Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Manchester Spinners Meet up Info + Stuff

Login/Join to Participate
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
juggle weavesmiley Manchester Spinner’s Meet up and stuff weavesmiley juggle

Hi all If you are looking for people to spin poi with in the North west this is the place to be.

For any one new to this sight DON’T READ THE WHOLE THREAD it has been going a long time and contains lots of old information and chat about previous meet ups and organisation stuff just go to the last few posts to find out the most up-to-date information on current events.

First a bit of info the Manchester spinners lot is no professional spinning troop or organised events it is just a group of people who get together to enjoy themselves. The first meet up was organised way beck in September 04 https://delizium.fotopic.net/c291964.html

The crowd has changed a bit from back then but we have kept a few old timers we welcome all along to come and join us for a spin whether you be experienced or a complete beginner we are willing to teach and learn from you.

Their is no set time for the meet ups they are usually organised around when people can make it and how long they can stay.

I will try to update this first post as often as I can with the most up-to-date info on meet ups and club nights that allow spinning but if I'm being a bit lax just find the last few posts foe up-to-date info (like I said before weren’t you paying attention)

To date the standard meets have gone as meet up in Piccadilly gardens at 4pm (nice central point where every one can get to) Then move on down to the Gas Works/CastleField or Plat fields Park depending on the wether till everyone gets to cold/tired/burned then on to the pub

( anybody who doesn’t know where this is it can be arranged for someone to come meet you at the train station or wherever you are coming from .) smile

{ ubblove We are a nice bunch like that ubblove}

Accommodation for a night can usually be arranged but you need to sort this well in advance no just turning up expecting somewhere to sleep eek

(more to be added and all to be spell checked soon)

pm me any info you would like to add

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i wish i'd come now! i woke up feeling great and ended up just having a quiet night in with a couple of relatives. would've preferred to be out with you guys!!!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

_Chris_GOLD Member
93 posts

Posted:
Hay everyone! great little meet on sunday, had a gudden and pub was fun too!

im tempted to buy some powerisers now, bin lookin at em on firetoys..... hmmmm tempting...

Pete said you everyone was cool smile

hopefully the better wether will bring out more to the next!

wich is WheN by the way???

Order and pyromancie as one, controlling chaos.
4 8 15 16 23 42

Psykotik2912newbie
26 posts

Posted:
Alright guys, so far I have 6 pictures up on my Flickr account from the meet. Initially I've chosen ones where I'm showing I can use the camera, as I'm going to be showing these to my college course on Thursday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7456230@N08/

Tonight I'll be uploading more of the fire spinning itself though. So keep your eyes peeled.

I've been thinking about what subjects I'm going to focus on for my City & Guilds projects (I have to have two sets of 6 pictures on two subjects). Topic themes include 'A day in the life of...', and 'A public meet/gathering', so I'm sure I can work a HoP meet into that somehow.

For the next meet or two I'm going to be solely taking pictures, having to get a set of 6. So if you guys don't mind, I don't want all of them to be of fire-spinning. There'll be portrait shots and the like thrown in, and I'll be looking for more artistic fire-trails on my shots.

Anyway, I've got to be getting back to work now.

R

Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a by-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a ****. - Banksy

BaltiGOLD Member
18 posts

Posted:
Dave, I've just been told by someone else that the Preston Meet is on the 7th. And it's that weeknd that I can't do. It's a good laugh though and if anyone can go then they should. There were about 150 people there last time. Avenham Park in Preston at sunset.

And nice pics Rick, I wish I could have made it.

Aim low, and succeed

the_rookieBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
gutted i didn't make it down on sunday think it had something to do with the 12 pints of guiness i had the night befor and then not gettin up until 3. does anyone know when the next meet is ?

a weekend wasted is never a wasted weekend!

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
https://www.monster-monster.co.uk/tune/bizjoined.jpg

Is it just me or does the woman under the title of cardiff look like froggie?

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
so guys, how does sunday the 29th april sound? anyone up for that? who can/cant make it....?

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

_Chris_GOLD Member
93 posts

Posted:
29th!! thats ages away! how about one on 15th as well????

4 8 15 16 23 42

Psykotik2912newbie
26 posts

Posted:
I'm up for either. I'll be there, and looking to get enough pictures to reduce the choice to 6 for one of my projects.

I've already thought about what shots they are, some are retakes of ones I took last time, if people don't mind. Of course, anyone not wanting a camera pointed at them, let me know, and I'll go easy on you smile

R

Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a by-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a ****. - Banksy

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
i was thinking big meets wise for 29th, as in its bjc on the 15th

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)

fire_fairy_liquidBRONZE Member
enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
hey guys i back .... again lol

do we still hold the meets in the gasworks? i was just wondering... i really ben out of the loop with things but have now got some fire snakes which i think will be fun devil devil

can someone let me know when th next meet in the gasworks will be please

thank you

thanks for burning with me

_Chris_GOLD Member
93 posts

Posted:
yeah still at gasworks. Ok the 29th sounds like a good time for a big meet then, so lets get the word out!!! i wud be up for a mini meet like last week tho on the 15th for anyone not goin bjc

4 8 15 16 23 42

_Chris_GOLD Member
93 posts

Posted:
yeah still at gasworks. Ok the 29th sounds like a good time for a big meet then, so lets get the word out!!! i wud be up for a mini meet like last week tho on the 15th for anyone not goin bjc

psykotic, im always happy to have a camera on me so im sure weel get some great pics!

4 8 15 16 23 42

Psykotik2912newbie
26 posts

Posted:
Cheers Chris. I noticed you've taken a liking to the one of you I put on my Flickr account smile

If it possible to try and shoot a simliar one, maybe as one of the 6 I'm after, that'd be great. I'll use a flash-finish for it though, meaning you'd appear a lot clearer, rather than looking half blurred.

Anyone else? I'm looking for a re-take of my shot of Dave with the fire staff. It looks great already, but being a bit of a perfectionist, I'd like those circles a little more round.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7456230@N08/435576253/

And of course there'l be more portrait shots, but I avoid taking posed pictures. You'll know what I mean when the camera starts going off when you're not looking :P

R

_Chris_GOLD Member
93 posts

Posted:
Yeah the picks look great. it looks like a big smily face the one on my myspace now!

a 2-4 second exposure should capture each pattern nicly.with longer exposures, the first pattern will be covered by more patterens. so it will look very fiery but the initial patternt may be lost. by adding the flash finish to capture the spinner clearly will look great so im sure were gonna get some great pics!!
EDITED_BY: _Chris_ (1175452751)

4 8 15 16 23 42

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
those shots are pretty ace mate your dmn good with a flasher!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

Psykotik2912newbie
26 posts

Posted:
Get yourself to the next meet, and you'll feature on the page smile

I'm looking for two clear shots of people; one with just one person in it, and one with more... 3 or 4 I think, 5 tops. We'll see how it turns out on the day though, it may be even more people. It'll have to look somewhat artistic though. The portrait'll be in black & white, of course. The group shot may be as well.

I'm thinking of two of fire spinning: a retake of these two:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7456230@N08/435576253/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7456230@N08/435576095/
with more rounded circles on the first, and a flash on the second.

The last two I'm not sure about. A shot in the pub in the evening would be nice, so long as I could make something of it, and the 6th will probably be taken from what I have left.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Put More Up!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
They are stunning !!!!!!!!!!ubblove ubblove ubblove

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Psykotik2912newbie
26 posts

Posted:
There's loads of pictures to choose from, but it's finding those handful that stand out from the rest.

It's all well and good documenting someones spinning, almost providing a second by second (or 6 sec by 6 sec etc.) account of a performance. But despite getting hundreds of fancy pictures of fire trails, very few of those are worth presenting. At least as stand-alone pieces.

Chris's shoot in the grassy area of the Gasworks was one he asked for, rather than just me pointing a camera at what I saw. I'm more than happy to do stuff like this, especially if you have some idea what you're after smile

When is the next meet looking to be by the way?

R

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
They sure are purdy

29th for a biggie - 15th for a mini - meets that is wink

Will def make it on 29th and stay longer than 3 minutes redface and spin weavesmiley and go to the pub beerchug been tooooooo long :hugs: to all

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

killmyidolsnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
anyone know of anything going on on 7th April, I got told there was a meet on at gasworks but can't find any info.
And it's a pretty long shot but any of you going to Easter people in Blackpool?

_Chris_GOLD Member
93 posts

Posted:
Hay everyone!! i will have 3 sets of fire ropes to sell within a week or two! These fire rope poi consist of a 30-40cm 4way pleated rope with a small monkey fist for that extra bit of weight wich poeple asked for as a design improvment from my first fire rope model that some of you have used and loved!!

They will come with a welded solid chain, quick links, brass swivels, eyelets and lether handles so should last forever!!

Ive decided to price these poi at £50. pics comming soon!!!!

i will ofcourse bring the finished articals to the next meets!

4 8 15 16 23 42

firelightBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
hi guys

i would like to know when next poi meet is going be plz this month. where we all going to meet up at the gasworks or castle feild,

firelight (dawny)

love fire to play with, love the wonderful colours in the fire.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Chris_

Hay everyone!! i will have 3 sets of fire ropes to sell within a week or two! These fire rope poi consist of a 30-40cm 4way pleated rope with a small monkey fist for that extra bit of weight wich poeple asked for as a design improvment from my first fire rope model that some of you have used and loved!!

They will come with a welded solid chain, quick links, brass swivels, eyelets and lether handles so should last forever!!

Ive decided to price these poi at £50. pics comming soon!!!!

i will ofcourse bring the finished articals to the next meets!

me me me i want one i have money and everthing bounce

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
depends on how much I have left in my bank account after BJC...

Might invest in one so I WON'T turn my back on poi forever!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hahaha, neon, please teach me all you know this week wink

Creater of Jenisms(TM)

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
ALL OF IT!!!!

MWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAAAAAAA!!!!

ubbloco

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

fire_fairy_liquidBRONZE Member
enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
hi guys i know this is really last minute but what exactly is the bjc, i have been on the site and what im wondering is, will there be peple just wondering round with pois and juggling or is it shows that are put on for you to watch and learn?

the reason im asking is coz iv just found out that its this weekend. and im in derby anyways as of thursday so i was thiking if it is free entry or cheap enough for those just goin to meet peopel and spin then i might bob along, if it is jsut shows then i might not. it would only be a day trip and not stay over night or anything, unlesss someone has room in their tent for one more on one night prob fri or sat?

i just dont wanna be paying £60 for one day you see and not really have much fun.

if anyone has any info please ring me 07716797022 is my number or lee405325@aol.com email me i check it all the time. i need to know by thursday coz that is when il be setting off to derby.

thanks guys your stars

thanks for burning with me

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
hi.

anyone going to PLAY Festival with some spare car room?

i'll be flying from israel with some friends and i'll be needing a ride from manchester airport to the festival. i think we're 4 people right now.

thanks,

PoiBoi