about these fundamentalist buddhists you mentioned, lightening...

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Good point, Lightning.

I too know some good hearted Christians....my cousins and aunt to begin with.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

1,489 posts

Posted:
***********************UPDATE**********************

conservatives are now calling for the cancelation of The Flintstones because, and i quote

"Fred and Barney should be banned becasue they are virtualy inseparable, never wear pants, and live in the suggestivley-named town of BedRock"

yup Fred and Barney are gay now too.........
so whats next porky pig? he never wears pants.......what about bugs bunny, hes a cross dresser........

and going off the "virtualy inseperable" i never knew that hanging out with your best friend made you gay? damn i guess im gay for hanging out with grasshoppah all the time......well i got to go break the news to my wife that im gay now.......because i hang out with my friend.........thanks conservatives i never would have know.................in case you cant tell theres sarcasm involved here

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
That's a joke ?

right wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

1,489 posts

Posted:
i wish it was

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Where did you hear it? Do you have a URL, because I can't find anything about it on the internet (with a 2sec google search!).

I also have quite a few RSS feeds that talk about Chirstians doing stupid things and none of them have talked about either.

I only ask because there a quite a few spoof sites out there.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

1,489 posts

Posted:
www.msnbc.msn.com

look under the news week on-line edition, if you scroll down its on the mid-left hand side.......

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Oh...! I see it's in the Satire section!

Thats ok.

For those interested, the link is: https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6934878/site/newsweek/

You might want to check out https://www.theonion.com/
as well, they have some very funny things on there, the latest is:

"Latest Bin Laden Videotape Wishes America 'A Crappy Valentine's day'"

ubblol

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I'd just like to add that the MSNBC web site is one of the worst news sites I've ever seen! Shame on them.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
If it weren't for Christian fundamentalists, I never would have known how evil I used to look. I used to have long hair down to my waist, a goatee, and odd clothes. And I was shunned by those very conservatives. Then I'd stand next to a picture of Jesus and they'd have to shut up. biggrin

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

1,489 posts

Posted:
Written by: Prometheus

Then I'd stand next to a picture of Jesus and they'd have to shut up. biggrin

ubblol

im just wondering who will be next?what about yogi bear and bobo........they live togehter......does that make them suggestive?

its just sad that people will look for any reason and any outlet to make homosexuality seem like satans tool,

and please keep in that this is comeing from "The Land of Freedom and Tolerance"

Chi_StaffSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
if this really bothers you guys, should read up on some Bill Hicks, the man was a legend and had LOADS to say on the christian right. We hav our share of christian nutters in Blighty too, was accosted by one the other day whilst doing sum promo work for my martial arts school. Which by the way, is pure evil, she reckons. I say its teaching respect, good behaviour and morals to kids in the local community who dont hav any where else to learn it, she says its evil because we pray to THE WRONG GOD?! i say its non religious, which apparently makes me a heathen. I should devote my time to running around telling everyone how great God is apparently. I told her if God wont let me in to heaven unless i spend my whole life telling every1 who'll listen then he dusnt sound like the kinda god i want to spend all of eternity with. "and the Shite did hitteth the fan"

Whatever it is, If it makes you happy and you're not hurting anybody then you are making the world a better place.

The world always looks nicer when you're spinning.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Although I'm not one to stop people laughing at Religion for it's many flaws, this story was a joke...not real, made up by someone.

****There is no real campaign to ban the Flintstones.****

Stone, you are right, this is a joke.

If you want to make fun of them, please laugh at the right wind punching creationism in schools. There have tried to get a sticker on school text books stating that evolution is ‘just a theory – not fact’!

In fact, I don’t see that as a laughing matting at all but some might!

Luckily if went to court and the judge managed to let to truth win:
https://www.chriscmooney.com/blog.asp?Id=1520

Or for a real giggle at the hard of thinking:

https://www.corante.com/loom/archives/ms_schlafly_you_receive_an_f.php

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fryed Fish

So i just read an aticial on msnbc.msn.com that said some of the Christian fundamentalists her in the "land of tolerance" (yea right) are attacking Spounge Bob, Barney and other cartoons for "promoting acceptance of homosexuals"

ubblol ubblol ubblol
My word!!! That is one of the funniest things i have heard in a long time!!! How are they?!! Do you have a link so i can go and read this???

Written by: Fryed Fish

sorry that really pisses me off, this is why i turned my back on christianity, and why several people i know did. on one hand they preach exceptance, and then contradict themselves in the same sentence.............does any one else feel this way???

I turned my back on christianity years ago, and from a personnal point of view, it was one of the best things i ever did.
I answer to myself, not some 'God'!!!
But my family are still very much that way inclined and i don't knock them or any one else for that or their beliefs, everyone needs something to believe in, no matter how stupid it may be wink
Loads of love
Taking it easy
Trippie

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

TeeJaymember
75 posts

Posted:
Ummm.........

Guys - I'm Christian...........and I also love Spongebob and don't like him being attacked by crazies.

Please don't think ALL Christians are stupid.....there are some of us who really know what we believe and who follow Jesus' true teachings.

Teejay

Teejay

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
TeeJay, you do whatever you want, that fine with me.

I only have a problem with people who impose religion on me.

I think the guy who wrote the Spongebob thing was highlighting the stupidity of some religious groups who do give others in the wider group a bad name. To me it’s no different than joking about a Muslim fundamentalist. (That’s why I posted the link about the Christian creationists)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
What the Christians were saying earlier on in the thread, about Jews not going to heaven, Weren't many of the people mentioned in the bible Jewish?

Was Jesus not adorned with a Crown of Thorns signifying that he was 'The King of the JEWS', and a 'plaque' reading: INRI which meant something like King of the JEWS.

Christians worship a JEW.

Didn't Moses, the scribe of those ten freakin' commandments ask the pharoah to "release the Hebrew Slaves"? Or "let HIS people go"?

Doesn't most, if not all, of the bible take place in and around Israel? Wasn'nt jesus born in bethlehem, which, last time I checked, was in israel, which was the "Land of Milk and Honey" that moses was leading the hebrew slaves to?

Hypocracy. Can't stand it.

I myself have no religion. I can tolerate the concept of infinity. I myself believe that the only 'all-powerful being' in my life is Me. I have the power to change things in my life. Not some "God" that I believe is nothing more than a story some people made up when they couldn't be arsed to explain or investigate several factors in the creation of life.

I do apologise to any people I have offended. I do not mean to impose my beliefs on others, but instead, prefer people to be allowed to make up their own mind.

Rant over.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Page: